Tags:
[OP]
Deal Guru
May 6, 2005
10994 posts
1165 upvotes
Squamish

Good value protein?

Looking for protein, mainly to add to my daily smoothies. But will probably also end up using in some cooking/baking. I THINK the last protein I bought was myprotein, but I ended up not going through too much of it before I moved cities and didn't bring it with me.

I am not on a strict fitness or nutrition journey but still want to make wise choices. I suppose at a certain point there are some diminishing returns for extra dollars. I assume I want whey isolate, but even within there, there is so much variation and I see people really knocking certain brands, etc...

Any suggestions on brands and approx $/lb of protein I should be aiming for?

Would most likely just be looking at some variation of unflavored, vanilla and chocolate.
10 replies
Deal Fanatic
May 14, 2009
6462 posts
1236 upvotes
You can buy myprotein’s Impact Whey Protein for about $7-$8/lb if you catch it on sale.
[OP]
Deal Guru
May 6, 2005
10994 posts
1165 upvotes
Squamish
amz155 wrote: You can buy myprotein’s Impact Whey Protein for about $7-$8/lb if you catch it on sale.
Thanks. And what about choosing between whey isolate vs the standard whey protein?
Deal Fanatic
May 14, 2009
6462 posts
1236 upvotes
Kaitlyn wrote: Thanks. And what about choosing between whey isolate vs the standard whey protein?
Personally, I have no reason to use isolate. I don’t have an issue with lactose, and I often mix my PP with food/bevvies so isolate would be pointless (and more $).
Apr 24, 2013
571 posts
322 upvotes
Crna Gora
You want to choose what is healthiest for you since nutrition and working out is directly related to health.

That being said one should try to buy protein that has less of artificial crap most if the manufacturers have.

I always buy unsweetened whey concentrate from New Zeland grass cows at canada protein.
It has nothing except whey.
Every other company has soy lecithin, sweeteners етц . Which are realy bad for your health
Nov 21, 2018
51 posts
26 upvotes
What protein did you end up choosing because I'm looking for unflavoured also, for similar reasons and at a decent price?
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2007
2935 posts
279 upvotes
Toronto
nimfomanijak wrote: You want to choose what is healthiest for you since nutrition and working out is directly related to health.

That being said one should try to buy protein that has less of artificial crap most if the manufacturers have.

I always buy unsweetened whey concentrate from New Zeland grass cows at canada protein.
It has nothing except whey.
Every other company has soy lecithin, sweeteners етц . Which are realy bad for your health
How 'bad' does it taste compared to other artificially sweetened powders?
Like will I notice a chalkiness compared to others?

Also, have you ever tried to mix it into foods and sauces? like a bit of the powder mixed into dressing or sauce?
[OP]
Deal Guru
May 6, 2005
10994 posts
1165 upvotes
Squamish
LazerHawk wrote: I'm a big fan of the vegan protein powders at canadianprotein. The least chalky vegan options I've found. I'd found their protein powders in general, including whey, to be great tasting overall.

I really like the vanilla flavour:
https://us.canadianprotein.com/products ... tein-blend
Did you choose vegan out of need or just preference? Ive never tried a vegan powder but wonder how they compare in terms of mixing and whatnot
Sep 3, 2018
300 posts
162 upvotes
Kaizen Naturals Whey Protein Isolate and it comes in chocolate or vanilla flavour.

Costco has them on sale multiple times throughout the year. The taste is okay and not overly sweet compared to other brands.
Dec 2, 2019
86 posts
53 upvotes
Kaitlyn wrote: Did you choose vegan out of need or just preference? Ive never tried a vegan powder but wonder how they compare in terms of mixing and whatnot
Yeah vegan's just a preference because I would get a little bloat with whey. Vegan whey is very easy on the stomach. I just add water to one scoop of their vanilla one, the flavour is great, that's all you need. Just shake it up really good in a tumbler. It mixes well with bananas, other fruits no problem.
I like coupons and turtles.