Home & Garden

Good time to buy snow blower ?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 3rd, 2020 3:12 pm
[OP]
Aug 22, 2020
8 posts

Good time to buy snow blower ?

Hey Folks, Given the snow Toronto receives on an average, which snow blower should I buy and do they have any deals during the summer seasons ?

I have done some due diligence and figured that these are players in the market (within my budget which is around 800-1000) - Snow Joe, Toro, Greenworks and Ego. I am buying the snow blower for the first time in my life. I have a drive way enough to fit 4 cars and needs to be cleared for the upcoming season. I'm all ears for recommendations and suggestions !
19 replies
Sep 3, 2019
532 posts
342 upvotes
GTA
I don't have tips, sorry, but just wanted to get in a quick thought: my snowblower is gas powered so I need to maintain every year or every other year. Usually, it's due to old gas in the tank, so put in some oil stabilizer in the tank after winter and to test it before the upcoming winter to make sure it'll run when you need it to. I've made the mistake of not doing that then had to shovel the snow... Just something to consider.

Have fun blowing (no pun intended).
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
32939 posts
6550 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
I had a gas unit but it was a lot of maintenance. I purchased a Snow Joe corded unit 3 years ago. Decent power, no where near what you get with gas, But I hated the cord

Switched to battery powered and like it a lot more.

Here is the problem. Nothing beats gas for power and speed. When the plow leaves that hard snow at the end of your driveway, you need a gas unit to clear it. The electric is useless because it has plastic blades.

Wet snow is also a waste of time with electric.

Given all these points, I would still buy electric. I manually clear the end of the drive way with a shovel. Wet snow usually melts on its own within 48 hours.

Farmer’s Almanac released their forecast for the winter and expects above average snow fall this season.
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2007
15708 posts
4746 upvotes
London
SKill7 wrote: I don't have tips, sorry, but just wanted to get in a quick thought: my snowblower is gas powered so I need to maintain every year or every other year. Usually, it's due to old gas in the tank, so put in some oil stabilizer in the tank after winter and to test it before the upcoming winter to make sure it'll run when you need it to. I've made the mistake of not doing that then had to shovel the snow... Just something to consider.

#1 tip is to use only ethanol free gasoline. The most ready source is Shell premium gas. Expensive, but it's well known to be ethanol free and is easily found
1) Ethanol combines with moisture over time to become a greasy gummy sludge that will totally plug all the little channels your carb
2) Ethanol attacks/ dissolves rubber fuel lines over time - you will get black goo plugging all the little channels in your card
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2007
15708 posts
4746 upvotes
London
sherlocked wrote: Hey Folks, Given the snow Toronto receives on an average, which snow blower should I buy and do they have any deals during the summer seasons ?

I have done some due diligence and figured that these are players in the market (within my budget which is around 800-1000) - Snow Joe, Toro, Greenworks and Ego. I am buying the snow blower for the first time in my life. I have a drive way enough to fit 4 cars and needs to be cleared for the upcoming season. I'm all ears for recommendations and suggestions !
There's been multiple threads in hot deals - try your local Lowes store YMMV

The Kobalt 22" single stage 80V cordless was being cleared out by Lowes for $279 Reg $700, some folks got them for $179. Likely too late to find stock
lowes-kobalt-80-volt-22-single-stage-co ... v-2394849/

The Cub Cadet basic 24" two stage gas blower was being cleared out for $319, Reg $1200 - likely too late to find stock
lowes-cub-cadet-24-c-snow-blower-319-2396330/
[OP]
Aug 22, 2020
8 posts
l69norm wrote: There's been multiple threads in hot deals - try your local Lowes store YMMV

The Kobalt 22" single stage 80V cordless was being cleared out by Lowes for $279 Reg $700, some folks got them for $179. Likely too late to find stock
lowes-kobalt-80-volt-22-single-stage-co ... v-2394849/

The Cub Cadet basic 24" two stage gas blower was being cleared out for $319, Reg $1200 - likely too late to find stock
lowes-cub-cadet-24-c-snow-blower-319-2396330/
Thanks for the links but both of them out of stock. Too late as mentioned !
[OP]
Aug 22, 2020
8 posts
Gee wrote: I had a gas unit but it was a lot of maintenance. I purchased a Snow Joe corded unit 3 years ago. Decent power, no where near what you get with gas, But I hated the cord

Switched to battery powered and like it a lot more.

Here is the problem. Nothing beats gas for power and speed. When the plow leaves that hard snow at the end of your driveway, you need a gas unit to clear it. The electric is useless because it has plastic blades.

Wet snow is also a waste of time with electric.

Given all these points, I would still buy electric. I manually clear the end of the drive way with a shovel. Wet snow usually melts on its own within 48 hours.

Farmer’s Almanac released their forecast for the winter and expects above average snow fall this season.

I am inclined towards electric too but a little confused with multiple options. Snow Joe vs Greenworks vs Ego. To be honest, I am debating between Snow Joe and Greenworks !
[OP]
Aug 22, 2020
8 posts
SKill7 wrote: I don't have tips, sorry, but just wanted to get in a quick thought: my snowblower is gas powered so I need to maintain every year or every other year. Usually, it's due to old gas in the tank, so put in some oil stabilizer in the tank after winter and to test it before the upcoming winter to make sure it'll run when you need it to. I've made the mistake of not doing that then had to shovel the snow... Just something to consider.

haha .. thanks for the advice !
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
32939 posts
6550 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
sherlocked wrote: I am inclined towards electric too but a little confused with multiple options. Snow Joe vs Greenworks vs Ego. To be honest, I am debating between Snow Joe and Greenworks !
Ego is probably the best amongst the 3, it is also the most expensive.

I own the Kobalt (Greenworks) 80 Volt and I have no complaints. Between Greenworks and Snow Joe, I suggest Greenworks. Mainly because you can get a lawn mower and trimmer using the same battery. I have all three machines (Snow Blower, Lawn Mower and Trimmer) and 3 batteries.

Not sure if you can get a Snow Joe lawn mower. But I know Greenworks has everything.
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2007
15708 posts
4746 upvotes
London
sherlocked wrote: I am inclined towards electric too but a little confused with multiple options. Snow Joe vs Greenworks vs Ego. To be honest, I am debating between Snow Joe and Greenworks !
For Ego:
home-depot-ego-power-markdowns-home-depot-2395829/
Ego has a new contract to supply Lowes instead of Home Depot. Eventually, HD will clear out all remaining Ego stock
Nov 24, 2019
42 posts
27 upvotes
I used this method last year on a Toro 824 OE. As an added bonus, try to time it with a signing up of a Home depot credit card that gets you another 100$ off the first $1000 purchase (if youre going to spend that much). Wouldve been ~$1500 from HD after tax, ended up with mine for $1050 out the door.

824 is top notch, love it.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)