Cell Phones

Is it a good time to buy a Samsung smartphone?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 12th, 2018 12:39 pm
[OP]
Nov 24, 2016
166 posts
147 upvotes
Waterloo, ON

Is it a good time to buy a Samsung smartphone?

Hi there, I have a budget of 700 but I would prefer to pay less. I have an LG G6 which I absolutely hate. I would like to get a Samsung galaxy s8, s8 plus or note 8. Looking through the used websites, an s8 can be had for 450, s8+ for 500 and Note8 for 700. I would prefer to get the Note8, but im not sure if this is a good time to buy. I'm okay with used phones, but I would prefer new ones. I'm using public mobile. Should I wait until after the s9 is released?
Current device: Samsung Galaxy Note20 Ultra 5G
On Freedom Mobile - $45/22GB + $0 Google Pixel 3
26 replies
Deal Fanatic
Aug 16, 2010
6764 posts
3843 upvotes
Aurora
Friends don't let friends buy used phones off of Kijiji. Note 8 for 700? I'd be pretty suspect about that. Personally, I'd set my sights on lower and not on the flagship models and then buy a reliable new phone. And no, I wouldn't wait for the S9 - if you need a phone now, you need it now. A5 is a good phone. S7E still great.
[OP]
Nov 24, 2016
166 posts
147 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
DiceMan wrote: Friends don't let friends buy used phones off of Kijiji. Note 8 for 700? I'd be pretty suspect about that. Personally, I'd set my sights on lower and not on the flagship models and then buy a reliable new phone. And no, I wouldn't wait for the S9 - if you need a phone now, you need it now. A5 is a good phone. S7E still great.
I would prefer a flagship. While the A5 and S7 edge are pretty good, I felt that the S8, S8+ and Note8 are better options. I don't really need a new phone immediately. My LG G6 has a busted earpiece so I cannot make phone calls, but it doesnt affect me too much since I rarely make phone calls. But it would be nice to have a phone that can actually phone. I can wait until March if I need to, i just want to know if waiting will give me a better deal to get the mentioned phones.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
33801 posts
7446 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
No one has a crystal ball. It appears that carriers are carrying two generations of phones.

While it is a good gamble that the launch of the S9 will make the S8 obsolete or less desirable it should offer a price decrease but not immediately. Maybe by the summer.
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2003
4637 posts
2905 upvotes
LaLaLand
I would wait until around or after the S9 is released. The S8 and S7 will go down further in price.

People that want to upgrade will also sell their S8 and S7.

It's a bit of timing and luck. Last year after the S8 was released I purchased my dual sim S7 for about $400 from a person that was upgrading to the S8.
[OP]
Nov 24, 2016
166 posts
147 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
batcave wrote: I would wait until around or after the S9 is released. The S8 and S7 will go down further in price.

People that want to upgrade will also sell their S8 and S7.

It's a bit of timing and luck. Last year after the S8 was released I purchased my dual sim S7 for about $400 from a person that was upgrading to the S8.
What do you think about the Note8?
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
21190 posts
10652 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
Speaking of a note 8

I'm jealous af about the special olympic edition white note 8 that all the athletes got.

But I digress...the note 8 is excellent. Love mine. I also have an X and find myself reaching for the note 8 probably 80% of the time. The screen is gorgeous.
Re: Procurement, Life & RFD
nasa25: say you won it in a raffle. That's what I do with like 86% of my purchases
infinityloop: Lying to your SO seems like an unhealthy long term strategy
nasa25: lmao
[OP]
Nov 24, 2016
166 posts
147 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
Gee wrote: No one has a crystal ball. It appears that carriers are carrying two generations of phones.

While it is a good gamble that the launch of the S9 will make the S8 obsolete or less desirable it should offer a price decrease but not immediately. Maybe by the summer.
Have carriers historically dropped prices quickly?
Deal Guru
May 8, 2009
14446 posts
12322 upvotes
Going to the Moon
jdayellow wrote: Have carriers historically dropped prices quickly?
Great promo's end of March. Comparable to Black Friday.
Premium Life: CDC [Icey Private Status]/SwissBorg/Netflix UHD [100% off]/Amazon [Prime 100% off]/Instacart [Express]
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
33801 posts
7446 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
jdayellow wrote: Have carriers historically dropped prices quickly?
They use to clear out the old models, but what they're doing now is keeping two generations of phones, the prices drop, but it is not a fire sale.
[OP]
Nov 24, 2016
166 posts
147 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
titaniumtux wrote: Great promo's end of March. Comparable to Black Friday.
Any examples of promos from last year?
Deal Guru
May 8, 2009
14446 posts
12322 upvotes
Going to the Moon
jdayellow wrote: Any examples of promos from last year?
I took a bunch of budget phones...I think seven or eight of those $200 phones in March last year.

Can't remember for the higher end phones, as I avoided those for churning at the time.
Premium Life: CDC [Icey Private Status]/SwissBorg/Netflix UHD [100% off]/Amazon [Prime 100% off]/Instacart [Express]
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2003
4637 posts
2905 upvotes
LaLaLand
jdayellow wrote: What do you think about the Note8?
The note 8 isn't really my thing so I don't really pay attention to it. I think it is in a different space from the S8 or S9. Maybe the S9 will be cool enough for people to give up the Note 8 for it.
nasa25 wrote: Speaking of a note 8

I'm jealous af about the special olympic edition white note 8 that all the athletes got.

But I digress...the note 8 is excellent. Love mine. I also have an X and find myself reaching for the note 8 probably 80% of the time. The screen is gorgeous.
The Olympic edition did look pretty cool!
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2013
3488 posts
1259 upvotes
Woodbridge
Is there something particular about Samsung? Would you consider a Pixel 2 or OP5T?
[OP]
Nov 24, 2016
166 posts
147 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
jvnanu wrote: Is there something particular about Samsung? Would you consider a Pixel 2 or OP5T?
I played with the samsung phones in the mall and everything about them is simply incredible. Everything from the screen, to the build quality, to the software, performance, cameras, etc.

Pixel 2 XL has quality issues I hear and I dont trust OnePlus since they have shady customer service.
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2014
2259 posts
1312 upvotes
Calgary
I like my Pixel 2 XL for its smoothness (no lag/stutters) and the camera. Screen is OK but could definitely be better. There's a few little annoying software bugs though.

Was almost thinking of trading for a Note 8 or maybe waiting to see how the S9 Plus is. Camera is important though
Deal Guru
May 8, 2009
14446 posts
12322 upvotes
Going to the Moon
jdayellow wrote: I played with the samsung phones in the mall and everything about them is simply incredible. Everything from the screen, to the build quality, to the software, performance, cameras, etc.

Pixel 2 XL has quality issues I hear and I dont trust OnePlus since they have shady customer service.
You got lured by Sammy's marketing.

Most flagship phones on display knock my socks off in terms of presentation. Still won't convince me to sign up for these gadgets "just because" they look nice on display.

+1 about Pixel. Mind you, I'd probably change it with OP5T.
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2012
13319 posts
2683 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
Devhux wrote:
Was almost thinking of trading for a Note 8 or maybe waiting to see how the S9 Plus is. Camera is important though
If the glove don't fit you must acquit! #WINNING
Deal Fanatic
Apr 5, 2016
5331 posts
3799 upvotes
Calgary/Vancouver
titaniumtux wrote: You got lured by Sammy's marketing.

Most flagship phones on display knock my socks off in terms of presentation. Still won't convince me to sign up for these gadgets "just because" they look nice on display.

+1 about Pixel. Mind you, I'd probably change it with OP5T.
Very true. They install a special firmware on those demo phones that makes the phone extra fast and snappy. After a few days of using a Samsung phone, it'll revert back to it's usual Samsung speed.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 3, 2006
8522 posts
3708 upvotes
12 days north of Hop…
IMO it's not a good time time to buy any phone at the moment.

MWC is just round the corner.