Goodyear Nordic - Winter Tire - 30% off @ Canadian Tire

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 22nd, 2018 8:54 pm
[OP]
Aug 25, 2006
829 posts
164 upvotes

[Canadian Tire] Goodyear Nordic - Winter Tire - 30% off @ Canadian Tire

Goodyear Nordic is 30% off for this week. It is a bit early but I don't think CT have higher than 30% off for winter tires.

Is it a good deal? Like to hear what is your though on it.

How is it compare with General Tire Altimax Arctic?

http://tires.canadiantire.ca/en/tires/w ... r_TireEcom
24 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2005
3632 posts
1887 upvotes
Ontario
Get all 4 tires for 120% off!

They'll pay you to take them!
Kaboom! Kaboom! KABOOM!
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2002
1738 posts
144 upvotes
North
Goodyear Nordic has a "S"( 180 km/h) speed rating (Q, 160km/h for the General).

Why is the Nordic not as good again?
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2001
7451 posts
1319 upvotes
Alberta
dealsaddict wrote: Goodyear Nordic has a "S"( 180 km/h) speed rating (Q, 160km/h for the General).

Why is the Nordic not as good again?
Nordic is an entry level winter tire. General Altimax Arctic is one of the best bang for the buck winter tires available. The General Altimax Arctics are often available at up to 25-30% off during sales in the fall and winter at Canadian Tire.

Here's my thread about winter tires from last winter:

winter-tire-reviews-rankings-recommenda ... c-1089871/
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2002
1738 posts
144 upvotes
North
DavidY wrote: Nordic is an entry level winter tire. General Altimax Arctic is one of the best bang for the buck winter tires available. The General Altimax Arctics are often available at up to 25-30% off during sales in the fall and winter at Canadian Tire.

Here's my thread about winter tires from last winter:

winter-tire-reviews-rankings-recommenda ... c-1089871/
Thanks for the link.

Still, the Nordic is not in the comparison/list. And I think the General will cost about $100 more for a set.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2001
7451 posts
1319 upvotes
Alberta
dealsaddict wrote: Thanks for the link.

Still, the Nordic is not in the comparison/list. And I think the General will cost about $100 more for a set.
APA Canada ratings on winter tires for 2011:

http://www.apa.ca/WinterTires2011-PassengerCars.asp

Personally, I won't ever buy a Canadian Tire house brand tire like the Goodyear Nordic (Goodyear makes the tire for CT)....based on a very poor experience with another Canadian Tire house brand tire (Nordic Wintertrac)....all four tires had sidewall bulges within the 1st or 2nd year.

Dave
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2007
2302 posts
363 upvotes
Edmonton
They are both good tires. I used GY Nordics on my previous vehicle and GT Altimax on my current. Honestly I do not feel any difference in driving, stopping distance, control on snowy roads etc. Performance in icy conditions is a huge YMMV, the driver and speed. No tire can help you when driving faster than what road conditions allow.

The differences most people talk about are more technical and are only obvious under certain pre-arranged driving conditions. For an average driver whichever tire is the cheapest between the two should be the preferred unless critical analysis is what you care for then GT Altimax is your affordable option.

I have also used the Michelin x-ice. It is a superb tire for the first couple of seasons and when the top layer(s) wear out, performance drop drastically. Used Nordics for 4 year before selling the car.The current Altimax set is now in its 4th year. Performance is slightly off but still way better than my older x-ices.
Deal Addict
Jul 5, 2010
2121 posts
1537 upvotes
Also take note that the Altimax is studdable.
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2002
1738 posts
144 upvotes
North
DavidY wrote: APA Canada ratings on winter tires for 2011:

http://www.apa.ca/WinterTires2011-PassengerCars.asp

Personally, I won't ever buy a Canadian Tire house brand tire like the Goodyear Nordic (Goodyear makes the tire for CT)....based on a very poor experience with another Canadian Tire house brand tire (Nordic Wintertrac)....all four tires had sidewall bulges within the 1st or 2nd year.

Dave
This list is quite biased and comparatively unsupported. And the current pricings/promotions had changed quite a bit.
Awjvail wrote: Also take note that the Altimax is studdable.
So is the Nordic.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2001
7451 posts
1319 upvotes
Alberta
dealsaddict wrote: This list is quite biased and comparatively unsupported. And the current pricings/promotions had changed quite a bit.

So is the Nordic.
I recommend that you take a very close look at the sipes of both the GY Nordics and General Altimax Arctics. Last winter, I had observed that the sipes on the Nordics were not very deep at all....might be 15-25% of the tread depth. The sipes on the General Altimax Arctic and Michelin XIce Xi2 were relatively much deeper....more than 50% of the tread depth. Sipes are needed to provide traction/braking on ice. Other than it's special rubber compound which stays softer in colder temperatures, there are much more sipes in winter tires than all season or all terrain tires. If the sipes are not deep, the traction/braking capabilities of a winter tire will be greatly diminished as the tread wears down. Once the sipes are gone, this tire will be similar to an all season tire (except for the softer rubber compound...some tires have all season tire compound at about 50% tire depth).
Dec 27, 2007
799 posts
555 upvotes
Some people said Nordic tire is much noisy than those more expensive's.
Jun 1, 2007
228 posts
43 upvotes
dealsaddict wrote: This list is quite biased and comparatively unsupported. And the current pricings/promotions had changed quite a bit.
So is the Nordic.
I would SECOND the fact that they are prone to side wall bulges! I have one that has a bulge now... I am hoping to get it replaced when winter comes it is only 3 yrs old
Oct 20, 2007
182 posts
6 upvotes
Toronto
I need to find a set of winter tires in 18s. Where should i go? When is the best time to buy to get a good price?
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2001
7451 posts
1319 upvotes
Alberta
verbalnoncents wrote: I would SECOND the fact that they are prone to side wall bulges! I have one that has a bulge now... I am hoping to get it replaced when winter comes it is only 3 yrs old
Which tires do you have?

The sidewall bulges were observed in my set of Nordic Wintertracs about 8-10 years ago. The Nordic Wintertracs (same tread design as BFG Winter Slaloms) and Nordic Icetracs were then discontinued by CT and replaced by the Goodyear Nordics....these are only sold at Canadian Tire stores.

Dave
Aug 12, 2012
1 posts
CHARLESBOURG
thunderca wrote: Goodyear Nordic is 30% off for this week. It is a bit early but I don't think CT have higher than 30% off for winter tires.

Is it a good deal? Like to hear what is your though on it.

How is it compare with General Tire Altimax Arctic?

http://tires.canadiantire.ca/en/tires/w ... r_TireEcom
Winter tires the best time to buy in the winter, the product has been update, winter product is the latest
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2007
4145 posts
1711 upvotes
Kingston, ON
Amazing CT reviews yet so many people here say they are terrible. Why?
Deal Guru
Jun 24, 2006
11120 posts
5032 upvotes
Slawek wrote: Amazing CT reviews yet so many people here say they are terrible. Why?
I think there is still some confusion between these Goodyear Nordics, and the old CT Nordic winter/icetrac. Those where terrible.

I had these Goodyear Nordics on my old GTP for a few winter, and thought they were great.
[OP]
Aug 25, 2006
829 posts
164 upvotes
My friend have one. They only thing my friend complained is that CT charges balance and all the fees without telling him ahead of time.

I notice the Goodyear Nordics are really loud compare to his summer tire.

I guess this is a warm deal. I might just wait for other deals. There might be mail in rebate for other winter tires in the fall.