Computers & Electronics

Is this a good trade offer for my gaming laptop?

• Last Updated:
  • May 6th, 2015 12:08 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Aug 29, 2012
872 posts
242 upvotes

Is this a good trade offer for my gaming laptop?

I recently put my gaming laptop on kijiji for sale.

I was selling this laptop: http://www.ncix.com/detail/msi-gs70-ste ... -95790.htm

Plus a bunch of other random accessories: Bags, sleeves, laptop cooler.
for $1500 total.

Realistically I know I would have probably only gotten $1300-1400

The money was going to be used to build a gaming pc.

Coincidentally, someone offered a fully built gaming PC and I want to know if you guys think this is a good offer:

These are the specs of the PC that was offered to me:

-Intel i7 3930k 6 core Socket 2011

-16GB GSkill TridentX 2400Mhz

-Asus Rampage Formula V Motherboard

-Nvidia GTX 970 4gb Gigabyte G1 Gaming

-Adata SX900: 2x 256gb ssd in raid 0 (512gb) total

-Full custom water cooling (cpu and motherboard are water cooled)

-InWin GR1 Gaming case

-Windows 8.1 pro with CD key (legit)

-All the water blocks and rads are from ek cooling.

-Full RBB lighting kit.

-Cosair HX750 Watt Gold full modular power supply

So, Should I accept this trade? Or sell the Laptop for around $1300-1400?
10 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 14, 2009
2387 posts
3192 upvotes
Quebec
If you don't mind having a used PC,you won't be able to build the same brand new for the same amount.
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2008
1414 posts
805 upvotes
Nice thing about computer parts are that they all have their own warranties. Did they build the PC themselves? If so, ask for receipts so you can take advantage of any existing warranties.
[OP]
Aug 29, 2012
872 posts
242 upvotes
MonsieurX wrote: If you don't mind having a used PC,you won't be able to build the same brand new for the same amount.
Well he stated that everything is near new or mint condition and still have box/receipt for most parts. Just wanted to see if it was worth it or If i should sell it for a quick $1300 and build from that.
[OP]
Aug 29, 2012
872 posts
242 upvotes
ditachan wrote: Nice thing about computer parts are that they all have their own warranties. Did they build the PC themselves? If so, ask for receipts so you can take advantage of any existing warranties.
He said he had most receipts
[OP]
Aug 29, 2012
872 posts
242 upvotes
KeVan wrote: fwiw, this is my build. about $1230 after tax.

http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/R3z6Vn

so you replace my 960 with a 970, and you got what essentially you would buy with your ~$1400.
That seems great and all but I would end up swapping a few parts, bringing it closer to possibly $1500-$1600.

That's why I'm considering this offer as it seems it has everything set up properly. Only thing I may end up changing myself would be the case later on.

So all in all, do you guys think it's worth it? Would you consider the offer as it seems I'm only getting around $1200 at most in offers so it's looking like I may only get a max of $1300 if i'm patient if I sold for cash.
May 5, 2015
445 posts
424 upvotes
GVA
The rig is high end and will murder most games, but the CPU is getting quite dated......... and considering that the he is running a 3930k and custom water cooling, you can tell that he is an enthusiast and most likely had it overclocked very high.

If all possible I would hold off on the new rig till Q3 when Skylake is released. Supposedly it will be a huge jump forward (like Sandy over Nahalem) and next to the performance increase it's also going to introduce cable free computing
Deal Guru
Jul 19, 2012
14724 posts
4852 upvotes
Montreal
and don't forget tax when figuring out relative value - trades are tax-free.