Price:
Savings:
$300 off
Expiry:
September 5, 2019
Retailer:
Google.com
More offers from Google.com
Google Pixel Slate for $749 at Google Store. Free delivery. Previous deals had a bigger discount but required purchase of a keyboard so this is a better deal for those who want just the tablet. For those who purchase a keyboard as well, the discount is $400.
Last edited by FunnyGamer on Aug 29th, 2019 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
11 replies
Feb 11, 2019
268 posts
326 upvotes
ON
sprung wrote:
Aug 27th, 2019 9:36 pm
Google out of the tablet business

https://www.theverge.com/2019/6/20/1869 ... te-failure
Primary concern given Google is known to kill updates at will and the Slate experience (ChromeOS as a whole really) is still quite buggy given the performance you expect to get with the internals, still fine for budget machines though.
Aug 30, 2009
40 posts
18 upvotes
Burnaby, BC
overtask wrote:
Aug 29th, 2019 4:21 am
... the Slate experience (ChromeOS as a whole really) is still quite buggy ...
FWIW, I switched from macOS to ChromeOS about 6 months ago and not looking back. Almost instant boot ups, background updates, compatibility with Android and Linux apps -- for a lot of people it is a better OS (by far) than Windows and macOS. You do get what you pay for tho, I wouldn't recommend a ChromeOS device with less than 8Gb of RAM and CPU model lower than i3/i5 for the best experience.

I haven't heard of Google killing any updates for ChromeOS devices in the past, the Pixel Slate is guaranteed to receive updates until Jun 2024 (source: https://support.google.com/chrome/a/ans ... 0366?hl=en).

I agree with you that based on the the internals of this particular model, it's a bit overpriced, comparing to most modern 2-in-1 Chromebooks from Asus/HP/Samsung. But then it's a tablet.
Dec 22, 2012
380 posts
106 upvotes
Toronto
This would be hot if they went the route of pricing it the way Amazon did the Fire phone
Sep 1, 2017
76 posts
59 upvotes
I have the i7 Slate which I use every day when working from coffee shops. I use it more like a computer than a tablet, though occasionally reading PDFs in portrait mode does happen.

Google did fix the performance lag in recent updates, so if you are deciding against the Slate - that should not be the reason.

The real worry is that Google has decided to end the Slate line, which sucks - because I really love having Linux on this form factor with great battery life. Otherwise I'd have gotten a Thinkpad and be content with its 2h battery life on Linux. :-P
Jan 20, 2019
154 posts
140 upvotes
FunnyGamer wrote:
Aug 27th, 2019 9:16 pm
Google Pixel Slate for $749 at Google Store. Free delivery. Previous deals had a bigger discount but required purchase of a keyboard so this is a better deal for those who want just the tablet. For those who purchase a keyboard as well, the discount is $400.
Price included in the title is very helpful for future reference. Great deal though. Thanks!
Jun 26, 2007
770 posts
516 upvotes
More than a Surface Go, significantly less polished OS, and Google's support track record? No thank you.
Time Machine Salesman
Feb 20, 2004
668 posts
97 upvotes
Markham
sridca wrote:
Aug 29th, 2019 8:46 am
I have the i7 Slate which I use every day when working from coffee shops. I use it more like a computer than a tablet, though occasionally reading PDFs in portrait mode does happen.

Google did fix the performance lag in recent updates, so if you are deciding against the Slate - that should not be the reason.
Do you use any apps? I've read bad reviews of apps not working properly, but I figured there's been updates since those reviews, so I'm hoping it's better now. I have a Samsung tablet that I use daily, but it's getting old and slow (even after deleting and cleaning up stuff) and I've always liked the slate.

Thanks.
Sep 1, 2017
76 posts
59 upvotes
Snoopygis wrote:
Aug 29th, 2019 10:51 am
Do you use any apps? I've read bad reviews of apps not working properly, but I figured there's been updates since those reviews, so I'm hoping it's better now. I have a Samsung tablet that I use daily, but it's getting old and slow (even after deleting and cleaning up stuff) and I've always liked the slate.

Thanks.
Apps work fine. So does Linux (crostini). I use the Google Play Books app.
Feb 20, 2004
668 posts
97 upvotes
Markham
sridca wrote:
Aug 29th, 2019 12:36 pm
Apps work fine. So does Linux (crostini). I use the Google Play Books app.
Sweet, but maybe I should have clarified. How are non google apps?
Sep 29, 2010
110 posts
101 upvotes
Vaughan
Flunk wrote:
Aug 29th, 2019 9:36 am
More than a Surface Go, significantly less polished OS, and Google's support track record? No thank you.
This. I never understood the market for the Slate.

For around the same $ (a little more if you want to splurge), you can get a full Windows 10 OS Surface (not even a Go) which can do a lot more, and will likely have OS and application support for a long time.

Basically this is just a REALLY expensive Chromebook.