Expired Hot Deals

[Google.com] $111.20 Stadia Premiere $71.20 Stadia Controller

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 22nd, 2020 10:22 am
Dec 5, 2013
9 posts
5 upvotes
eahmed wrote: Will Google Stadia Stick around? tempted to jump in as that price is somewhat enticing.
I have been following the platform for a bit now, and it looks like they are in it for the long haul. From an interview with some of the developers working on Stadia, they have also confirmed it.
Of course they can just be saying that but here are a few other things that imply they are sticking around:
It's extremely rare that Google scraps a service with a subscription option.
They have also bought out game studios, and have made 3 of their own game studios (1 in Japan, Canada and England).
They have been working on also integrating this service with YouTube, where you can live stream games and let people watching vote on outcomes in game and also let viewers join your game. These features are still in progress but they have been rolled out for a select set of games.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2004
5837 posts
4522 upvotes
razrsharp wrote: I was just thinking this. I was just packing up my Google Nexus player from the cottage and that exact thought occurred to me. I can't see this lasting.
How Google has burnt me over the years.....

- Dropped Nexus replaced with Pixel and only return to cheap budget phones 5 years later.
- Dropped Chormecast audio, lucky I got enough spares to replace them if they die out.
- Dropped Hangout which was slowly becoming a standard on Android so people can avoid giving data to Zuckerberg using whatsapp. Nobody is using Duo.
- Dropped Google Play Music which was a way better app than Youtube Music and way more stable over Android Auto.

What it tells me is the never adopt any Google service until it hits critical mass.
nullptr wrote: I have been following the platform for a bit now, and it looks like they are in it for the long haul. From an interview with some of the developers working on Stadia, they have also confirmed it.
Of course they can just be saying that but here are a few other things that imply they are sticking around:
It's extremely rare that Google scraps a service with a subscription option.
They have also bought out game studios, and have made 3 of their own game studios (1 in Japan, Canada and England).
They have been working on also integrating this service with YouTube, where you can live stream games and let people watching vote on outcomes in game and also let viewers join your game. These features are still in progress but they have been rolled out for a select set of games.
I don't trust them because they are not a leader in any fronts.

1. MS Gamepass is NOW the defacto leader in subscription service. MS seems to be willing to drop down billions to buy studios to include into Gamepass and turn their title into exclusives to keep them away from other platforms.

2. They are not leader in hosting. Azure and AWS is.

3. They are not leader in gaming, Amazon's Twitch is. Luna + Twitch integration will add a lot of fans and players.

I don't see how Stadia will win in this race. So I think while they have to put up a brave face about keeping it up, I don't see how unless something starts to go for them in the gaming space.
Last edited by Xtrema on Oct 20th, 2020 5:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2008
2145 posts
1080 upvotes
Xtrema wrote: How Google has burnt me over the years.....

- Dropped Nexus replaced with Pixel and only return to cheap budget phones 5 years later.
- Dropped Chormecast audio, lucky I got enough spares to replace them if they die out.
- Dropped Hangout which was slowly becoming a standard on Android so people can avoid giving data to Zuckerberg using whatsapp. Nobody is using Duo.
- Dropped Google Play Music which was a way better app than Youtube Music and way more stable over Android Auto.

What it tells me is the never adopt any Google service until it hits critical mass.
I too am pissed about Play Music. I much preferred it to YouTube or Spotify.
Deal Addict
May 26, 2005
1068 posts
494 upvotes
Winnipeg
Xtrema wrote: Google's track record on giving up on products, don't bet on it.

IMO, the only way I can see them come back to this fight is to give away the hardware for free and merge all these online paid service similar to Apple One model.

https://www.theverge.com/2020/9/15/2143 ... ade-icloud

There is no way I will pay for Stadia right now. Not a cent. But you throw youtube music and youtube premium into the mix for $15/mth, I don't mind it.
Yes, this is holding me back from dropping $$$ on a stadia controller.
Feb 23, 2005
207 posts
41 upvotes
razrsharp wrote: I too am pissed about Play Music. I much preferred it to YouTube or Spotify.
+1. After I transfer my library to YTM, I found that I can't edit metadata of the files. This reason alone is enough for me to not using YTM. :facepalm: Google...
Deal Expert
Oct 9, 2003
17528 posts
626 upvotes
redflagdealsguy wrote: Is 50mpbs sufficient for 4K60?
That's a good question. I want the wired adapter on my 4k fire stick when Luna launches but there isn't a gigabit solution for that. There is a 100 meg solution though.
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2009
4440 posts
2536 upvotes
eahmed wrote: Will Google Stadia Stick around? tempted to jump in as that price is somewhat enticing.
Worse case is you get a Chromecast Ultra and a good bluetooth/USB controller.

They're going to be around for a while, they made significant infrastructure investments server side. But then it's Google, they have billions of dollars and projects come in and out....they don't...really care.
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2009
4440 posts
2536 upvotes
redflagdealsguy wrote: Is 50mpbs sufficient for 4K60?
Yes if you're not on Wifi and ethernet or you have REALLY stable WiFi and low latency. Not so much speed but really latency sensitive, especially when you're playing FPS or racing games. Those I know who play F1 are fine 99.99% of the time, and the only hiccup is their own connection.
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2009
4440 posts
2536 upvotes
Senk wrote: Yes, this is holding me back from dropping $$$ on a stadia controller.
I went in with Stadia as I was about to drop money on XBox Live Gold and Destiny 2..with DLCs...but after playing the free version of D2, the load times were horrid and adding up the cost was more than Stadia for a year. At least Stadia comes with D2 with all DLC (up to BL), Elder Scrolls (not free anymore), some great indie games (orcs must die is REALLY good) and demo days are handy especially when there's zero downloads.

Give it a try, you don't need a Stadia controller to play, any controller works and Stadia plays literally on anything, your phone, crappy chromebook or Mac. Keyboard mouse works too
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
16190 posts
17692 upvotes
Is this thread an example of begging choosers in 2020?

Seems pretty great for most games except twitch muscle shooters.
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2008
2145 posts
1080 upvotes
SleepyZippy wrote: +1. After I transfer my library to YTM, I found that I can't edit metadata of the files. This reason alone is enough for me to not using YTM. :facepalm: Google...
Ever find a way to port a Play Music playlist over to Spotify? I can't seem to get that going either, almost like there once was an import feature that's now gone.
Deal Addict
Mar 13, 2012
1373 posts
839 upvotes
Near You
Free is still too much to pay for stadia.
• AMEX Platinum
• MC BrimRogersSTACK • Visa TD AeroplanScotiabank Momentum
• TDCT • HSBC Premier • Tangerine • Fido 25GB/35$ • Public Mobile • Google Fi • Novus 1GIG/60$
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
16190 posts
17692 upvotes
mistytalon wrote: Free is still too much to pay for stadia.
I get the hate for LoU2, for Battlefield V, and for any pandering game that undermines story and gameplay to placate.

I don't get the hate for Stadia, and I think the FUD'ing might undermine a legitimate nascent market. Cloud gaming will eventually become big, and as much as I may distrust Google, I'd like to see an entrant like them in this space.

My two cents.
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2009
4440 posts
2536 upvotes
redflagdealsguy wrote: I get the hate for LoU2, for Battlefield V, and for any pandering game that undermines story and gameplay to placate.

I don't get the hate for Stadia, and I think the FUD'ing might undermine a legitimate nascent market. Cloud gaming will eventually become big, and as much as I may distrust Google, I'd like to see an entrant like them in this space.

My two cents.
The hate was from last year's lackluster launch, glitches and quirks also combined with poor confusing marketing and no one really understood the model at first glance. i started in March when they offered the free 3 months and by week 2 I ordered a controller and CCU. Cloud gaming makes so much sense and has been a great in-between gen console. 4k HDR 60fps gaming for $100ish essentially. Yes limited game library but all I play is Destiny 2, some Grid, and looking forward to Cyberpunk 2077. To get the same experience I would need a Xbox One X, and pay for xbox live gold.