Careers

Google Data Analytics Professional Certificate - Is it worth doing?

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 10th, 2021 1:13 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 14, 2018
1084 posts
1242 upvotes

Google Data Analytics Professional Certificate - Is it worth doing?

Has anyone here done the Google Data Analytics Professional Certificate and if you have, what did you think of it? I'm considering doing this on Coursera and just wondering about the job prospects for someone with this certificate. Will this certificate help me get interviews for data analyst positions? It's a pretty new program (came out this year), but has gotten a lot of good reviews. I could probably finish the program by the end of the year, so would end up costing me about $200 on Coursera, which seems reasonable to get me feet wet in Data Analytics.

Anyone with any insight on this program?
8 replies
Feb 19, 2017
676 posts
412 upvotes
MarinersFanatik wrote: Has anyone here done the Google Data Analytics Professional Certificate and if you have, what did you think of it? I'm considering doing this on Coursera and just wondering about the job prospects for someone with this certificate. Will this certificate help me get interviews for data analyst positions? It's a pretty new program (came out this year), but has gotten a lot of good reviews. I could probably finish the program by the end of the year, so would end up costing me about $200 on Coursera, which seems reasonable to get me feet wet in Data Analytics.

Anyone with any insight on this program?
I've sent some people through it to convert them to data analyst positions (from something unrelated). It's pretty good.

It'll definitely equip you to an entry level position, but it'll depend on you whether it ultimately gets you interviews/jobs. It's certainly not the same as a degree so you have to work much harder to get interviews (network, apply tons, have a good resume, show additional projects on Github, etc.).
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 14, 2018
1084 posts
1242 upvotes
Walch1102 wrote: I've sent some people through it to convert them to data analyst positions (from something unrelated). It's pretty good.

It'll definitely equip you to an entry level position, but it'll depend on you whether it ultimately gets you interviews/jobs. It's certainly not the same as a degree so you have to work much harder to get interviews (network, apply tons, have a good resume, show additional projects on Github, etc.).
Thanks for the insight. I'm not sure I'll end up doing anything with it if I go through with doing the certificate, but for what it'll cost, I don't mind giving it a shot and see where it leads me.

Will employers recognize this certificate when they're looking through resumes? On the website, it says that a lot of employers do recognize the certificate, but I wonder if this just applies to US companies and not necessarily Canadian companies.
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
12656 posts
9260 upvotes
Edmonton
MarinersFanatik wrote: Thanks for the insight. I'm not sure I'll end up doing anything with it if I go through with doing the certificate, but for what it'll cost, I don't mind giving it a shot and see where it leads me.

Will employers recognize this certificate when they're looking through resumes? On the website, it says that a lot of employers do recognize the certificate, but I wonder if this just applies to US companies and not necessarily Canadian companies.
Put it this way... It will probably open more doors for you than if you don't have it. But it's not the same as having a few years of experience or a more formal course. So get a portfolio of your work as you go through the training, and see what happens.

C
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 14, 2018
1084 posts
1242 upvotes
CNeufeld wrote: Put it this way... It will probably open more doors for you than if you don't have it. But it's not the same as having a few years of experience or a more formal course. So get a portfolio of your work as you go through the training, and see what happens.

C
Would it be a good idea to find some online resources to do some pre-reading before I enroll into the course and have to start paying money? Most likely, I wouldn't be starting it until October, so between now and then, I figure I should read up on the very basics so I don't have to spend a lot of time trying to learn the material (and more money) when I'm enrolled.
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
12656 posts
9260 upvotes
Edmonton
MarinersFanatik wrote: Would it be a good idea to find some online resources to do some pre-reading before I enroll into the course and have to start paying money? Most likely, I wouldn't be starting it until October, so between now and then, I figure I should read up on the very basics so I don't have to spend a lot of time trying to learn the material (and more money) when I'm enrolled.
I would look into whatever tools they'll be teaching you, like Python or R or SQL, and start playing with those.

C
May 27, 2007
189 posts
17 upvotes
ON
As someone that has and does hire in this field, yes it would be beneficial. I would certainly pay closer attention to any resume that has this, especially if it was self-driven. GA isn't difficult and could be learned within a few months.

It's a unique area within analytics and intersects well with technology, data analytics / science, and business (digital). High demand and if you are good at coding, for tag management, it's a solid skillset to have.
Feb 19, 2017
676 posts
412 upvotes
hozer wrote: As someone that has and does hire in this field, yes it would be beneficial. I would certainly pay closer attention to any resume that has this, especially if it was self-driven. GA isn't difficult and could be learned within a few months.

It's a unique area within analytics and intersects well with technology, data analytics / science, and business (digital). High demand and if you are good at coding, for tag management, it's a solid skillset to have.
This certificate has nothing to do with Google Analytics lol
May 27, 2007
189 posts
17 upvotes
ON
Walch1102 wrote: This certificate has nothing to do with Google Analytics lol
My miss, you're right. In that case, I'd value it less as it is just general data analytics certificate so less applicable and frankly shouldn't take that long to complete.