Expired Hot Deals

[Google.com] $150 Google Store credit WUB Google Pixel 3a 3aXL

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 27th, 2019 10:29 am
Mar 7, 2011
6 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
With free photo cloud storage there is no reason to keep pics and videos on the phone, I have a pixel2 64gb and300+ apps installed. Still have14 gb left.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 1, 2002
6720 posts
2544 upvotes
Toronto
Pkosta wrote:
May 9th, 2019 10:13 pm
With free photo cloud storage there is no reason to keep pics and videos on the phone, I have a pixel2 64gb and300+ apps installed. Still have14 gb left.
There's no unlimited full res photos on the 3a, just the standard HQ available to anyone.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2018
1184 posts
966 upvotes
Angultra wrote:
May 9th, 2019 9:20 pm
Pixel 3a doesn't include the unlimited full size photos like the regular Pixel, just unlimited HQ (compressed) like every other phone.
Which is perfectly fine for huge majority of people

And Amazon prime also comes with free full size photo storage too
Deal Fanatic
Mar 1, 2002
6720 posts
2544 upvotes
Toronto
StatsGuy wrote:
May 9th, 2019 10:46 pm
Which is perfectly fine for huge majority of people

And Amazon prime also comes with free full size photo storage too
Fine with me too, just wanted to clarify it's not the same bonus as the other Pixel phones.

Fyi with Asus phones you get 100GB Google Drive storage for a year, I got the offer with my Zenfone 3 Zoom and Zenfone 4 Pro. Can't stack though.
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2005
3800 posts
979 upvotes
GTA
The High Quality free tier with compression is fine for most people. I think some people forget that it applies to videos too though and while compression with photos is mostly unnoticeable, with videos it's a huge difference.

Fortunately, 30TB Google Drive storage is only $420/month Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes
Deal Addict
Dec 31, 2013
1326 posts
709 upvotes
condo
RFDQ1016 wrote:
May 9th, 2019 11:42 am
As expected, 3a XL and 10E are the same price on Koodo.

However 3aXL is 4gb/64gb, vs 8gb/256gb on 10E.

The camera is a little better on the pixel and it gets 3yrs of support. However 10E has a superior display, processor, storage, Ram, design, micro SD, ip68, wireless charging, wide angle second camera
The 3yrs of software support for Google phones is a bunch of bollocks... Samsung's S8 is upgradeable to Android 9/Q. Even the S7 and S7 edge were upgradeable from Android 6 to 8 before OS updates stopped (similar to Nexus 6p). But the phone still works absolutely fine as a backup and still gets app updates regularly from Google Play...

Similarly, Oneplus 5T is still getting Android 9 updates and will likely get Android Q support. On the other hand, look at the bootloop issues with the Nexus 5x and 6p... And what's the point of OS updates if your phone starts to run slow coz of hardware limitations anyway (case and point the crippling hardware of the Pixel 3a compared to Galaxy S10e) ? Upside-down Face

BTW, not disagreeing with your post, just pointing out the absurdity of some people's logic... Also, the Pixel line of phones have pretty bad battery life, even if you disable all the data sharing and uploads to Google, seems like the big G has some backdoor ways of uploading your data that drains the standby times.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 18, 2010
6358 posts
3114 upvotes
Canada
tmonies wrote:
May 10th, 2019 12:45 am
The 3yrs of software support for Google phones is a bunch of bollocks... Samsung's S8 is upgradeable to Android 9/Q. Even the S7 and S7 edge were upgradeable from Android 6 to 8 before OS updates stopped (similar to Nexus 6p). But the phone still works absolutely fine as a backup and still gets app updates regularly from Google Play...

Similarly, Oneplus 5T is still getting Android 9 updates and will likely get Android Q support. On the other hand, look at the bootloop issues with the Nexus 5x and 6p... And what's the point of OS updates if your phone starts to run slow coz of hardware limitations anyway (case and point the crippling hardware of the Pixel 3a compared to Galaxy S10e) ? Upside-down Face

BTW, not disagreeing with your post, just pointing out the absurdity of some people's logic... Also, the Pixel line of phones have pretty bad battery life, even if you disable all the data sharing and uploads to Google, seems like the big G has some backdoor ways of uploading your data that drains the standby times.
I'm usually a nexus/pixel clean Android experience supporter, but now that s10e and P3a are at similar prices, it is a no brainer to get the s10e. It's a genuine flagship and a superior phone. No question about it.

If the 3aXL drops to $0 tab medium it will be interesting.
Also interested to see how the a50/a70 are priced in Canada, since they are more direct competition for the 3A/xl
Public Mobile and Koodo customer
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2018
1184 posts
966 upvotes
RFDQ1016 wrote:
May 10th, 2019 1:19 am
I'm usually a nexus/pixel clean Android experience supporter, but now that s10e and P3a are at similar prices, it is a no brainer to get the s10e. It's a genuine flagship and a superior phone. No question about it.

If the 3aXL drops to $0 tab medium it will be interesting.
Also interested to see how the a50/a70 are priced in Canada, since they are more direct competition for the 3A/xl
How are they at similar prices when the pixel 3a is few hundred cheaper than the s10e?

https://www.samsung.com/ca/smartphones/galaxy-s10/buy/#

$1159 vs $549/$649
Last edited by StatsGuy on May 10th, 2019 8:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2018
1184 posts
966 upvotes
tmonies wrote:

Samsung is atrocious for upgrade, ya it may eventually come but like 12 months later. And camera is no contest between pixel and s10e. Not to mention much better battery on the pixel 3a xl

Samsung outside of note series don't have good battery life. I'll take the 3a xl with a 3700mah for battery life over a s10e

Also much much better customer service from Google compared to the shitfest that's Samsung . Google will do things well outside warranty and send next day replacements . Samsung, send to futuretel and pray. Took them over 2 weeks to send me back my s9 when the headphone jack stopped working after a month

It's despicable how bad Samsung service is for price they charge compared to apple or Google
Deal Fanatic
Mar 22, 2005
9877 posts
2556 upvotes
StatsGuy wrote:
May 10th, 2019 8:18 am
Samsung is atrocious for upgrade, ya it may eventually come but like 12 months later. And camera is no contest between pixel and s10e. Not to mention much better battery on the pixel 3a xl. Samsung outside of note series don't have good battery life. I'll take the 3a xl with a 3700mah for battery life over a s10e

Also much much better customer service from Google compared to the shitfest that's Samsung . Google will do things well outside warranty and send next day replacements . Samsung, send to futuretel and pray. Took them over 2 weeks to send me back my s9 when the headphone jack stopped working after a month. It's despicable how bad Samsung service is for price they charge compared to apple or Google
Samsung makes the best hardware IMO and water resistant with a headphone jack. The software updates are later but not 12 months and I don't care that much.

That said - 3a is a bragoon, especially if you want a good camera and good screen. If I was looking mid-range this is THE phone to get.
Dec 25, 2017
40 posts
35 upvotes
Vancouver
tmonies wrote:

Actually, it is Samsung's software update that is a bunch of bollocks. Their updates come in anywhere after 9 months to a year post release of an Android version. As such, the Pixel and Samsung's line of devices are not comparable at all.

And let us not forget all those ads that are default in Samsung. This review of the S10 clearly mentions the ads and the crapware installed by default on your premium device. While Google's Android is already profiling the user to a certain extent, I hate it that Samsung involved a bunch more uninvited guests to the party (a gangb**g of sorts).
[OP]
Feb 10, 2003
943 posts
523 upvotes
Calgary
RFDQ1016 wrote:
May 10th, 2019 10:37 am
As mentioned previously,
Koodo pricing is identical right now for 64gb P3aXL and 256gb S10e
But the 3aXL at Koodo is more expensive than buying direct from Google. Why in the hell would anybody do that?
Deal Fanatic
Jan 18, 2010
6358 posts
3114 upvotes
Canada
Strider wrote:
May 10th, 2019 10:53 am
But the 3aXL at Koodo is more expensive than buying direct from Google. Why in the hell would anybody do that?
It's still only a $30 difference. S10E is easily worth that. Look at what you're getting with the s10e
Public Mobile and Koodo customer
Deal Addict
Mar 22, 2004
3021 posts
564 upvotes
Went through dozens of reviews of 3a/3a XL and they are pretty good deal for the $$$ but the CPU and speed benchmark is comparable to iPhone 6/6s, I get that the cost savings should be somewhere but using that CPU is way way too slow. I was thinking of getting 3a XL but if it is same speed as my iPhone, no thank you.

Just to keep it in mind. I need to play with it and see how it performs.... 6 years old CPU... are they clearing the old stock and got them for free??