good, inexpensive corded drill?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 9th, 2020 8:19 am
[OP]
Sep 29, 2010
538 posts
765 upvotes

good, inexpensive corded drill?

Any recos for a good, inexpensive corded drill?

Ideally lighter weight since I'll be carrying an extension cord with it, and/or with a case where there's room for the extension cord.

I'm really tired of batteries dying after a couple of years and costing more than I paid for the drill. Face With Tears Of Joy
9 replies
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2010
15508 posts
10149 upvotes
Toronto
I have a CT mastercraft 5amp drill/driver unit as a backup, weights like 2lbs and is well under $100. The weight will depend on what you need it to do.
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2007
18637 posts
6033 upvotes
London
pdipps wrote: Any recos for a good, inexpensive corded drill?

Ideally lighter weight since I'll be carrying an extension cord with it, and/or with a case where there's room for the extension cord.

I'm really tired of batteries dying after a couple of years and costing more than I paid for the drill. Face With Tears Of Joy
Rigid brushless cordless - battery and tool have lifetime warranty
[OP]
Sep 29, 2010
538 posts
765 upvotes
l69norm wrote: Rigid brushless cordless - battery and tool have lifetime warranty
Really? what's the warranty process like? Do I have to pay for shipping?
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2007
18637 posts
6033 upvotes
London
pdipps wrote: Really? what's the warranty process like? Do I have to pay for shipping?
home-depot-ridgid-18v-brushless-hammer- ... #p32573322
home-depot-ridgid-18v-brushless-hammer- ... #p32566499

"Warranty" must be properly registered/ activated within the timelines.

When the battery in the kit dies, the kit needs to be taken/ sent to a local ridgid service centre

If you have a dead battery,
1. this place can refurbish it with new cells
http://www.chansbattery.ca/
2. Chinese clone batteries are now available, but quality ?
[OP]
Sep 29, 2010
538 posts
765 upvotes
l69norm wrote: home-depot-ridgid-18v-brushless-hammer- ... #p32573322
home-depot-ridgid-18v-brushless-hammer- ... #p32566499

"Warranty" must be properly registered/ activated within the timelines.

When the battery in the kit dies, the kit needs to be taken/ sent to a local ridgid service centre

If you have a dead battery,
1. this place can refurbish it with new cells
http://www.chansbattery.ca/
2. Chinese clone batteries are now available, but quality ?
Interesting! Thanks for the links!
Dec 26, 2017
225 posts
157 upvotes
In the times of NiCad batteries yes they died quick, you might want to give Lithium ion batteries another shot. They hold charge well and last a long time, and so much better than hauling an extension cord around.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 13, 2008
6264 posts
2902 upvotes
Durham
pdipps wrote: Any recos for a good, inexpensive corded drill?

look on kijiji
16'x11' Living Room 11' Cathedral Ceiling. Hisense 65Q8G. Denon AVR-S740H 7.2 setup. Jamo Classic 10 280W Towers - FR+FL; Polk S35 - Center; Klipsch R51M - RR+RL; Klipsch R14M - Dolby FHR+FHL; Polk HTS10 Subwoofer x2. Unlocked Android Boxes from Taiwan x2
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2005
3526 posts
1717 upvotes
Mississauga
Yea I just used my new Ridgid Octane to put up my garden hose reel and the thing drilled through masonry like butter. Way cool.. was done in 10 min. Drill .. and the used the driver with 1/4 tapcons.
[OP]
Sep 29, 2010
538 posts
765 upvotes
mcmax20 wrote: In the times of NiCad batteries yes they died quick, you might want to give Lithium ion batteries another shot. They hold charge well and last a long time, and so much better than hauling an extension cord around.
I've gone through quite a few Li-ion devices. Battery degradation already sucks because you get less time, but also, less consistent power. After replacing my electric razor with corded, I really avoid cordless tools as much as possible.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)