New Nest Aware Plan for Google Cameras

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 9th, 2020 11:08 pm
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2011
1004 posts
539 upvotes

New Nest Aware Plan for Google Cameras

I'm not sure if this was ever discussed in here.
I've been waiting for this new plan from Google/Nest for their Cameras
If you have multiple cameras, including doorbell, this would be a good deal and save few bucks a month.
I have 5 cameras at home, and have been paying PER device base, but now it is HOME base price whether you have 1 camera or 10 cameras.

Looks like main difference between Nest Aware and Nest Aware Plus is that 24/7 recording for first 10 days....
123.JPG
11 replies
Deal Guru
May 1, 2012
10538 posts
11427 upvotes
Toronto
Just so people know, the "events" based recording is worthless. Nest is abysmal at detecting all motion or events. They'll get most, but not all. Would be a shame if you needed to see a burglar and Nest didn't record that.
Deal Guru
Mar 1, 2002
13237 posts
12065 upvotes
Toronto
Also fyi, the "free" plan without paying anything is only 3h of event video history.
Jun 2, 2007
637 posts
849 upvotes
GTA
0 Kelvin cold. If you have 4 cams and switch to the new plus plan then you "save" $10/yr for slightly more history. Still fairly cold.

I was hoping their new basic plan would at least have 5d 24/7 recording. No way I'm switching out of their old plan with my 3 cams.
Don't forget to like and subscribe! 😎👍
Deal Fanatic
Sep 13, 2015
5779 posts
6721 upvotes
Alberta
I have several nest cameras, but I really only care about the subscription on the hello doorbell. Currently I get 24/7 video history for 5 days @ $5 a month. I would need the $16 gen 2 plan and really only use what I already have. I was hoping this was going to be more beneficial. I wouldn't mind upgrading to the $8 plan, but then I lose 24/7 video history.
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2013
1685 posts
525 upvotes
Toronto
to get 24/7 recording for my one device I now have to pay 160 per year? Coming from 50 that quite a jump in price to pay for one camera

Edit: can we keep paying for the old plans? I would much rather keep that
Deal Fanatic
Sep 13, 2015
5779 posts
6721 upvotes
Alberta
brensavoyton wrote: to get 24/7 recording for my one device I now have to pay 160 per year? Coming from 50 that quite a jump in price to pay for one camera

Edit: can we keep paying for the old plans? I would much rather keep that
I'll be keeping my gen 1 plan for as long as possible...
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2006
4627 posts
3267 upvotes
Ottawa
Love it when we go backwards.. I too was looking forward to this new plan before buying cams.. Now I'm not sure what product to get. I have a ring doorbell that lags.. So without long history it'd be shot.
Last edited by shylok on Jun 10th, 2020 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jan 17, 2005
538 posts
406 upvotes
It seems like a deal for those with more than 5 cameras (if my math is right, those with 5 cams are currently paying $17). But for most of us, this is another way by these big corporate giants of making it look like you're paying less with fewer features and you need to pay more if you want your old features. Also, a marketing strategy to make you buy at least 5 cameras to get a deal on a subscription.
Deal Addict
Jul 31, 2015
1880 posts
1820 upvotes
Maple leafs
I have 6 cams, so yeah the new deal is better for me. Although for some reason they no longer support Apple TV app with the google account.

I agree though for people with 1 or 2 cameras starting out, not having the old plans is going to hurt adoption. As the event only cheaper plan is useless. 24/7 footage is the good stuff. I wish they went with 24hr for the base plan, 5dayd for a new middle plan, 10day as is now, and a $25 plan for a new 30 day recording plan
Oct 10, 2010
563 posts
443 upvotes
soupmaster666 wrote: Might be a good deal for a Nest Aware subscription, but definitely not a good deal for a camera system.

80 bucks a year forever, to depend on cloud-based cameras that are worthless if your WiFi or Internet connection goes down... and dinky little $250 each cameras that only record up close, and can be defeated in 1 second by a broom.

Every single thing about Nest is ice cold compared to a real camera system, except the utter convenience that they've sacrificed every single other thing for.
I am in the market for one which works on Wifi + phone signal - would you recommend one that you know?
Dec 25, 2010
547 posts
89 upvotes
Toronto
I just got the outdoor cam and was already paying $50/year for the doorbell. It wanted me to sign up for the new Nest Aware, even sending me an e-mail enticing me with a free Nest Mini (I already have two). However, in order to switch and have the base amount of 24/7 recording, I'd have to then pay $160 for the year for the two cameras, versus $100 right now. $8/month (or $80/year I think it was) doesn't do any 24/7 recording, so why would I bother with this?

Luckily, you are able to still sign up for the old plan. It's also noted that if you do switch to the new Nest Aware plans, you will have to migrate your Nest account to Google, losing all Works with Nest functionality.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)