Google Home - $39.99 Multiple Retailers - CONTINUES

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 16th, 2020 2:15 pm
Deal Fanatic
Mar 1, 2002
8002 posts
4262 upvotes
Toronto
syntex101 wrote: How much better is this vs. Google home mini? I already have that in my room and really enjoy using it. But this one will be in the den. And most of my family speaks Chinese. But I don't believe they have added Chinese support yet.
It's exactly the same functionality but with much better sound and more sensitive mics than home mini.

Good comparison here: https://www.androidcentral.com/google-h ... -home-mini
Feb 10, 2004
885 posts
72 upvotes
Toronto
Innovac wrote: Indigo has it instock. I placed an order just now. You can get $5 cashback on $40 or above with stack card.
What did you use for the filler?
May 6, 2020
58 posts
26 upvotes
killer_chan wrote: What did you use for the filler?
Actually I ordered 2 of them. I was having 3 indigo gift cards from Ugo wallet backup your cards promo. Total it came down to $61.89. Waiting for $5 cashback from stack. I have contacted them they said the payment is still pending and will add $5 to my account once the payment is posted.
Btw the pickup is on 19th may.
Last edited by Innovac on May 17th, 2020 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
May 6, 2020
58 posts
26 upvotes
Innovac wrote: Actually I ordered 2 of them. I was having 3 indigo gift cards from Ugo wallet backup your cards promo. Total I came down to $61.89. Waiting for $5 cashback from stack. I have contacted them they said the payment is still pending and will add $5 to my account once the payment is posted.
Btw the pickup is on 19th may.
Going to gift one for my friend on her house warming.
Sep 6, 2015
19 posts
30 upvotes
Toronto, ON
syntex101 wrote: How much better is this vs. Google home mini? I already have that in my room and really enjoy using it. But this one will be in the den. And most of my family speaks Chinese. But I don't believe they have added Chinese support yet.
It does have Chinese support. You can setup language in Chinese (Taiwan) in google home App’s setting, then you can talk to google home in Chinese
Apr 28, 2012
198 posts
204 upvotes
MONTREAL
Just got a pair at costco and they're amazing when paired up, not as much when solo, but they still blow the minis out of the water.
For 37$ and Costco warranty, I doubt anyone could find such a well built smart speaker. My small living room now has a nest hub, 2 homes, 2 minis and pairing them blasting music is absolutely incredible. I'll probably order a few more for my other rooms upgrading my minis, can't go wrong at this price.
Oct 1, 2016
43 posts
25 upvotes
This would have been a very hard choice had Google reduced the price last year at the same time as Amazon's echo line of 2nd generation products they liquidated for the coming 3rd generation. I would get one or two but now I already have 9 Amazon Echo products running smoothly. It's a great deal if you don't have any smart home products and want to introduce them into your home.
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2007
4965 posts
4550 upvotes
SudburyMan wrote: What version of ecobee do you have? I have the ecobee 3 lite, and I ask Google what the inside humidity is (it displays on the ecobee) but my google home doesn't retrieve that info. Like you said it is probably an ecobee issue not releasing that info. Curious to know if it works for you.
I also have the ecobee 3 lite, never actually thought to ask for humidity since I have a separate humidity sensor in my livgin room.

That said, when asking by voice to one of my minis it worked fine. Also tried on my phone with the same result:

Screenshot_2020-05-17-15-46-25.png

Not sure what the 'I can't reach ecobee right now' is on about, since it worked fine, oh well.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2016
1129 posts
1864 upvotes
Toronto
slammergu wrote: It does have Chinese support. You can setup language in Chinese (Taiwan) in google home App’s setting, then you can talk to google home in Chinese
I think Chinese isn't supported by Google Home. Newer generation supports Chinese, but not Google Home.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 1, 2002
8002 posts
4262 upvotes
Toronto
toyfountain500 wrote: This would have been a very hard choice had Google reduced the price last year at the same time as Amazon's echo line of 2nd generation products they liquidated for the coming 3rd generation. I would get one or two but now I already have 9 Amazon Echo products running smoothly. It's a great deal if you don't have any smart home products and want to introduce them into your home.
Yup all depends on what ecosystem you're in, not interested in echo because I have 5 Google devices already, as well as Sonos which goes either way.

Don't think you're doing yourself any favours if you try and mix Google and Alexa devices.
Oct 19, 2016
191 posts
62 upvotes
repatch wrote: I also have the ecobee 3 lite, never actually thought to ask for humidity since I have a separate humidity sensor in my livgin room.

That said, when asking by voice to one of my minis it worked fine. Also tried on my phone with the same result:

Screenshot_2020-05-17-15-46-25.png

Not sure what the 'I can't reach ecobee right now' is on about, since it worked fine, oh well.
I appreciate your response. That is so weird it works for you and not me despite what sounds like an identical setup. I said the exact same command line as you on both my phone (using the app and my regular pixel 3 assistant) and Google home nest hub and neither show the humidity. They only show the temperature (which I am able to control via voice commands).

I am confused why it isn't working for me. (it isn't a big deal or anything, just wondering why it doesn't display).
Images
  • Screenshot_20200517-160745.png
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2007
4965 posts
4550 upvotes
SudburyMan wrote: I appreciate your response. That is so weird it works for you and not me despite what sounds like an identical setup. I said the exact same command line as you on both my phone (using the app and my regular pixel 3 assistant) and Google home nest hub and neither show the humidity. They only show the temperature (which I am able to control via voice commands).

I am confused why it isn't working for me. (it isn't a big deal or anything, just wondering why it doesn't display).
Not sure.

Obvious things to check:

Are you up to latest firmware?

Are you using the exact name of your thermostat?

In my case, my thermostat is called "My Ecobee", and I find it best if I refer to it directly, instead of the room it's in (which doesn't work for me since I have a separate temp/humidity sensor in the living room).

Screenshot_2020-05-17-17-29-23.png

Actually, investigating further: I have my thermostat linked into Google Home twice, once directly through ecobee, and once through SmartThings. That might explain the 'can't connect to Ecobee message.

Perhaps the ecobee link isn't working right or something? Not sure.

I find with SmartHome stuff you often get things working without knowing exactly HOW you got it working, and then you're reticent to changing anything in case it breaks... :)
Oct 19, 2016
191 posts
62 upvotes
repatch wrote: Not sure.

Obvious things to check:

Are you up to latest firmware?

Are you using the exact name of your thermostat?

In my case, my thermostat is called "My Ecobee", and I find it best if I refer to it directly, instead of the room it's in (which doesn't work for me since I have a separate temp/humidity sensor in the living room).

Screenshot_2020-05-17-17-29-23.png

Actually, investigating further: I have my thermostat linked into Google Home twice, once directly through ecobee, and once through SmartThings. That might explain the 'can't connect to Ecobee message.

Perhaps the ecobee link isn't working right or something? Not sure.

I find with SmartHome stuff you often get things working without knowing exactly HOW you got it working, and then you're reticent to changing anything in case it breaks... :)
Very interesting. I have the same version of firmware. I do not have it linked via SmartThings so perhaps that's the reason? Is that a separate app?

It is connected to Google Home and is named "My Ecobee" as well.
Images
  • MVIMG_20200517_182820.jpg
  • Screenshot_20200517-183028.png