Price:
Free
Expiry:
January 14, 2021
Retailer:
Google.com
More offers from Google.com
Free 3 months of Stadia Pro for Chromebooks owners

Chromebooks launched after June 2017 are eligible for this Stadia Pro trial. Users must redeem the code by January 14th, 2021. The deal is available for existing Stadia Pro subscribers as well.

Get your code here:
https://www.google.com/intl/en_ca/chromebook/perks/
35 replies
Apr 23, 2015
119 posts
69 upvotes
North Vancouver, BC
Stadia is the most meh service ever. I would never buy a game on it unless it was dirt cheap, as it might no exist sooner than later. Super half assed effort by Google.
Deal Fanatic
May 9, 2009
5891 posts
1720 upvotes
Montreal
goobydale wrote: The whole Chromebook line is half assed.
Says the guy who has never used a Chromebook.
Jan 12, 2007
11 posts
29 upvotes
Brampton
Stadia is the most meh service ever. I would never buy a game on it unless it was dirt cheap, as it might no exist sooner than later. Super half assed effort by Google.
Was that your experience on it? What games did you try and what device did you play it on?
Deal Addict
Aug 22, 2012
3540 posts
3917 upvotes
Toronto
smart, xcloud launches next month.
Apr 23, 2015
119 posts
69 upvotes
North Vancouver, BC
quinkidink wrote: Was that your experience on it? What games did you try and what device did you play it on?
I don't dislike the service, although it could be better. I tried playing grid and there is noticeable lag. What I dislike is the lack of catalog, and the service model is horrendous, as you are forced to buy from a single storefront at terrible prices, and pay a subscription on top for the benefit. At least geforce now I can access most of my library and I can buy from multiple storefronts, and it works just as well. The second part is that I don't trust Google on seeing the service through, specially after how badly it has been received and the lack of adoption, so I would never buy a full priced game on it.
Jul 14, 2014
864 posts
355 upvotes
Toronto, ON
The service itself is not bad, performance is pretty decent, but the thing that irks me is the price of the games. Even on sale, they are significantly more expensive than on consoles and a lot more expensive than on PC.

I don't like being restricted to buying only from Google and not having the option to buy from other storefronts.

The other issue is the small player base. If you're playing multiplayer, you'll have trouble finding anyone to play with in the lobbies.

And yes, the catalog of games is tiny.
Dec 5, 2013
7 posts
1 upvote
Niklasky wrote: The service itself is not bad, performance is pretty decent, but the thing that irks me is the price of the games. Even on sale, they are significantly more expensive than on consoles and a lot more expensive than on PC.

I don't like being restricted to buying only from Google and not having the option to buy from other storefronts.

The other issue is the small player base. If you're playing multiplayer, you'll have trouble finding anyone to play with in the lobbies.

And yes, the catalog of games is tiny.
I haven't bought any of the last gen consoles (aside from Nintendo) so I don't currently have any invested library of games anywhere. For me, I have been really enjoying Stadia and have little to no problems (I experienced lag or drop in quality a max of 1 time a month). I agree with most of what you're saying though. I think because cloud gaming is only starting to enter the mainstream, stores still have yet to adapt. I would hope that storefronts will eventually sell game codes in stores and on their online stores.

Keep in mind Stadia is only 8-9 months old so building out their library will take some time. Google has bought out and opened their own game studio's and they are building a lot of integration between YouTube and Stadia. This level of investment isn't similar to any of their other "graveyard" projects. Personally, I think they are in this for the long haul but I guess only time will tell.

I've signed up for the free trial in the past, which gives you access to free games, and discounts on purchasable games (if you're saying they're too expensive wait for a discount they have discounts most of the time). Also they have recently given everyone a $10 store credit (expires in December 2020) which I'm sure was already posted here at some point.

I'd say if you have been invested into PC/Consoles over the last 2+ years then now may not be the best time for you to get into Stadia (unless you want to buy like 1 game because really all you have to do is buy the game), but if anyone stopped gaming for awhile due to life being busy or whatever, I would really recommend trying it. It works amazing for anyone looking to get back into gaming.
Deal Addict
May 2, 2004
1500 posts
329 upvotes
enhanced wrote: Love my Chromebook.
So do I. Kids had one for school and I found it perfect for surfing and doing 90% of what I typically would do on a laptop. Plus pretty much instant on, 10+ hr battery life and super snappy. So I got myself one as well.

So wish they had a down vote option on this forum Smiling Face With Open Mouth
Apr 4, 2020
40 posts
144 upvotes
psyko514 wrote:
Says the guy who has never used a Chromebook.
enhanced wrote:
Love my Chromebook.
I saw this too late. I have an HP chromebook G13 QHD+ screen, 16Gbs of ram and Intel y7. So yes I do have a chromebook. Yes I do know what I'm talking about. Thanks

Edit: I know what your argument for chromebooks is going to be. "It's centered around chrome, it's really just for browsing and It does that well". It was that for perhaps for 2 years. Watch how google places them in the market. They promote it like it can do everything PC or Mac can which THEY can't. Google even has "a make the switch" page for you to transfer from your system to theirs. You like your chromebook? Good. But stop covering for this halfassery. You and people like you are stoping progress with this passivity.
Apr 8, 2020
67 posts
69 upvotes
Chromebook was good until Windows laptops started being the same price with the same battery life.

No point in having a limited OS at that point.
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2009
3739 posts
1755 upvotes
Jokerpersona wrote: Chromebook was good until Windows laptops started being the same price with the same battery life.

No point in having a limited OS at that point.
Windows still has a mountain of minor inconveniences that drive me up the wall. Driver updates, software updates, restarts after updates, driver corrupted, roll back the driver, antivirus updates. Chromebook is an open and go solution for basic computing which is 90% of most peoples needs like banking, email, browsing, and web based work.
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2009
3739 posts
1755 upvotes
Stadia Pro user since March here:

Before jumping in to paid, I tried it out and what sold me was no load times for Destiny 2. Coming from Xbox One, it was the biggest difference and why pay Xbox Live + Destiny 2 bundles and DLC when Stadia Pro has it for $12 a month? Now I get Destiny 2 in 4K 60fps on my TV.

Performance is highly dependent on your home network though, you can call it a hidden cost. Having a reliable connection that has low latency, and constant speeds is important, with your home network and ISP. I've had random lag and disconnects here and there, but no different than XBox Live or Destiny servers going down (anteater). I'm on Bell's 500/500

Grid 2 is awesome, again no load times make a huge difference versus Forza where load times would take longer than the race itself...

I love Stadia as it's like having a next gen console for $120 (Chromecast Ultra + Controller) and $12 a month. Yes games are limited but that's up to personal preference. I spend most of my time on Destiny 2, Orcs Must Die 3, Grid 2, and looking forward to buy Cyberpunk 2077.

Yes Game Pass/xCloud could kill Stadia IF their new budget console is under $200 CDN and service under $15 a month. Stadia doesn't have any AAA exclusives and limited game library, all they have is a great gaming experience that's super fast and looks great for pennies.

They keep giving away free trials because strangely there's a lot of users who haven't tried it but post crap about it, or tried it at launch and haven't tried it since then but there's been huge improvements. Google also really sucks at marketing Stadia, it's been really confusing because it's sort of like but not really like XBox Game Pass.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)