Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2005
4338 posts
2150 upvotes

Good minivan for 20k for a new baby and a dog

My friend is looking for a mini-van for about 20k and he was wondering what people would recommend. He would like something relatively new, 2 years at the oldest. His first baby is coming around the beginning of November and he also has a dog as well.

Thanks in advance.
43 replies
Penalty Box
Aug 16, 2014
1043 posts
360 upvotes
Toronto, ON
used odyssey or sienna.

grand caravan if you feel kids are expendable.
Deal Expert
Jul 22, 2006
22335 posts
2980 upvotes
Nissan Quest
Toyota Sienna
Honda

No No No No No Dodge and Chrysler
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2005
4338 posts
2150 upvotes
Can he get any of the japanese vehicles in his price range?

He was thinking of a new caravan since they are cheap.
Deal Addict
May 18, 2006
2873 posts
70 upvotes
Windsor
I own a 2010 Caravan with 116K on it, they are cheap and will move you and the family around but in that price range it's the base model and can be very boring to drive. We've had all kinds of brake issues but everything else has been pretty solid, I do my own brake work otherwise I would have spent a small fortune at a garage. The newer models, I believe 2013 and newer have a new brake design which is supposed to be much better then the old ones that are unsized and poorly designed which causes the pads to seize and ruins the pads and rotors.
Deal Addict
Mar 22, 2004
3678 posts
1098 upvotes
20k for 2 years old Hoduh, Toyotuh?? Forget about it, for 20k you are getting 5 years old. Good luck to your friend.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2005
4338 posts
2150 upvotes
romsan04 wrote: 20k for 2 years old Hoduh, Toyotuh?? Forget about it, for 20k you are getting 5 years old. Good luck to your friend.
Yeah it is next to impossible to get one at that price. What about Kia, are they any good?
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2007
1560 posts
819 upvotes
Get yourself a 4 year old odyssey or sienna. Yes its older, but they work very well.
Deal Addict
May 23, 2008
1431 posts
1300 upvotes
ON
boonjaca wrote: Yeah it is next to impossible to get one at that price. What about Kia, are they any good?
I have a 2008 Sedona, bought a couple of years ago for about 10K. Montreal car, full or rust. I put about 20K km on it, not that much. The only thing I had to do besides oil changes was change the pads and rotors on the front. The pads were easy, I did it myself, but the rotors were impossible to remove because the caliper bolts (I hope that's the right name for them) were stuck. The mechanic had to drill one of them. Parts are not as available as for other cars, but are not that expensive, unless you buy them at the dealership.

Other than that, the car is fine. The engine is rough when starting in cold weather, but that's not a big issue, and it's chain driven so no worries about changing the drive belt. The van is fast in a straight line if pushed, it has a good torque out of the 3.8 liter V6, but corners like a, well, minivan. And drinks gas like it's free, but I have a heavy foot.

My regret to this day is that I did not pay 10K more for a brand new Caravan, but at that time I was really flat, and the Sedona is a bit bigger inside than the current generation Grand Caravan.
Apr 22, 2015
388 posts
76 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Better off with a 4-5 year old sienna or Odessy than a 2 year old caravan.
Deal Addict
Mar 22, 2004
3678 posts
1098 upvotes
This forum 100% biased towards asian cars, so it is kind of pointless to ask advise here.

No doubt that Sienna and Odessey are nice minivans but I just dont see myself throwing out 40k for something which will get used and abused by kids, dog, hauling everything imaginable. So I got brand new Grand Caravan and so far in 2 years I had no problems.

Yes the brakes had to be replaced after 30k, and it is known issue with GC. I am not planning to keep it for 10 years once the warranty for engine/transmission is up, I will trade it.

While on vacation we rented Toyota Sienna for 12 days and to tell you the truth the differences were so minor that I glad I went with Grand Caravan.
Banned
Mar 7, 2007
5347 posts
3010 upvotes
If it is only one baby, and it has to be around $20,000, a brand new Mazda 5 might be the answer. Or at least it is worth it to check out.
Mar 16, 2008
15 posts
3 upvotes
AgentRoyal wrote: Better off with a 4-5 year old sienna or Odessy than a 2 year old caravan.
I totally agree with you. NO NO NO on Grand Caravan or Town and Country.
Sep 23, 2010
391 posts
155 upvotes
TORONTO
Until kids are 5+, they are likely going to be vomiting in the car at least once a year. So for the first few years, go with something cheap and then you can upgrade later.
Jan 1, 2008
860 posts
139 upvotes
Blainville
I was in your situation and decided to put more money and buy the Honda Odyssey, I average 9L/100km combined. One thing to consider, the Grand Caravan has an attrocious depreciation, after 4 years you will lose 8-10k$ more than the honda odyssey. If you keep it for 4-6 years the odyssey will be cheaper and if you keep it for longer the odyssey will probably be good for a 5-6 more years.
Deal Addict
Mar 22, 2004
3678 posts
1098 upvotes
shingor6 wrote: I was in your situation and decided to put more money and buy the Honda Odyssey, I average 9L/100km combined. One thing to consider, the Grand Caravan has an attrocious depreciation, after 4 years you will lose 8-10k$ more than the honda odyssey. If you keep it for 4-6 years the odyssey will be cheaper and if you keep it for longer the odyssey will probably be good for a 5-6 more years.
Base model Odessey sells for 36K, 4 years old sells for 16-20K. So in 4 years you loose 15-20K.
Base Grand Caravan sells for 22K, 4 years old sells for $10K. You lose 10-12K.