Computers & Electronics

Google blocks Chromecast App in Canada, what are you using?

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 19th, 2013 11:15 am
[OP]
Jul 12, 2003
831 posts
29 upvotes

Google blocks Chromecast App in Canada, what are you using?

I finally had time to try my Chromecast last night and was disappointed that I couldn't download the Android App. What are you using?

Came across a hack to install the official Google Chromecast app, pretty easy. I posted the instruction and file up on my server in case you guys need it: Chromecast App for Canada.

[IMG]http://businesstoolreviews.com/files/20 ... 300x62.png[/IMG]
8 replies
Deal Guru
Mar 28, 2006
10032 posts
1521 upvotes
For iOS, just register an US account and it should work.

For Android, use NinjaVPN to install.

Works for me but it is really just a Youtube player on the TV. The control is almost non-exisitent. Need more improvements to be really useful.
[OP]
Jul 12, 2003
831 posts
29 upvotes
I came across this but when I drop by AVI movie in chrome it starts downloading instead of playing it. Tried to create a html page embedding the movie but it failed to play. (bad coding or not compatible?)
Deal Addict
Oct 29, 2002
1746 posts
189 upvotes
Toronto
my chromecast won't play any local content on my tv. when i load it via the chrome extension it says there's a connectivity problem. netflix and youtube work fine though. annoying.
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
32228 posts
8513 upvotes
GTHA
chowder wrote:
Sep 24th, 2013 7:58 pm
my chromecast won't play any local content on my tv. when i load it via the chrome extension it says there's a connectivity problem. netflix and youtube work fine though. annoying.
Calm down, everyone: Chromecast will stream local content
Summary: Don’t worry, Google isn’t purposefully squashing apps that support local streaming on Chromecast.
[OP]
Jul 12, 2003
831 posts
29 upvotes
I listed my WD Live Tv on Kijiji but I had to pull it and keep it until Chromecast stream local media. Hope they get it done soon.
tk1000 wrote:
Sep 24th, 2013 11:26 pm
Calm down, everyone: Chromecast will stream local content
Summary: Don’t worry, Google isn’t purposefully squashing apps that support local streaming on Chromecast.