Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2018
4596 posts
4656 upvotes
Vancouver

Google birthdate demand

Last week I saw a notification pop up on an old Android 4.4 tablet that runs my home automation display saying that Google wants me to provide my birthdate in my account settings "to meet regulatory requirements". If I tap it, it goes to the Play Store app. But the Google account shown in the Play Store app does have a birthdate (fake, of course). A few days later it popped up again, and I dismissed it again. Today it popped up again, but says "you must provide your birthday now".

Checking online, there is no information about this specific notification, but there is information like this: https://support.google.com/accounts/ans ... 3913?hl=en
which says that Google may at random lock you out of your account and ask you by email to verify your age with credit card or passport for mysterious reasons of their own. Therefore I am concerned, because I don't want to be locked out any of my Google accounts. But I can't even tell which account the notification is for, because tapping it simply opens the Play Store app with whatever Google account that the Play Store happens to be set to, apparently not the account generating the notification which is not identified.

I haven't purchased anything, subscribed to anything or posted anything on Youtube or whatever recently in any Google account that would seem to have any relation to this sudden notification.

Only the old Android 4.4 tablet showed these notifications, so I went through the Google accounts that were present on that tablet. There has been no email from Google in any of them. A couple didn't have a birthdate, so I added one (fake, of course).

So now I guess I will wait and see if anything further happens, but I'm a little pissed off at Google here! What are they up to?
7 replies
Feb 26, 2011
767 posts
818 upvotes
Calgary
What apps do you have loaded on the tablet?

Do you browse on it and click "yes" when websites ask to give you notifications?

It's more likely than not some scammer that's trying to get your personal info, rather than google itself.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2018
4596 posts
4656 upvotes
Vancouver
Only old apps that have been there for years (like I said, Android 4.4). Auto update is turned off. The only apps normally in use are the Firefox web browser and Tasker, running the home automation stuff.

As I said, when I tap the notification that pops up, it goes to the Google Play Store app. That would seem to indicate that it's coming from Google, and it has something to do with the Play Store. Google seems to be assuming that you only have one Google account on the tablet, so you don't need any more specifics.
May 9, 2018
33 posts
21 upvotes
I'm getting this notification as well on an Android 8.1 phone. Have just been ignoring it for now.
Jan 7, 2020
4 posts
I just got this notification on a google account. Is it safe to ignore?
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2015
6578 posts
2950 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
Got it as well and started to enter but then just closed browser and logged in again... no bday question this time.
July 13, 2017 to October 25, 2018: BOC raised rates 5 times and MCAP raised its prime rate next day each time.

2020: BOC dropped rates 3 times and MCAP waited and waited to drop its prime rate to include all 3 drops.
Deal Expert
Apr 16, 2001
15787 posts
2388 upvotes
Just use 01-01-01. Easy to remember, and still an adult.
Whenever someone asks a question that starts with "Why do they..." or "Why don't they...", the answer is always a) money, b) stupidity, or c) both.
Apr 8, 2021
13 posts
19 upvotes
Montreal
yep just use Jan 1, 2001

Then companies get hacked, hackers know your real birthdate...
'2003