• Oct 17th, 2019 11:57 am
[OP]
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2016
19656 posts
2656 upvotes
Out west

Good outside cord cover

Have a 2 man hot tub to hook up that works on a regular plug. Since we moved I have yet to set it up at our new place.

The location where we want it doesnt have a plug close to it. The length of the cord reaches easily, but it has to go over the concrete patio on the lower deck. If we have it so we dont ahve to do this, then the hot tub is in front of a window which doesnt look very good, and as well, cant open the window since the hot tub is to high

Most I see are for inside, are there ones for outside and permanent use.

I was also thinking of maybe digging right beside the patio since it is gravel/clay on the one side, and use plastic conduit as well. But if I do that I would have to cut the entire length of the conduit to put the power cable in, since the GFCI end it so large to fit through anything but a large diameter pipe
31 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2012
3708 posts
2674 upvotes
KINGSTON,ON
I'm assuming that the hot tub has a plug with a built in GFCI? Why not just cut it off, install a regular plug, then install a GFCI receptacle?
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2005
16942 posts
1787 upvotes
Thornhill
Not sure you're allowed to bury a conduit with a power cable in it. You might need something like T90 or RW90 rated for wet.

bjl
What we do in life echoes in Eternity... and in Google cache.
RFD discounts for Schluter products
[OP]
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2016
19656 posts
2656 upvotes
Out west
t3359 wrote: Not sure you're allowed to bury a conduit with a power cable in it. You might need something like T90 or RW90 rated for wet.

bjl
Plastic conduit I saw says its good for underground at Home Depot and Rona. If its allowed under ground, what cabling goes through it then?

The run I would need is fairly short, I wonder if I should go for metal instead for the conduit.
Last edited by WikkiWikki on Oct 7th, 2019 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2016
19656 posts
2656 upvotes
Out west
MrFrugal1 wrote: I'm assuming that the hot tub has a plug with a built in GFCI? Why not just cut it off, install a regular plug, then install a GFCI receptacle?
I looked it up and you can removed the GFCI end for replacement, so I can remove it and just reinstall it without a GFCI receptacle
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2012
3708 posts
2674 upvotes
KINGSTON,ON
WikkiWikki wrote: I looked it up and you can removed the GFCI end for replacement, so I can remove it and just reinstall it without a GFCI receptacle
Sure, you can just remove it. However, GFCI's exist for a reason. Do you really want to be potentially electrocuted in your hot tub because you didn't want to spend $25 on a GFCI receptacle?
I'm all about resisting the nanny state (I use my table saw without guards!), but some things just make sense. GFCI's are one of those things, especially when it comes to pools and hot tubs.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2016
19656 posts
2656 upvotes
Out west
MrFrugal1 wrote: Sure, you can just remove it. However, GFCI's exist for a reason. Do you really want to be potentially electrocuted in your hot tub because you didn't want to spend $25 on a GFCI receptacle?
I'm all about resisting the nanny state (I use my table saw without guards!), but some things just make sense. GFCI's are one of those things, especially when it comes to pools and hot tubs.
That's why it has its own on it. But I will look into it, Ive heard you aren't supposed to have a GFCI plug go into a GFCI outlet, but will confirm with an electrician first.
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2005
16942 posts
1787 upvotes
Thornhill
WikkiWikki wrote: Plastic conduit I saw says its good for underground at Home Depot and Rona. If its allowed under ground, what cabling goes through it then?

The run I would need is fairly short, I wonder if I should go for metal instead for the conduit.
Sorry, I meant I don’t think you’re allowed to put a regular power cord through it. The wire itself has to be wet rated. I think I’ve seen pvc buried before but haven’t looked it up in the elec code.

I have used pvc in wet conditions (not buried) and had used wet rated T90, although I also read that RW90 is often used in Canada instead).

bjl
Sep 2, 2005
762 posts
361 upvotes
Toronto
If you're going to do it properly, you need to use T90 and calculate the fill of the conduit to size it properly. Also, you need to bury the conduit at least 18" below grade.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2016
19656 posts
2656 upvotes
Out west
t3359 wrote: Sorry, I meant I don’t think you’re allowed to put a regular power cord through it. The wire itself has to be wet rated. I think I’ve seen pvc buried before but haven’t looked it up in the elec code.

I have used pvc in wet conditions (not buried) and had used wet rated T90, although I also read that RW90 is often used in Canada instead).

bjl
Ill look into it more. The power cable is outside all the time in the snow and the rain, so does that means its wet rated, or thats different for underground.

I could not bury the conduit as well, even if its just level with the pad itself so its not a trip hazard
[OP]
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2016
19656 posts
2656 upvotes
Out west
zaius wrote: If you're going to do it properly, you need to use T90 and calculate the fill of the conduit to size it properly. Also, you need to bury the conduit at least 18" below grade.
I think you are thinking an actual permanent power connection, as in your are making a trench to say hook a detached garage to the house power. This is a hot tub you plug into a power outlet, its not hard wired into anything.

But Im not an electrician either, and am waiting to hear back from one what my options are
[OP]
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2016
19656 posts
2656 upvotes
Out west
MrFrugal1 wrote: I'm assuming that the hot tub has a plug with a built in GFCI? Why not just cut it off, install a regular plug, then install a GFCI receptacle?
Confirmed with the hot tub manufacturer, and 2 electricians, you dont plug a GFCI protected cord into a GFCI outlet.

While I can go your route, I dont need to, since I have a GFCI end on the tub already
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2012
3708 posts
2674 upvotes
KINGSTON,ON
WikkiWikki wrote: Confirmed with the hot tub manufacturer, and 2 electricians, you dont plug a GFCI protected cord into a GFCI outlet.

While I can go your route, I dont need to, since I have a GFCI end on the tub already
Yes, that is correct. I wasn't suggesting you use two GFCI's in sequence. The way you worded your original post, I thought you had a cord coming out of the tub with an integrated GFCI. I have seen this type of set up before.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2016
19656 posts
2656 upvotes
Out west
MrFrugal1 wrote: Yes, that is correct. I wasn't suggesting you use two GFCI's in sequence. The way you worded your original post, I thought you had a cord coming out of the tub with an integrated GFCI. I have seen this type of set up before.
Its is, the cord has a GFCU plug block at the end of the cord
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2012
3708 posts
2674 upvotes
KINGSTON,ON
WikkiWikki wrote: Its is, the cord has a GFCU plug block at the end of the cord
Okay. So you misunderstood what I was suggesting.
Replace the entire cord from the hot tub with a proper gauge ( 12 gauge or 14 gauge) SJTW cable. You'll need to open up the box on the hot tub to access the terminals. DO NOT just use wire nuts as a slice. Run the through your buried conduit. (Technically this is not allowed by Code, as that cable is not approved for use in conduit, but really, I'd guess it's not drawing massive loads). You will need to install a three prong plug on the end of the SJTW cable.
Install a GFCI receptacle if one is not there already. This is the most important part.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2016
19656 posts
2656 upvotes
Out west
MrFrugal1 wrote: Okay. So you misunderstood what I was suggesting.
Replace the entire cord from the hot tub with a proper gauge ( 12 gauge or 14 gauge) SJTW cable. You'll need to open up the box on the hot tub to access the terminals. DO NOT just use wire nuts as a slice. Run the through your buried conduit. (Technically this is not allowed by Code, as that cable is not approved for use in conduit, but really, I'd guess it's not drawing massive loads). You will need to install a three prong plug on the end of the SJTW cable.
Install a GFCI receptacle if one is not there already. This is the most important part.
Why would I want to replace a perfectly good installed from factory cord with a regular end and a GFCI outlet, when I have a cord with a GCFI end already that's made for the tub. And doing this fix will do what to the warranty, void it instantly? And youre saying what you suggest isn't code, then why don't I just leave what I have
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2012
3708 posts
2674 upvotes
KINGSTON,ON
WikkiWikki wrote: Why would I want to replace a perfectly good installed from factory cord with a regular end and a GFCI outlet, when I have a cord with a GCFI end already that's made for the tub. And doing this fix will do what to the warranty, void it instantly? And youre saying what you suggest isn't code, then why don't I just leave what I have
Um, because you suggested burying the cable, and couldn't get the plug through the conduit?
For your own safety, I really think you should just hire an electrician.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2016
19656 posts
2656 upvotes
Out west
MrFrugal1 wrote: Um, because you suggested burying the cable, and couldn't get the plug through the conduit?
For your own safety, I really think you should just hire an electrician.
I learned I can take the GFCI off the cord, so I can get it through a regular conduit now. Its made to be taken off if it ever needs to be replaced. Thought I mentioned that in one of my posts

Why would I need to hire an electrician to put a cable through a conduit?
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2005
16942 posts
1787 upvotes
Thornhill
WikkiWikki wrote: I learned I can take the GFCI off the cord, so I can get it through a regular conduit now. Its made to be taken off if it ever needs to be replaced. Thought I mentioned that in one of my posts

Why would I need to hire an electrician to put a cable through a conduit?
Because it seems you have no idea what you're talking about and want to take non-compliant short-cuts. :)

bjl
[OP]
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2016
19656 posts
2656 upvotes
Out west
t3359 wrote: Because it seems you have no idea what you're talking about and want to take non-compliant short-cuts. :)

bjl
So I cant have an electrical cable go through a conduit that's rated for outside? What if the conduit is not buried?