• Last Updated:
  • Dec 28th, 2020 4:49 pm
15 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 14, 2012
3444 posts
2672 upvotes
Montreal, QC
sheyenne wrote: This is the first place I think of in posting this sad news: https://www.theverge.com/2020/11/11/215 ... 5gb-ending

We have until June 2021 or buy a Pixel.
Sad to hear that it is going since I was using it to store all my "high quality" pictures and keeping the original RAW images on multiple DVDs. First losing Google Cloud print at the end of next month and now this.
Deal Addict
Sep 14, 2012
3444 posts
2672 upvotes
Montreal, QC
I just received the notification email from Google Photos regarding this change
Hi,
We launched Google Photos more than five years ago and since then, it's become more than just an app to manage your photos. It's become a place you go when you feel nostalgic and want to reminisce. Today, Google Photos is the home for more than 4 trillion photos and videos, including yours, and a remarkable 28 billion new photos and videos are uploaded every week. In order to welcome even more of your memories and build Google Photos for the future, we are announcing a change to our storage policy.
Starting June 1, 2021, all new photos and videos backed up in High quality will count toward the free 15 GB of storage that comes with your Google Account or any additional storage you may have purchased, the same way other Google services like Google Drive and Gmail already do.
All photos and videos you back up in High quality before June 1, 2021 are exempt from this change and will not count toward your Google Account storage. This includes all of your existing content uploaded in High quality.
We don't take this decision lightly and we acknowledge that this is a big shift, so wanted to let you know well in advance and give you resources to help you navigate this change.
Do I need to do anything right away?
No, you can continue to use Google Photos to back up your photos and videos. After June 1, 2021 we will reach out and send you reminders when you are nearing your storage limit. Most users will have years before they need to take action.
When will I reach my free 15 GB of storage?
We created a personalized estimate that shows how much time you have until you reach your quota. This estimate takes into account how frequently you back up photos, videos and other content to your Google Account.
What can I do to manage my storage?
On June 1, 2021, we will be launching a new storage management tool which will help you easily find and delete dark, blurry, and otherwise unwanted content. You can also purchase more storage with Google One where available.
We are grateful that you choose Google Photos to safely store your memories. This change enables us to keep up with the growing demand for photo storage and remain focused on building Google Photos for the future. To learn more about this change, check out our Help Center article or Blog Post.
Thank you,
Your Google Photos Team
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2010
2985 posts
3186 upvotes
Ottawa
I'm not surprised, but certainly not happy about it.
Nov 28, 2019
850 posts
380 upvotes
SoroSuub1 wrote: anyone going to just pay for google one?
Nope, I will just disable uploading my google photos, I only been using it as it was free and I have onedrive through buying 365 subscription. One drive seems to be overall better priced for paid plans, if you need more than 1TB of space then onedrive does not seem to be an option anymore.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 13, 2009
5244 posts
3536 upvotes
SoroSuub1 wrote: anyone going to just pay for google one?
I had 2 years free it with my Chromebook purchase, didn't pay attention and when it was ending I paid for 1 year for $39. I just bought a new Chromebook and it came only with one year free so I'll be good for now.

I already started to build a little home NAS but it wont have the same functionality as Google Photos, I love the search feature, easy to share and nothing to worry about as it backs up to the cloud.

There's speculation that Google could go in the way of Apple One, which IMHO they should have done a while ago...I would pay Google if it bundled everything i use already plus more.
Deal Expert
Sep 1, 2005
21703 posts
17379 upvotes
Markham
Wouldn't be surprised there are other "players" who try and get ppl to migrate to them....that and I'm sure there will be more writeups on how to remove your pics from Google Photos.

They should just run ads or something and let ppl keep using it for free. Maybe that's to come.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Fanatic
Jul 13, 2009
5244 posts
3536 upvotes
gr8dlr wrote: Wouldn't be surprised there are other "players" who try and get ppl to migrate to them....that and I'm sure there will be more writeups on how to remove your pics from Google Photos.

They should just run ads or something and let ppl keep using it for free. Maybe that's to come.
Google Takeout. I did it last year just to have my own on-site backup of photos, it was a lot of gigs....

It's fairly easy but time consuming.
Deal Expert
Nov 15, 2004
21786 posts
4903 upvotes
Toronto
gr8dlr wrote: Wouldn't be surprised there are other "players" who try and get ppl to migrate to them....that and I'm sure there will be more writeups on how to remove your pics from Google Photos.

This was probably the most successful information-gathering program in history, so there will be plenty of other players interested in getting you to send them your pictures for free so they can develop their algorithms.
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2004
4664 posts
1242 upvotes
Toronto
I only ever used Google Photos as a online gallery (to share photos with friends and family) but am thinking to move my galleries to a roll-your-own solution (on a VPS) -- anyone have a recommendation?
Deal Addict
May 23, 2017
4196 posts
3204 upvotes
toronto
anyone have any suggestions on cloud storage? I have about 2-3tb so far of photos/videos that I need to backup.
Got that FIDO account!
Dec 27, 2017
318 posts
278 upvotes
riseagainstthemachine wrote: anyone have any suggestions on cloud storage? I have about 2-3tb so far of photos/videos that I need to backup.
If you have Amazon Prime subscription then you will get unlimited photo storage. You can store raw files and store all in original resolution. Videos are not included in this so you will need to buy one.

For other cloud storage options, check out IDrive that often ends up at top in cloud storage reviews (https://www.idrive.com/pricing). If you have an university email (you don't need to be a registered student, an alumni email would do) then you will get a flat out 50 % discount (https://www.idrive.com/online-backup-education). IDrive pricing are in USD and their servers are located in the US (if that is something you care about).

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)