Hot Deals

[Google.com] Two free months of Stadia Pro Subscription; includes instant access to 9 free games

• Last Updated:
  • May 12th, 2020 12:00 pm
[OP]
Dec 29, 2012
25 posts
156 upvotes
London

[Google.com] Two free months of Stadia Pro Subscription; includes instant access to 9 free games

Deal Link:
Expiry:
May 31, 2020
Retailer:
Google.com
More offers from Google.com
The base version of Stadia has released for free to everyone with a Gmail account starting today, and Google is giving every new user two months of the Pro Subscription for free. See deal link for more details.

If you are already a paying Pro Subscriber, your subscription should automatically update to state your next payment is due 3 months from the date of your last payment (so essentially 2 months free is added to your subscription).

EDIT: This is rolling out over next 48 hours as stated in the article - thanks to DavidC363 for clarifying. So may need to wait a bit to gain access.
Last edited by Helixium on Apr 8th, 2020 12:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
155 replies
Mar 19, 2015
321 posts
464 upvotes
Surrey, BC
Am I just dumb or can I not sign up at the moment without an invitation code?
Feb 5, 2015
219 posts
259 upvotes
Toronto
Nypheral wrote: Am I just dumb or can I not sign up at the moment without an invitation code?
This is starting today and rolling out over the next 48 hours.

my account didnt have it, so i guess i will have to wait.
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2006
3077 posts
407 upvotes
So this can be played through a phone, that I pair with a controller, and cast to my TV that has Chromecast built in? Or am I way off?
Last edited by mc_molineux on Apr 8th, 2020 12:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Apr 24, 2012
494 posts
594 upvotes
Vancouver
The two free months of Stadia Pro will give users access to the following games, as of April:

Destiny 2: The Collection
GRID
Gylt
SteamWorld Dig 2
SteamWorld Quest: Hand of Gilgamech
Serious Sam Collection
Spitlings
Stacks on Stacks (on Stacks)
Thumper
Jan 26, 2013
36 posts
49 upvotes
Finally. I've had promising results a few years ago with cloud gaming with Parsec and GeForce Now, but I did notice some minor hitchiness and pixelly graphics at faster paced scenes. Enough to be a little annoying, but not horrifyingly bad. I hope Google's infrastructure is even better. I wanted to try it before, but I didn't want to buy that controller and get a Chromecast Ultra.

Now time to play the waiting game for the code. I have high hopes, but do realize what an enormous task this is to get right. At least the cost of entry is free now.

Edit: Now I read that you still need a Stadia Controller (to play on TV), and phone support is limited to a few popular devices, kind of a bummer.
Last edited by dmonking75 on Apr 8th, 2020 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Dec 29, 2012
25 posts
156 upvotes
London
mc_molineux wrote: So this can be played through a phone, that I pair with a controller, and cast to my TV? Or am I way off?
https://support.google.com/stadia/answe ... 1?hl=en-CA

If you have one of the listed phones and controllers, then yes I think you could technically run the games on your phone with a controller connected, and then cast your phone to your TV with a chromecast. May not be the best way to experience Stadia because I can't comment on what kind of input lag this indirect way of playing would cause.
Dec 5, 2017
126 posts
97 upvotes
Calgary
mc_molineux wrote: So this can be played through a phone, that I pair with a controller, and cast to my TV that has Chromecast built in? Or am I way off?
There are a few ways you can play.
If you want to play on the TV, you will need a ChromeCast ultra, and a stadia controller.

If you want to play on your phone, you will need a supported phone, a supported controller (doesn't need to be a stadia controller), a USB chord to connect controller to phone.

If you want to play on your computer, you can do it with mouse/keyboard, or hookup a supported controller to your computer.
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2006
3077 posts
407 upvotes
Helixium wrote: https://support.google.com/stadia/answe ... 1?hl=en-CA

If you have one of the listed phones and controllers, then yes I think you could technically run the games on your phone with a controller connected, and then cast your phone to your TV with a chromecast. May not be the best way to experience Stadia because I can't comment on what kind of input lag this indirect way of playing would cause.
I do have a listed phone and a listed controller, so maybe I'll give it a try.

Thanks!
Jun 20, 2018
52 posts
22 upvotes
This is great - I was actually chatting with Stadia support on Twitter as I had let my buddy pass lapse; I hadn't realized that it only had a 3 month period to be activated. They had told me that something was in the works as part of the various Covid initiatives.

Anyway, the Stadia is super underrated. I used to play PC games (MOHAA, COD1-4, Battlefield (all of them), etc) and never got into system gaming. Now that I am an adult, I don't have time to play tonnes nor do I want to spend a bunch of money on games when they come out. Stadia gives me the option to play when I want to play without ever having to worry about my system not being of the latest and greatest specs. I grab the controller and it just works.
Feb 2, 2013
432 posts
353 upvotes
Salmon Arm, BC
While $12 a month to play these games is a terrible deal, everyone should at least give Thumper a try while it's free. Preferably with good audio. Game is intense!

-e- and don't forget to turn off auto renew in your subscription options!
[OP]
Dec 29, 2012
25 posts
156 upvotes
London
barrensky wrote: While $12 a month to play these games is a terrible deal, everyone should at least give Thumper a try while it's free. Preferably with good audio. Game is intense!

-e- and don't forget to turn off auto renew in your subscription options!
There will be at least two additional free games available to claim each month (on top of these 9 that you will already have claimed this month) as long as you're subscribed each month. It's not just these 9 games forever.
Oct 29, 2010
143 posts
176 upvotes
Quebec
All Steamworld games are great, too bad Heist isnt in this trial.