Students

Good places to get textbook deals

[OP]
May 5, 2012
29 posts
8 upvotes
EDMONTON

Good places to get textbook deals

I didn't see a central thread anywhere so I thought I'd start one.

This is a thread dedicated to showing the best places to get back to school textbooks for a good price.

If you have a place (ie website) to recommend feel free to leave a post!
11 replies
Deal Expert
Dec 14, 2005
18176 posts
345 upvotes
Richmond
:arrow:

Moved from "BST: Textbooks' to "Back to School Discussion" / "Students"
Congrats to the Arsenal Ladies - The FA Women's Cup Winners 2013 :)
Deal Addict
Nov 20, 2011
4052 posts
247 upvotes
Ontario, Canada
Amazon if you search the book title.
Banned
Jun 29, 2012
475 posts
36 upvotes
I think Amazon, Abe Books, BookFinder, eBay and Campus Books are the best places for school textbooks in a good price.
Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2008
2639 posts
500 upvotes
Cambridge, ON/Guelph…
abe books is essentially the only place you need to look. Just search the isbn on their site. Also try to buy some off people that took the course the semester before etc.
Aug 12, 2009
319 posts
63 upvotes
+1 for amazon, might take long though.
May 27, 2007
15719 posts
3190 upvotes
Toronto
Amazon/Book Depository, TUSBE for used (if GTA).
RedFlagDeals.com
See an inappropriate post? Use the "Report Post" function to alert Moderators!
Deal Addict
Jul 4, 2011
1467 posts
82 upvotes
Toronto
I have used http://www.abebooks.com/ quite a few times. The trick is to use international versions.

International versions can have vastly different covers, different page numbers, and/or different questions.

What I did was look up the ISBN number of the one in the campus bookstore and search for it on amazon. Look at the table of contents and see that the topics match. You might have some supplementary chapters missing but that MIGHT be ok for you.

Now I have never had a problem with questions being different than the North American editions. I have been lucky. But I have heard of instances where students get 0 because the questions are different. In this case, buy the international edition for the content, but get a photocopy of the questions from someone in the course who has the North American edition.

If you are looking for French textbooks, buy them off TUSBE. Don't bother with Abebooks, much more expensive.
Jul 15, 2012
254 posts
57 upvotes
Calgary
How's the shipping for amazon and abebooks? My university publish the list of required textbooks only a week or so before classes start. This year, I'm looking for online textbooks to save some money. My only concern is that the books might be shipped a few weeks after the semester starts. I can't have that happen because quite a few of my classes have homework from the textbook, some starting in the first week.
Jun 8, 2012
442 posts
45 upvotes
Toronto
Amazon was quick for me. It was in stock and I got it next day.

I was also able to find a site that had the ebook version of it, which provided a 30 day trial and I was able to view the first few chapters of the text. I cannot recall the name of the site.
Mar 6, 2015
739 posts
57 upvotes
Last edited by cybercavalier on Nov 11th, 2019 11:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
If the post or comment helps or delights you, please CLICK that LIKE BUTTON!😃
Meiji: Ambassador Swanbeck, I have concluded that your treaty is NOT in the best interests of my people. So sorry, but you may not.
Swanbeck: This is an outrage!