Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Google.com

$400 off Pixel 3($599 for 64GB) and Pixel 3XL($729 for 64GB)

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 29th, 2019 9:54 pm
Jul 29, 2013
300 posts
185 upvotes
Toronto
Parrajara wrote: Depends what your needs are I suppose... I don't run a small business from my phone nor do I have family with chronic diseases that require my immediate attention- so I can live with subpar voice quality and internet speed. I'd rather have more money in my pocket than have more than I need in my phone plan.
You don't necessarily need a small business or chronic diseases to be on a good network. The fact is your spending A LOT for a plan whereby you don't necessarily get the features they offer. 13gigs of data and unlimited text is pointless if you are inside a building. Friends and family can't hear you when you call and you won't be able to share the great pictures you caught on your Pixel 3 XL. I'd try to use that Manitoba/QC loop hole to get yourself a plan with a better provider and you'll pay the same amount.
Sep 28, 2014
36 posts
19 upvotes
jiayejoe wrote: That's the case for many/most people who show up in store and grab the latest flagship on 2 year contracts with outrageous plans, but many RFDer actually do manage to grab subsidized phones on great plans / deals. While it's usually cheaper to go BYOD with higher upfront cost, there are some great deals to be had on subsidized phones (especially with Grandfathered plans), even with Koodo shutting the loophole 5 weeks ago.

For example, in early September, my GF was 3 months away from the end of her contract with Fido . She was on a $45/mo, 3GB Unltd Talk/Text, considered a Medium Plan. Well, she managed to grab a brand new Pixel 3 on her current plan for 19.99$ + tax at Costco, minus $250 in GC. They even waived off the remaining ~$75 balance on her phone. It's much cheaper for her to keep the same plan, than saving ~$10 per month to drop to a comparable BYOD plan and paying $600 upfront for the phone.

So yeah, while BYOD + paying phone upfront is usually the way to go for the best deal down the road, (That's what I actually do), there are still opportunities to find great deals on subsidized phones.
That's incredible. What am I missing here?

So your GF was able to:
- Retain her $45/month plan
- Get a new highly rated phone for $20
- They wrote off her remaining debt of $75 for existing phone
- They gave an additional $250 - gift cards.

I'm not seeing how that possibly benefits Fido or Costco, to take such a hit?!

I pay $45/month pre-tax for 2Gb/month + Canada wide talk/text with Koodo. Perhaps I need to visit Costco more often.
Granted, that's enough for my limited needs but if your GF could negotiate a deal for you - geez, you'd be saving a ton every time.
Nov 24, 2014
500 posts
476 upvotes
Quebec, QC
Marc99999 wrote: That's incredible. What am I missing here?

So your GF was able to:
- Retain her $45/month plan
- Get a new highly rated phone for $20
- They wrote off her remaining debt of $75 for existing phone
- They gave an additional $250 off (sorry, what is GC - credits)?

I'm not seeing how that possibly benefits Fido or Costco, to take such a hit?!

I pay $45/month pre-tax for 2Gb/month + Canada wide talk/text with Koodo.
Granted, that's enough for my limited needs but if your GF could negotiate a deal for you - geez, you'd be saving a ton every time.
Yeah, you got it right. GC = $250 Costco Gift card.

I'm not sure how third party phone /contract resellers operate, but my guess is that Costco gets a cut of the monthly fees throughout the duration of the contract.

Technically, her "real" phone cost her:
$10/ month x 24 months (comparable BYOD are $10 cheaper)
$20 upfront
+ taxes
- $250 Costco GC

so a net cost of about $50 after taxes.

And yeah, I wish I was able to get the same deal as her, but unfortunately her $45 3GB medium plan is "grandfathered" from about 8 months ago. I tried getting a comparable deal on my line (currently on a BYOD $35 3GB plan) , but I couldn't get anyone at Fido to offer me a $45 3GB medium plan. Best offer I got was $55 4GB Medium plan, so I'm sticking with my phone/plan until Black Friday for now.
Feb 29, 2012
792 posts
356 upvotes
Clocksmith25 wrote: You don't necessarily need a small business or chronic diseases to be on a good network. The fact is your spending A LOT for a plan whereby you don't necessarily get the features they offer. 13gigs of data and unlimited text is pointless if you are inside a building. Friends and family can't hear you when you call and you won't be able to share the great pictures you caught on your Pixel 3 XL. I'd try to use that Manitoba/QC loop hole to get yourself a plan with a better provider and you'll pay the same amount.
Part of the savings from using those on other providers is wiped out for me with no PST on an AB number vs paying 8%/10% on those provinces numbers

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)