Fashion & Beauty

Good winter jacket at a reasonable price?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 25th, 2019 12:21 am
[OP]
Apr 23, 2019
41 posts
284 upvotes

Good winter jacket at a reasonable price?

I'm a person that gets really cold during winters and I'm looking for a new jacket. I have some I'm thinking of, but if anyone has any other ideas let me know:

Eddie Bauer Peak XV (800 fill, not sure about fill weight or ratio, ~$250 depending on the sale). Also it's kind of ugly but has a lifetime warranty.
Men's Super puff (700 fill, 90/10 feather/down mix, ~300g fill weight, $250). I really like how this looks but Aritzia has no warranty and I heard stuff about their jackets tending to leak down.
North Face Nuptse (700 fill, not sure about fill weight or ratio, $300-350? Seems like you're kind of paying for the brand)
11 replies
[OP]
Apr 23, 2019
41 posts
284 upvotes
I don't want to wear multiple layers because it's inconvenient. I'm getting on and off a bus/train, walking in and out of buildings multiple times a day, I don't want to be taking off 3 layers or putting on 3 layers (and where do I put them once I take them off? I have to carry around a backpack 24/7?) every time I enter/exit a building. I understand I won't be as warm but there must be something I can just wear over just a shirt and be relatively warm.
Mar 14, 2013
481 posts
548 upvotes
Toronto
byviolet wrote: I don't want to wear multiple layers because it's inconvenient. I'm getting on and off a bus/train, walking in and out of buildings multiple times a day, I don't want to be taking off 3 layers or putting on 3 layers (and where do I put them once I take them off? I have to carry around a backpack 24/7?) every time I enter/exit a building. I understand I won't be as warm but there must be something I can just wear over just a shirt and be relatively warm.
You pay big $$$$ for warm and light. Even the best down jackets will require you to wear a sweater under on an extremely cold day.
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2007
4114 posts
1610 upvotes
Based on my own experience, Eddie Bauer's lifetime warranty is almost worthless.

They do not stand behind their products like they used to.
Apr 20, 2014
3 posts
1 upvote
Thornhill, ON
Uniqlo hybrid parka is pretty good
Dec 8, 2017
508 posts
237 upvotes
I really like Kanuk jackets, they typically have a big sale on Boxing day.
Deal Addict
Aug 25, 2015
2393 posts
1018 upvotes
Montreal, QC
i've discovered Norden this season. it's made with recycled plastic bottles and i was skeptical about their warmth rating but turns out, it keeps you warm (we had a -30C the other day) and it's about $500 after tax. bought it at the bay when they had the scratch and save (got it 50% less) but they have their 15% off constantly so that's less than $500 for a very warm coat

also Norden has a recycling program where you bring your coat back after 3 years and they give you 40% off on their new line which is not bad at all

edit: just saw they have a 15% off on their website and their coats are all discounted
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2012
2034 posts
493 upvotes
In Hiding
I can tell you that the Columbia Downward Dash is not warm although it's heavy - I can only wear it to -15C before swapping to my Fjallraven. The Columbia ecodry down is also not warm but good for days when there's a mix of rain and snow.
Banned
Dec 19, 2019
2 posts
I think if you investing go with the best one, but just remember for cold days you needed to wear a sweater too...
Dec 24, 2019
6 posts
There are warmer models for maintaining heat, but without special thermal underwear it isn't too comfortable from the inside.