• Sep 11th, 2020 2:58 pm
[OP]
Deal Expert
Nov 16, 2004
18286 posts
5635 upvotes
Toronto

Good Photo Transfer Program? Android Google Pixel

I have an android phone and I'm transferring photos to my computer, but it's also including screenshots and all sorts of crap. I'm spending hours going through photos when I shouldn't have to.

Any good programs for photo transferring?
RedFlagDeals Addict
11 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2014
1296 posts
846 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I use ES File Explorer to select photos and transfer over cell data or wifi by SCP to my desktop.

I also use the built-in andriod backup to auto backup my photos to Google Photos when connected to wifi.

But I get the feeling you mean you want to automatically transfer photos you want, without having to select which photos you want to transfer?
GRAMMAR: The difference between "Feeling you're nuts." and "Feeling your nuts."
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2005
4450 posts
1761 upvotes
GTA
Yeah, I'm not exactly sure what you're asking for. What are you currently doing?

Pixels keep their pictures/videos taken with the camera in the DCIM folder. Screenshots go in Pictures/Screenshots. So it should be simple to just copy over those folders to your computer.

AFAIK, Samsungs are the only ones that change this behaviour. They keep the Screenshots folder under DCIM
Nov 30, 2016
879 posts
1090 upvotes
Mississauga
Dave98 wrote: Yeah, I'm not exactly sure what you're asking for. What are you currently doing?

Pixels keep their pictures/videos taken with the camera in the DCIM folder. Screenshots go in Pictures/Screenshots. So it should be simple to just copy over those folders to your computer.

AFAIK, Samsungs are the only ones that change this behaviour. They keep the Screenshots folder under DCIM
Google photos gives you the option of selecting what folders to backup.
Here's the thing though, these are compressed images, which is perfect for most people, but if you wish to backup your uncompressed file, then a direct transfer from internal SD to PC is your only choice (you can use ES like someone said, or hookup a data cable for faster transfer)
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2003
4245 posts
2534 upvotes
Gotham
I use Android file transfer. It's simple and easy. I do it once per month. The photos are also backed up in Google Photo.

I used to use Google Photo to copy my image files because it kept all of the photos in a Google Drive directory but they changed that last year and it's not there anymore. It's still backed up but the files aren't as easy to access.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
32875 posts
6497 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
Just ES File Explorer to copy the entire DCIM folder to a computer and sort it out there.
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2008
1086 posts
464 upvotes
Canada
treasureseeker3 wrote: I use ES File Explorer
Gee wrote: Just ES File Explorer
ES Explorer is a malware that's been banned from Google Play store for more than a year already and shouldn't be recommended.
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2014
1296 posts
846 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Years ago, ES File Explorer came as stock on an Android device I had. (Android 2.2 I think).

Since I had one device that used it and couldn't find another to do SCP/SFTP when I needed it, I continued to install ES File Explorer on my devices. So I have now used it for close to ten years.

Go ahead and recommend another method to the OP

PS - I just checked Google Play store and ES File Manager/Explorer is still available
GRAMMAR: The difference between "Feeling you're nuts." and "Feeling your nuts."
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
32875 posts
6497 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
tntdeal wrote: ES Explorer is a malware that's been banned from Google Play store for more than a year already and shouldn't be recommended.
Absolutely correct. I have a modified apk that removes all the malware
treasureseeker3 wrote: Years ago, ES File Explorer came as stock on an Android device I had. (Android 2.2 I think).

Since I had one device that used it and couldn't find another to do SCP/SFTP when I needed it, I continued to install ES File Explorer on my devices. So I have now used it for close to ten years.

PS - I just checked Google Play store and ES File Manager/Explorer is still available
It shouldn't be available on the Play Store.

There are a lot of good alternatives, Solid Explorer is a good choice, but not free. File Explorer is also very good, but no matter how many I try, I always come back to ES File Explorer.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 8, 2003
8185 posts
622 upvotes
Scarborough
MiXplorer Silver
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2005
4589 posts
966 upvotes
Scarborough
I just connect my phone to my desktop with usb cable and transfer everything from the DCIM folder.