• Aug 5th, 2020 1:25 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 31, 2010
1863 posts
1353 upvotes

Good, middle-of-the-road Android phone

Hi,

I need some advice. My wife broke the screen of her Samsung A20. While the screen itself doesn't seem to be too expensive (around $20), the repair seems particularly complex, and I'm not sure I'm qualified enough for the job.

A local shop would charge me $180 +tx for this repair.

Considering that I was actually paid $9 to buy this phone (I miss the Koodo deals so much!), I would like to replace her phone at the lowest cost possible. This is RFD after all.

TBH, we never liked this phone, which we found sluggish. I would like a phone that is slightly faster than this one.

Which models would you recommend? Either new or used.

Thanks!
14 replies
Dec 10, 2007
88 posts
114 upvotes
Winnipeg
Pixel 3a or the soon to be released Pixel 4a (rumored early august) would be good choices if you're ok spending money up front. It depends on what you're looking to get out of the phone. I'm still using my Pixel 2XL which is still plenty fast and has a good camera. Benefit of pixel would be stock android, so little to no bloatware and generally snappier OS. Otherwise Kijiji would probably be your best bet.

Are you still on contract? Somewhere like Zoomer Wireless provides free phones with a 2 year contract. You can get a Huawei P30 Lite for free with a 6gb LTE plan. The plan is $40.50 a month plus tax, less $100 activation bonus and $50 referral credit. I believe they also have the Pixel 3a, but it requires a slightly more expensive plan to get the phone for free. I'm currently with Zoomer and have absolutely zero complaints.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 31, 2010
1863 posts
1353 upvotes
I want to buy a phone as I am on Fido's 4 GB a month for free for 2 years. I have a Google Voice number.
Deal Expert
May 22, 2005
20744 posts
6215 upvotes
GTA
https://www.costco.ca/motorola-moto-g7- ... 18468.html

This phone often goes on sale for $149 or so, if you do a search I believe this appeared on the Hot Deals forum a few times, I got this for my dad who cracked his Samsung S7's screen and its pretty decent for the price. The RAM is on the low side but removing all the screen animation makes it faster.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 31, 2010
1863 posts
1353 upvotes
Would a mint Samsung A8 (2018) for $180 be a good deal?
Nov 23, 2012
526 posts
194 upvotes
Toronto
There are lot of BNIB Huawei P30 lite on kijiji and BST for $200+
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2006
3867 posts
969 upvotes
Kingston
I bought the Samsung A71 a few weeks back for $479 and although it isn't the perfect phone, I can't really complain for the price vs specs
Jul 26, 2020
5 posts
4 upvotes
Xiaomi is like Samsung's at about 25% the price for "same phone"
May 26, 2020
215 posts
109 upvotes
I bought the Pixel 3a a couple months ago and it's the best phone I ever had, so far. If you can find one of those or a Pixel 4a, very good value for the money.
Jul 18, 2020
5 posts
4 upvotes
I would only buy new these days. Too many deals out there and the warranties help if issues come along.

My brother was always a Samsung or LG guy but he bought the Moto Power on sale from Costco for $299 last month and he loves it. You get solid specs and pure Android experience for under $300.

I am considering the same as my S9 begins to wear down.
Sep 5, 2013
161 posts
75 upvotes
Mississauga
If cost is your primary concern (and I think it is based on your initial post) - focus on Motorola. Decent bang for the buck.
Any of the more recent G series Motorola's will likely suit her fine. They make a long lasting battery model as well.
Just google the release date and know that you'll likely receive ~ 2 years of belated security updates, from the release date. Or, 3 years, if it's a Motorola on the Android One list of phones.

Downside: Motorola is notorious for slow security and system updates, ever since Lenovo bought them. It's a trade-off. You'll get the updates, just much slower than Google or Samsung (usually).
Upside: For the price, really decent specs. Also, Motorola has 2 really cool things I miss: shake for flashlight, or twist to turn on camera.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 31, 2010
1863 posts
1353 upvotes
I guess that Xiaomi isn't worth it nowadays? I used to have a Redmi Note 3 Pro.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 20, 2018
7226 posts
6406 upvotes
Marc9999 wrote: If cost is your primary concern (and I think it is based on your initial post) - focus on Motorola. Decent bang for the buck.
Any of the more recent G series Motorola's will likely suit her fine. They make a long lasting battery model as well.
Just google the release date and know that you'll likely receive ~ 2 years of belated security updates, from the release date. Or, 3 years, if it's a Motorola on the Android One list of phones.

Downside: Motorola is notorious for slow security and system updates, ever since Lenovo bought them. It's a trade-off. You'll get the updates, just much slower than Google or Samsung (usually).
Upside: For the price, really decent specs. Also, Motorola has 2 really cool things I miss: shake for flashlight, or twist to turn on camera.
Motorola was shit for software and updates even before Lenovo

Even their Moto x and x pure etc were terrible for support and updates

Lenovo has made them better with better hardware
Deal Expert
Mar 22, 2004
15172 posts
6235 upvotes
RFD
I recommend the battery king from Costco, the Moto G8 Power for 299.99 regular price.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)