• Last Updated:
  • Aug 20th, 2021 12:05 am
Tags:
[OP]
Oct 9, 2013
33 posts
7 upvotes

Is it a good time to buy Tesla?

Had a test ride a couple of days back of Model Y. Family is very much inclined on making it part of the household.
Before I invest something like 90K, would like to know if its worth waiting a bit more for the new electric cars getting into the market? I keep reading about them but I could never know if anyone could make it into the market yet
Sorry for my less knowledge in the automotive area
Any kind suggestions will be appreciated
115 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
22022 posts
8453 upvotes
Socially Distanced
You mean to buy a Tesla.
I thought you meant the stock until i read your post.

Also, 90K?

If you want an EV this year the Y is hard to beat.
If you want it 5 years from now then you will have more choices.

In between its hard to say.
In fact in Rand McNally they wear hats on their feet and hamburgers eat people
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
16990 posts
15592 upvotes
Richmond Hill
If you need a car, you need a car. If not why even bother looking?
Deal Guru
Jun 24, 2006
10434 posts
4541 upvotes
Kiraly wrote: You said invest. That's not a word to use when buying a car.
IDK.... Some on RFD believe Tesla write you cheques monthly.
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
22022 posts
8453 upvotes
Socially Distanced
Kiraly wrote: You said invest. That's not a word to use when buying a car.
Except for the anomaly that is 2021.
Though it will pass.
Gutty96 wrote: IDK.... Some on RFD believe Tesla write you cheques monthly.
Anyone who claims it has the ability to hold a pen and sign a cheque is obviously tripping balls Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes
It can however save you money on fuel.

And it can be used to drive for a rideshare service. But then again so can any other decent vehicle
In fact in Rand McNally they wear hats on their feet and hamburgers eat people
Feb 8, 2010
491 posts
404 upvotes
If you think Tesla is solid, invest 90k in tesla stock. In 5 years you'll buy a car and still have 90k in your account.
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
16990 posts
15592 upvotes
Richmond Hill
billy_z wrote: If you think Tesla is solid, invest 90k in tesla stock. In 5 years you'll buy a car and still have 90k in your account.
Or don’t buy Tesla at all!!!
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2009
2821 posts
1469 upvotes
Markham
Quentin5 wrote: It can however save you money on fuel.
But at the expense of initial capital cost...which will take a very long time to break even with an ICE.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2009
2821 posts
1469 upvotes
Markham
jinneebhat wrote: Family is very much inclined on making it part of the household.
Can you afford a divorce?
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2009
2821 posts
1469 upvotes
Markham
Gutty96 wrote: IDK.... Some on RFD believe Tesla write you cheques monthly.
True.
And Tesla will mysteriously makes your spouse love you more.
Or overcome the law of physics.
And have such great acceleration to impress no body...
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2015
1842 posts
933 upvotes
Calgary, AB
The most sensible question is what are you actually looking for in a car? And what Tesla are you looking at?

There still aren't that many BEV's around, but there may be others that suit your needs better for less money. Alternatively if you just want a Tesla, buy it, and stop trying to justify it.
Deal Guru
Jun 24, 2006
10434 posts
4541 upvotes
BDSL wrote: True.
And Tesla will mysteriously makes your spouse love you more.
Or overcome the law of physics.
And have such great acceleration to impress no body...
It's really is so bizarre that any post justifying why a Tesla or EV in general is so much better has to include 0-60 times. Like the commute to work is just a collection of drag races with minivans.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2009
2821 posts
1469 upvotes
Markham
Gutty96 wrote: It's really is so bizarre that any post justifying why a Tesla or EV in general is so much better has to include 0-60 times. Like the commute to work is just a collection of drag races with minivans.
Haha...I agree.
I have friends that have Tesla and brag about 0-60mph time. I ask them how often did they use full acceleration (pedal to the metal to redline rpm) on their previous ICE vehicles.....answer is always 0. Then why does it matter now when you have a faster EV.
Deal Expert
Mar 6, 2003
15829 posts
7376 upvotes
Ottawa
Electric cars will get cheaper over time. In a few year's time (say 5 or more), they may drop in price comparable to gas cars. Tesla has yet to roll out their newer battery cells, so the Teslas won't drop in price (much) for at least a couple of years. They plan to release a cheaper model (who knows when that will actually come out....and you probably want to avoid at least the first year of production)

So if you don't need a car now, and can wait a couple of years, things will get cheaper and/or there will be more choice on the market. I plan to buy another EV down the road.....but right now there are still no great alternatives to a Tesla as of today (At least none that I would prefer), but who knows in 5 years.
This is RedFlagDeals, not RedFlagCheapskates. Rich or poor, we all want our deals so we can buy even more stuff we may or may not need.
Jul 23, 2011
132 posts
35 upvotes
Toronto
How about the BMW i4 , do you think if they sell a lot, Tesla might drop their MSRP?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2004
7083 posts
5926 upvotes
jinneebhat wrote: Sorry for my less knowledge in the automotive area
Is this your 1st EV? Do you leave town? Is your house's electric panel is ready for a 30-50a plug?

What are you currently driving and what's your usage pattern.

If you want an EV and you take it out of town, Tesla is pretty much the only game without you going mad looking for a charger.

If you charge at home, there are plenty of choices. VW ID4 cost $40K less than a Model Y and give you basic EV transportation with AWD.
Deal Guru
Mar 22, 2004
14102 posts
4721 upvotes
RFD
Waiting for the Tesla Model 1 then it'll be a good time to buy when prices plummet.
Sep 23, 2019
219 posts
282 upvotes
OP - look at the price for Model Y in USA and Canada. You will see that canadian price is calculated using OLD exchange rate and with current rate price should be about 7000$ cheaper. I would wait until/if Tesla will update canadian prices with latest exchange rate.