• Last Updated:
  • Dec 18th, 2019 9:17 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Jun 11, 2016
27 posts
18 upvotes

Good Vacuum to buy?

Interested in a bagless canister vacuum for weekly use, for laminate floor/carpet, no pets, budget under $500. Popular brand names are Shark, Dyson and Miele. Very interested in a Miele CX1 from Costco at $499 in store, but not many reviews online. For dyson, I'd be interested in the animal 2, but worried about quality as many reviews say dysons are "cheap". For shark, it'd likely be a Shark Navigator, but again not sure how long it will last.

Thanks for any advice.
8 replies
Feb 27, 2007
390 posts
211 upvotes
I've had great luck with both Miele, and with dealing with Mchardy Vacuum. If you like the CX1 they have the C3 ExcellenceC3 Excellence with the electric powerhead for about $100 on top of what Costco wants. It's not 'bagless' but the bags aren't expensive and last forever and you have the added benefit of not having to replace or clean the filters.

If you don't need the powerhead they have the base Compact C1 on clearance for $299.
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2012
3163 posts
2134 upvotes
Toronto
+1 for Miele. We picked one up a year ago and it's great. Also have an old Filter Queen which is a tank, but if I was buying another new vacuum, I'd be looking at Miele again.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2007
9634 posts
5032 upvotes
Paris
My next vacuum will use bags.
Deal Addict
Mar 22, 2017
1244 posts
1295 upvotes
West GTA
Miele all day long. Best vacuums on the market. Reliable, fairly quiet, powerful, etc.

The C1, C2, C3 line have bags, but the bags are amazing. I much prefer them - they last a long time, aren't expensive and work better.
Mar 16, 2007
286 posts
120 upvotes
GTA
all depends on how big the house is, proportion of wood floor vs carpet, how often do you vacuum? for us, we vacuum regularly on mostly wood floor and we have a small house <2000 sq ft. We found Dyson the most convenient. We also have a Miele and barely touch it even though it works well.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 14, 2008
8305 posts
1875 upvotes
Ontario
Jerico wrote: My next vacuum will use bags.
I recall there used to be a very active vacuum repair poster on reddit, did numerous AMAs, etc. Found this on one of his posts:

Dollar for dollar, a bagged vacuum, when compared to a bagless, will almost always:

• Perform better (Actual quality of cleaning).
  • Be in service for much longer.
  • Cost less to repair and maintain (Often including consumables).
  • Filter your air better.

It also wasn't the first time he said something similar.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2007
9634 posts
5032 upvotes
Paris
onlineharvest wrote: I recall there used to be a very active vacuum repair poster on reddit, did numerous AMAs, etc. Found this on one of his posts:

Dollar for dollar, a bagged vacuum, when compared to a bagless, will almost always:

• Perform better (Actual quality of cleaning).
  • Be in service for much longer.
  • Cost less to repair and maintain (Often including consumables).
  • Filter your air better.

It also wasn't the first time he said something similar.
Bagless requires so much maintenance. Anyone that says they don’t isn’t maintaining it right.
Jul 4, 2005
750 posts
56 upvotes
Ontario
I wish the Miele upright style (with bag) vacuum would become available in Canada again.