Goodfood vs Hellofresh vs Meal Prep etc

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 27th, 2019 2:23 pm
[OP]
Mar 26, 2017
375 posts
191 upvotes

Goodfood vs Hellofresh vs Meal Prep etc

I'm looking to sign up to one of those Goodfood or Hello Fresh companies but I want to get the best bang for my buck.
I have a family of three and we're very busy and we would like a variety of food to eat for supper, we are tired of eating chicken fingers and fries lol.
Yes I've tried to learn to cook, I just hate how you have to buy so many different things and half of it goes to waste whenever you try to make a certain recipe

I don't really want to debate on if its a good investment or not but I know it'll work perfectly for my family situation,

Which company do you use, or can recommend and what seems to be the best deal?

Thanks!
22 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 19, 2017
1053 posts
850 upvotes
Tried Goodfood for free with the promo code worth $87 that fed 4 adults 2 different meals each with leftovers.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
17043 posts
4197 upvotes
Toronto
I know OP can't wait until Toronto's CNE in Late August, but that's where the best deals are for this sort of service.
They often set up a booth in the Enercare centre every year with great start up coupons and a recommendation as to what package to start with.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
[OP]
Mar 26, 2017
375 posts
191 upvotes
playnicee1 wrote: I know OP can't wait until Toronto's CNE in Late August, but that's where the best deals are for this sort of service.
They often set up a booth in the Enercare centre every year with great start up coupons and a recommendation as to what package to start with.
I don't live in Ontario or anything like that.

I would like to know the best bang for the buck as I am doing this for probably a long run.
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2015
1820 posts
662 upvotes
Elgin, ON
My wife and I used Hello Fresh for a long while. We received three meals a week, for two adults.

I liked it, because it cut back on time at the grocery store, it helped answer the dreaded question of "what's for dinner?" and the food was very tasty.

However, what I did not like, was the lack of leftovers. The 2 portions would yield 2 or 3 portions, depending on how filling the meal was. So, you went through the effort to cook a nice meal, but often don't have lunch for the next day. Increasing the # of portions would make it too expensive for our budget.

We also tried Chef's Plate, and it was very similar to Hello Fresh, but we found the meals were just a touch simpler in nature, and not quite as delicious.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
17043 posts
4197 upvotes
Toronto
Gord18Stirr wrote: I don't live in Ontario or anything like that.

I would like to know the best bang for the buck as I am doing this for probably a long run.
Well then, so much for me encouraging checking out taste of the Danforth this week-end to see if a booth is set up there this year. lol
PNE might have something. I recommend checking any special event in your neck of the woods. If there are a bunch of booths set up all trying to sell you something, you might still be in luck...
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Aug 31, 2012
555 posts
178 upvotes
Toronto
We have tried 4 different services and these are our favourites in order of preference:

Hello Fresh
Miss Fresh
Good Food
Chef’s Plate

Things that we liked about the best one (Hello Fresh): quality of food, variety in menu, ease of cooking, smooth delivery, excellent taste, healthy meals and large servings.
[OP]
Mar 26, 2017
375 posts
191 upvotes
I'm really considering hello fresh now that I read your posts and read some other stuff,

Really appreciate hearing what you liked and didn't like.

I guess the best discount for hello fresh would be the Unidays 20% off?
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27826 posts
13425 upvotes
Honestly... with the amount of money these services cost, save up and buy a good vacuum sealer.

This way the stuff you do buy won't go bad as easily.

Spending $10-15/plate on a meal is frankly ridiculous.
I can feed a family of 4 (2 adults, 2 children) for the cost of a single serving.
Mar 11, 2019
306 posts
177 upvotes
from the ones Ive tried I found good food had the best quality meals thats the only one I use anymore. hello fresh was decent, meals were more simple to cook but It was less value for cost I thought. Chefs plate was fast and easy and cheaper but I found the quality was less than others. miss fresh I think had larger portions but I didn't like any of the recipes and a few times the box didnt show up and a few other times It was missing ingredients. Try them all for the trial run deals, If you dont like them just quit its not a scam or anything like that.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 10, 2004
6622 posts
2313 upvotes
Vancouver
Miss Fresh is such garbage. The worst out of all of them. Quality is really bad. Food is bland, portions are very tiny. Would not recommend to anyone. I had to rework and add my own ingredients to every meal. The $50 trial was probably worth about $20 based on the ingredients they sent. 4 meals, all bad! Their chef is horrible.
I would rate Good Food as the top as it was always like eating at a fine dining restaurant. Good portion sizes as well. I would seriously question palate of anyone giving Miss Fresh any more than 2/5 stars.
I use voice typing, expect mistakes...
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2005
13843 posts
8537 upvotes
Markham
death_hawk wrote: Honestly... with the amount of money these services cost, save up and buy a good vacuum sealer.

This way the stuff you do buy won't go bad as easily.

Spending $10-15/plate on a meal is frankly ridiculous.
I can feed a family of 4 (2 adults, 2 children) for the cost of a single serving.
+1

And ppl wonder why there are all of these recalls for listeria and stuff. These prep "kitchens" mass process food but they don't do good jobs of cleaning.

Planning, shopping, prepping and cooking is part of being an adult and taking time to take care of your family. Find a Bulk Barn and buy a ton of herbs/spices and stock your pantry.

It's not that hard to cook once you have a basic stocked pantry in your house.

BTW what are these services going to do if we go to no single use plastics?
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27826 posts
13425 upvotes
gr8dlr wrote: Planning
Exactly.
I came up with unique meals every day but only had a small handful of proteins.
It's amazing how much you can do with a whole chicken.
On top of this, learn to utilize "large" ingredients like whole chickens instead of paying much more for processed bits.
Obviously this doesn't make sense if you want to make wings for dinner, but if you're planning a meal for a week, a 3 pack of chickens broken down can do all your proteins for a large variety of meals.
BTW what are these services going to do if we go to no single use plastics?
With how green everyone is nowadays I'm surprised these services are doing as well as they are.
The amount of packaging waste is actually pretty ridiculous.
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2005
13843 posts
8537 upvotes
Markham
To OP:

With a budget of what you'd pay for maybe three meals, you can probably create a basic stocked pantry. All you'd need to make a meals going forward is protein and veggies.

For a couple with a small child, cook larger roasts of chicken (whole or legs) or pork or beef. Leftovers can be repurposed into more meals/lunches consisting of soups, stews.

Geez. Come to think of it, maybe I just created a food consulting business for someone.

Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2005
13843 posts
8537 upvotes
Markham
To OP:

With a budget of what you'd pay for maybe three meals, you can probably create a basic stocked pantry. All you'd need to make a meals going forward is protein and veggies.

Eg. You can modify if you want to create a ethnic specific pantry.

https://www.budgetbytes.com/stock-kitch ... y-staples/

For a couple with a small child, cook larger roasts of chicken (whole or legs) or pork or beef. Leftovers can be repurposed into more meals/lunches consisting of soups, stews, other mains.

Geez. Come to think of it, maybe I just created a food consulting business for someone.

Deal Addict
Sep 5, 2005
1066 posts
1760 upvotes
Victoria
Gord18Stirr wrote: I'm really considering hello fresh now that I read your posts and read some other stuff,

Really appreciate hearing what you liked and didn't like.

I guess the best discount for hello fresh would be the Unidays 20% off?
The best ongoing discount for HelloFresh is to purchase the $100 gift cards from Costco's website for $79.99.
After trying all of the services, I alternate between goodfood & hellofresh depending on which recipes look better to me for each particular week. I find them both to be about the same quality.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 19, 2001
8713 posts
2412 upvotes
"With how green everyone is nowadays I'm surprised these services are doing as well as they are.
The amount of packaging waste is actually pretty ridiculous."

Actually there was an article discussig that, that found meal delivery is better for the environment since no food is wasted
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27826 posts
13425 upvotes
zoro69 wrote: Actually there was an article discussig that, that found meal delivery is better for the environment since no food is wasted
I'll give you that, but now you're just wasting money instead.
At least food is compostable vs packaging that might be recyclable.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 19, 2001
8713 posts
2412 upvotes
" But a new study published in the journal Resources, Conservation and Recycling may assuage some customers’ guilt; it finds that the average meal sourced from a grocery store is responsible for 33% more greenhouse gas emissions than an equivalent dish from a meal kit."

Overall, meal kits were significantly more sustainable than grocery-store meals, mainly because they produced less food waste, the researchers found.

https://time.com/5573333/are-meal-kits- ... ronmental/

And yes I made the mistake of looking at someone's post I had on ignore. So we get nonsense replies, Keep 3 who respond to everything with nonsense on ignore and it is so much better here
Last edited by zoro69 on Aug 27th, 2019 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.