Students

Good laptop for school?

[OP]
Feb 24, 2012
208 posts
128 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario

Good laptop for school?

Was wondering if anyone on here could recommend a good laptop to use for school. Just something good enough to take notes on and do homework, dont really care for playing games on it. As cheap as possible is ideal! Also would i probaly get the best deals in august for this?
9 replies
Jul 4, 2019
41 posts
6 upvotes
I use MB Air 2015 and I am really satisfied with it (I have it 4 years already and it still lasts more than 8 hrs). If I would have to buy a new laptop, I would probably go for MBA 2018 – it pays off in the long run. Definitely wait for Black Friday deals.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2013
3254 posts
1085 upvotes
Woodbridge
If you use Google Apps a lot then I'd seriously consider a Chromebook. What's your budget?
Feb 24, 2018
360 posts
169 upvotes
Which size do you want? 13.3" will have the lighter weight than 15.6" but a 14" one is right in the middle and might be a good medium. The difference between a 2.8 lbs 13.3" laptop versus a 4 lbs 15.6" laptop is significant.

Do you need to take notes with a pen on the laptop? This means you want a touchscreen laptop. If you simply need to type out your notes on Word or something then you don't need a touchscreen. If you don't need a touchscreen then that means you should take advantage of a matte (non-glossy) screen which has less glare and is generally far better on your eyes, just make sure that it's an IPS matte screen and not a TN matte screen so that you have better viewing angles.

In terms of specs, the most likely you want is below $1000 so something with 8 GB RAM, a 256 GB SSD, and an i5 processor. If you go above these specs, you're likely in the $1k+ price range, if you go below them then the performance can take a hit. Keep in mind that the RAM on a lot of laptops can be upgraded later to 16 GB and the hard drive space can be supplemented easily these days with an external drive.

Based on this, for touschreen, the Lenovo Flex or Dell Inspiron 5428 are 2-in-1 budget options that you might even be able to get some student discounts on. For non-touchscreen with an IPS display under $1k in the 13-14" size, you can look at Asus Zenbooks and Vivobooks, the Lenovo Thinkpad 14S or 13S, Acer Swift 3, Dell Inspiron 5480, etc.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2013
3254 posts
1085 upvotes
Woodbridge
PHuth2 wrote: Which size do you want? 13.3" will have the lighter weight than 15.6" but a 14" one is right in the middle and might be a good medium. The difference between a 2.8 lbs 13.3" laptop versus a 4 lbs 15.6" laptop is significant.

Do you need to take notes with a pen on the laptop? This means you want a touchscreen laptop. If you simply need to type out your notes on Word or something then you don't need a touchscreen. If you don't need a touchscreen then that means you should take advantage of a matte (non-glossy) screen which has less glare and is generally far better on your eyes, just make sure that it's an IPS matte screen and not a TN matte screen so that you have better viewing angles.

In terms of specs, the most likely you want is below $1000 so something with 8 GB RAM, a 256 GB SSD, and an i5 processor. If you go above these specs, you're likely in the $1k+ price range, if you go below them then the performance can take a hit. Keep in mind that the RAM on a lot of laptops can be upgraded later to 16 GB and the hard drive space can be supplemented easily these days with an external drive.

Based on this, for touschreen, the Lenovo Flex or Dell Inspiron 5428 are 2-in-1 budget options that you might even be able to get some student discounts on. For non-touchscreen with an IPS display under $1k in the 13-14" size, you can look at Asus Zenbooks and Vivobooks, the Lenovo Thinkpad 14S or 13S, Acer Swift 3, Dell Inspiron 5480, etc.
Great advice. The Acer Swift 3 is what I use and it is the only computer that I use at home or at work. I got it for under $750 from Costco. 8GB ram. 8th gen i5.
Deal Addict
Oct 6, 2015
2463 posts
1361 upvotes
Always buy business-oriented laptops for school. Hint: they're not sold at big-box retail stores. Dell Latitude. Lenovo Thinkpad T-Series. Etc. Hauling it to/from school is far more abusive than most of the mass-marketed laptops were ever built for.
Mar 6, 2015
739 posts
55 upvotes
burnt69 wrote: Always buy business-oriented laptops for school. Hint: they're not sold at big-box retail stores. Dell Latitude. Lenovo Thinkpad T-Series. Etc. Hauling it to/from school is far more abusive than most of the mass-marketed laptops were ever built for.
May you delineate what you mean?
If the post or comment helps or delights you, please CLICK that LIKE BUTTON!😃
Meiji: Ambassador Swanbeck, I have concluded that your treaty is NOT in the best interests of my people. So sorry, but you may not.
Swanbeck: This is an outrage!