• Last Updated:
  • Mar 11th, 2020 6:13 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2009
1930 posts
1266 upvotes
Hamilton
Canadiansinner wrote: Bestbuy has the 256gb with pen listed at $749...I'd jump all over this right now if anyone is looking. It is supposed to be $1049. The 128gb model is $749.

At this cost, you can just find the pixel keyboard or brydge keyboard after the fact and still save money.

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/go ... e/B0012787

Good luck!
That's hot. Brydge keyboard $99 off Amazon.
Deal Addict
Oct 20, 2006
1045 posts
243 upvotes
For those considering the i7, it is a great deal and best "value".
However, it is $100 more than the m3 and if you want to get a keyboard that's another $100. You will be spending $200 more on top in total.
Unless you have a specific need for the i7, most users will be satisfy with the m3 since the benchmark shows that the m3 i5 and i7 are very similar to each other for day to day use.
Deal Addict
Feb 15, 2012
3298 posts
2780 upvotes
Toronto
skyngai wrote: For those considering the i7, it is a great deal and best "value".
However, it is $100 more than the m3 and if you want to get a keyboard that's another $100. You will be spending $200 more on top in total.
Unless you have a specific need for the i7, most users will be satisfy with the m3 since the benchmark shows that the m3 i5 and i7 are very similar to each other for day to day use.
4x more storage and i7 for $200 is a fair price
Feb 20, 2004
711 posts
126 upvotes
Markham
Canadiansinner wrote: Bestbuy has the 256gb with pen listed at $749...I'd jump all over this right now if anyone is looking. It is supposed to be $1049. The 128gb model is $749.

At this cost, you can just find the pixel keyboard or brydge keyboard after the fact and still save money.

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/go ... e/B0012787

Good luck!
OOS at all the stores. Can only order it online. Great deal though, I may have to jump on this.
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2008
2007 posts
1197 upvotes
Anyone have experience with the chrome OS? Are there any built-in drawing apps for the pen?

Curious. I'm interested in looking into this device but not quite sure if I would be limited ... (for example, this or just a regular good old windows laptop with similar hardware?)
Nov 16, 2006
571 posts
197 upvotes
Toronto
I'm sorry but isn't this the same pixel slate that MKBHD said to avoid at all costs?

May 17, 2012
531 posts
378 upvotes
Montreal
Yes, when it was released, software was crap / not ready for prime time AT ALL. A pattern very familiar for Google products unfortunately.

This is a Chrome OS device so it has been regularly updated since launch (over a year ago or so) and will continue to be for years and user experience has APPARENTLY vastly improved. I purchased the i5 on launch and although the device was beautiful, software was indeed a piece of crap and it was overpriced for what it was ; I returned it. Other reviewers and forum users on XDA, reddit (etc.) have since pointed out that software is no longer an issue (or much LESS of an issue at least) even for Android apps.

The 256GB i7 deal @ Best Buy is a pretty sweet deal honnestly, the screen and speaker on this thing are amazing so if the software is now indeed much improved, I'm tempted.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2013
4779 posts
2695 upvotes
Toronto
xtreemboarder wrote: I'm sorry but isn't this the same pixel slate that MKBHD said to avoid at all costs?

He's reviewing the model with a Celeron, which is no longer for sale. I disliked the Pixel Slate for other reasons (video gets choppy with too many bluetooth devices connected) but that review is not relevant to current models for sale.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 1, 2002
8595 posts
4941 upvotes
Toronto
Canadiansinner wrote: When I add the pixel keyboard and pen it only gives me a discount of $298. Does not give me full discount for the pen and the keyboard.
Can't believe they normally charge more than that for a kb and pen, what a racket.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2006
8421 posts
2896 upvotes
Other than the price, what's the difference between the keyboards? Pros or cons of each?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2009
1930 posts
1266 upvotes
Hamilton
Gutty96 wrote: Other than the price, what's the difference between the keyboards? Pros or cons of each?
Google KB
Flimsy, circle buttons, uses contact with the tablet so doesn't require charging.

Brydge
Solid. Regular buttons. Smaller, Bluetooth to connect.

I prefer the Brydge. But it's on at Amazon for $99. Could buy both if you want.
Sep 2, 2009
993 posts
698 upvotes
Ottawa
Impulsively pulled the trigger on the 16GB+Pen at Bestbuy (have Amazon credit I would use for the keyboard); unlikely to keep it because of the price but worth considering for me at the moment (trying to find a good tablet/2-in-1-detachable option with pen, but am looking sub-500).
Penalty Box
May 15, 2016
6142 posts
2072 upvotes
Any chance that the other models will go on sale?