• Last Updated:
  • Jul 15th, 2020 5:17 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Dec 10, 2017
10 posts
Toronto, ON

Google Fi

Was considering switching to Google Fi and was wondering if anyone here has done it and was it worth the hoops you have to jump through to get it to work in Canada.
9 replies
Deal Fanatic
Nov 14, 2003
5483 posts
3884 upvotes
LaLaLand
There's a few RFD members that use Google Fi. Maybe ask in the Roaming Sim card for travelers sticky thread as some may get notifications of responses.

I think they may limit the amount of time you can roam outside of the US and risk cancellation.

What's your goal with Google Fi?
[OP]
Dec 10, 2017
10 posts
Toronto, ON
My goal is ideally to have a lot of data for as little price as possible. My understanding is that travelling with it would be cheaper than most roaming plans as well.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 14, 2003
5483 posts
3884 upvotes
LaLaLand
At US$20 per month plus $10/GB it is not a bargain. Given the convenience, it's an okay price but you can get cheaper be using two or more SIM cards that roam.

If it's US/Canada/Mexico, T-Mobile has $10/2GB, $25/6GB and up. I have a plan from Asia that is similar but roams in more countries. I'm basically roaming all the time. Use this with a VOIP number and you will be connected everywhere.

There are similar plans like this for the rest of the world. Check out the first post in the Roaming Sims for travellers thread.
Deal Addict
Apr 17, 2014
1108 posts
509 upvotes
Corunna, ON
The Walmart ATT plan is better. Check in the sub of hot deals called Ongoing deals.

It's $40 US for 25 gigs and works in Canada. But if you join a group you can get it for $35 to $40 CAD.

I run a group of 10 of us for over a year now.
Mar 4, 2016
20 posts
26 upvotes
batcave wrote: Given the convenience, it's an okay price but you can get cheaper be using two or more SIM cards that roam.
This ^

I have Fi and love it for the convenience. I don't use it at home in Canada. I'm not a huge data user and not a super-frequent traveler (4 - 6 trips per year, usually 1 week/trip to the USA and others). However, I like the eSim functionality and the ability to pause the account when not in use.

That said, I love having a Mexican SIM when I'm there; last time I got one for my wife and we used both.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 14, 2003
5483 posts
3884 upvotes
LaLaLand
yyc123 wrote: This ^

I have Fi and love it for the convenience. I don't use it at home in Canada. I'm not a huge data user and not a super-frequent traveler (4 - 6 trips per year, usually 1 week/trip to the USA and others). However, I like the eSim functionality and the ability to pause the account when not in use.

That said, I love having a Mexican SIM when I'm there; last time I got one for my wife and we used both.
Do you pause the Google Fi account on hold after you return to Canada? Are you paying the monthly fee each time to go on a trip? If you only go away for a few days or a week, can it be charged for a shorter amount of time than one month?
Mar 4, 2016
20 posts
26 upvotes
batcave wrote: Do you pause the Google Fi account on hold after you return to Canada? Are you paying the monthly fee each time to go on a trip? If you only go away for a few days or a week, can it be charged for a shorter amount of time than one month?
Yes, I pause the Fi account whenever I come back to Canada. I only pay a fraction of the monthly fee each time I take a trip, e.g. on a previous trip the invoice specified "9 days 2 hours of service."

The service has to be re-activated at least once every 90 days, so there's a small charge for 1 hour of service each time. There also used to be a limitation that that service could only be paused once per month; however, I'm not certain if this still applies.
Deal Addict
Mar 13, 2012
1737 posts
1166 upvotes
Near You
I've paused and restarted the plan many times in the same month when I've taken short trips for business, Google Fi worked flawlessly.

Data was great even in remote parts of China, and since all data is routed through the US, no need for VPN to get around the Great Firewall.

There are mixed reports of Google shutting your intl data off if you continuously roam on the plan for years at a time, but if you head to the states every few months to ping off one of their towers, you should be good.
• AMEX Platinum • Aeroplan Reserve • Cobalt • Bonvoy
• MC HSBC Premier WE• NBC WE • BRIM
• TD • HSBC Premier • Tangerine • Fido 25GB/35$ • Google Fi • Free.fr
Aeroplan SE • DL Gold • Marriott Titanium • Hyatt Globalist •
Earn/burn, Fly the world
Mar 7, 2008
721 posts
192 upvotes
Leask
mistytalon wrote: I've paused and restarted the plan many times in the same month when I've taken short trips for business, Google Fi worked flawlessly.

Data was great even in remote parts of China, and since all data is routed through the US, no need for VPN to get around the Great Firewall.

There are mixed reports of Google shutting your intl data off if you continuously roam on the plan for years at a time, but if you head to the states every few months to ping off one of their towers, you should be good.
This is great feedback!

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)