• Last Updated:
  • Aug 23rd, 2019 1:40 pm
Aug 18, 2013
462 posts
426 upvotes
AB
StatsGuy wrote:
May 7th, 2019 7:10 pm
It's a budget phone, budget phones have headphone jacks, premium phones mostly don't
guess i'm never buying a premium phone
Deal Addict
Oct 8, 2009
1515 posts
828 upvotes
Kitchener
plllll0 wrote:
May 8th, 2019 12:53 am
guess i'm never buying a premium phone
It's funny cause I think samsung is going the other way. Budget will NOT have headphone, but premium will.
Mar 18, 2011
832 posts
373 upvotes
Pickering
95thRiflesOCI wrote:
May 7th, 2019 9:47 pm
Google already lost in the flagship catagory and are now entering the mid-rangers but beside the camera which is quickly becoming nothing special this is just a over-priced android one device.
How did they lose in the flagship category?
Aug 17, 2018
394 posts
240 upvotes
Richard1986 wrote:
May 8th, 2019 1:16 am
How did they lose in the flagship category?
It really shows in their sales, even with all the positive reviews and hype for stock android experience, they really slump in moving Pixel 3's off the shelf. Design philosophy and spec sheets are also a factor.
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2006
4033 posts
16682 upvotes
TORONTO
95thRiflesOCI wrote:
May 7th, 2019 9:47 pm
Google already lost in the flagship catagory and are now entering the mid-rangers but beside the camera which is quickly becoming nothing special this is just a over-priced android one device.
Like you noted, the Pixel is not even the best camera. There isnt a single "best camera" as a lot of vendors have taken the top spots in each category ... iPhone (video), Pixel (Portrait, Selfie-Portrait), Huawei (Night, Zoom) etc. and when it comes to overall camera, the general consensus is still leaning towards the iPhone since the camera experience for Pixel has slipped a lot since launch. I'm not even sure how the camera experience is going to be on this phone.

Interested in the Nest Max, it looks like it can be put to good use as a control hub for smart home purposes.
Deal Guru
May 14, 2007
14921 posts
1886 upvotes
Scarborough / Markha…
MrsDoubtfire wrote:
May 7th, 2019 10:31 pm
Ah thanks, INSTB.

(I've Never Seen That Before)
Should probably be INSDB (I've Never Seen Dat Before). Just to follow the convention of weird 1337 spelling of you with a U.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2003
7028 posts
282 upvotes
Port Moody
Esg876 wrote:
May 7th, 2019 4:11 pm
Offer isn’t valid if the device is returned.
let him think he is smart
Aug 7, 2012
47 posts
53 upvotes
anon_s wrote:
May 8th, 2019 2:01 am
Like you noted, the Pixel is not even the best camera. There isnt a single "best camera" as a lot of vendors have taken the top spots in each category ... iPhone (video), Pixel (Portrait, Selfie-Portrait), Huawei (Night, Zoom) etc. and when it comes to overall camera, the general consensus is still leaning towards the iPhone since the camera experience for Pixel has slipped a lot since launch. I'm not even sure how the camera experience is going to be on this phone.

Interested in the Nest Max, it looks like it can be put to good use as a control hub for smart home purposes.
Wrong, the Pixel line still has the most consistent, point and shoot camera that outputs realistic colours. The Pixel selfie cam is also one of the best. iPhone cameras are best inclass for video and produce great warm photos, low light photography is pretty trash though. Huawei has the most detail, but can be inconsistent as the HDR is not as good as Google's. Night sight is better as it captures more detail and brighter low light photos.
Dec 26, 2010
894 posts
556 upvotes
pulled the trigger to use as a test device for work. getting frustrated with samsung's slow updates
Feb 4, 2019
133 posts
136 upvotes
brianfoo wrote:
May 8th, 2019 3:08 am
Wrong, the Pixel line still has the most consistent, point and shoot camera that outputs realistic colours. The Pixel selfie cam is also one of the best. iPhone cameras are best inclass for video and produce great warm photos, low light photography is pretty trash though. Huawei has the most detail, but can be inconsistent as the HDR is not as good as Google's. Night sight is better as it captures more detail and brighter low light photos.
Huawei's night photography has pretty easily surpassed Google's Night Sight. Their auto mode is better than Night Sight due to their unique RYYB sensor which captures more light.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/4/1/18290 ... ode-photos

However, that RYYB sensor has led to some complaints of dull colours and a sometimes reddish hue. Huawei will probably be able to improve this over time with updates but due to these issues, daytime photography out of the main sensor hasn't been as well received. Most reviewers I've read/watched still prefer the main camera from Google, Apple and/or Samsung over that of the P30 Pro.

Like you and the poster you quoted mentioned though, the title of best camera phone is hard to ascertain as each camera phone has their strengths and weaknesses. People just need to figure out what's most important to them from their camera phone.

The S10's cameras are probably the most well rounded with great video (best android phone for video) and good/great photo with three focal lengths. Their greatest weakness is night time photography.

The iPhone's are best in class for video while still being great for photos. Their drawbacks are the missing super wide angle lens and weak night time photography.

The P30 Pro is best in class for zoom and nighttime photography. Video is lacking in comparison to Apple/Samsung while the main sensor has some issues. The P30 Pro has a super wide lens as well but it's not quite as wide as the Samsung super wide.

The Pixels have the best selfie cameras (super wide angle selfie too) and arguably the best main sensor which is a good thing because it's the only camera it has on the back (no super wide or telephoto but the super res zoom almost makes up for the telephoto). Night Sight is also still way ahead of what Apple and Samsung are offering. Video is on par (if not better than Huawei) but behind Apple and Samsung.
Apr 24, 2013
291 posts
116 upvotes
Crna Gora
Again an overpriced phone.

They want us to buy a phone just for the camera haha. There are phones now that take similar quality photos and I do not need a perfect camera (not that the Pixel camera is) so OP6t camera will be more than enough for 95% of people.

On the other hand we get the glitchy and buggy pixel experience with 64gb of memory in 2019 when the norm is 128gb.
We get the ugliest design compare to any other phone, ever I might say.
Feb 28, 2002
717 posts
196 upvotes
Alberta
No Qi.
No thanks.
Google wrote:Battery:
Pixel 3a: 3000 mAh battery
Pixel 3a XL: 3700 mAh battery

USB-C™ 18 W adaptor with USB-PD 2.0
18 W fast charging⁵

⁵Charging rates are based on use of the included charger. Actual results may vary.
Fido 3 GB 100% - 50%
Public Mobile Fall 2016
Feb 14, 2019
258 posts
136 upvotes
parshakov wrote:
May 8th, 2019 12:14 am
My main question is, who supplies the OLED panels, LG or Samsung? And what does gOLED stand for?
I thought I read somewhere that it meant glass OLED. pOLED was plastic.