Expired Hot Deals

Google Home - $39.99 Multiple Retailers - CONTINUES

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 16th, 2020 2:15 pm
Jul 29, 2016
112 posts
28 upvotes
Darn I should've got it from indigo while it was still in stock. Missed out on the $5 cashback with STACK.
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2011
1757 posts
1236 upvotes
GVRD
repatch wrote: I might have a dud with my v2. While the sounds is 'bassier', I don't really find it better. It's voice detection/recognition isn't noticeably better than the v1. The top button works on the v2, but I'm so used to it not working on the v1 I never grew to use it anyways.

Most problematic: it can't seem to hold it's wifi connection. At least once a day I try to issue a command on it and it says 'don't have wifi, please wait for reconnect'. The v1 that sat in the EXACT same spot, connected to the same AP, never had that problem. It routinely drops audio casts after 10-15 minutes. Honestly, it's become near useless.

Worst of all, they made the power adapter bigger by around 2mm, and as a result it doesn't fit in the mounts that I have for the v1. WHY they made it bigger by such a small amount makes NO sense to me.

Perhaps unfair, but I'm not a fan of the v2. Gladly I got it for free, so no loss there.
I too have had wi-fi issues with my Google Home Mini V2 Nests. This was noted in tech support boards and was supposed to have been fixed awhile back with a firmware update. I think it's still problematic as it disconnects and reconnects. They obviously messed with the antennae or something with the newer version. Wi-fi was definitely more stable with V1 Minis. I'm still hoping for a better firmware in the future, but that won't help if it's more hardware related.

It's like my GH devices are competing with my router's attention or something. I wonder if our problem has more to do with how our router/wi-fi is setup to keep communications going with the GH products. It's as though the GH device that first connects to the wi-fi is that one that keeps the connection, in my case, after I reboot the network. Strangely, for me, my GH device that is furthest away from my router antennae keeps the connection the longest.

UPDATE: My problem could be that some of my GH devices connected at 5 GHz with a narrow pipe 20Mhz band while other GH devices were connecting in a 5Ghz wider pipe 80Mhz band with 80Mhz being too wide and catching interference?? I dropped the second 5Ghz to 20Mhz like the other. We'll see if that helps.
Last edited by RxMills on May 20th, 2020 4:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sep 7, 2006
838 posts
506 upvotes
I have like 5 google minis, 2 mini, 3 nest mini... don't think I'll need this but I'm going to do a DIY hack and install these pods into bookshelf speakers. Albeit they only pump 4 watts.. I'd have to look for efficient 4 ohm speakers
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2017
6142 posts
2633 upvotes
The minis are so energy efficient. Doesnt even measure 1 watt when plugged in and being used.
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2011
1757 posts
1236 upvotes
GVRD
badOne wrote: The minis are so energy efficient. Doesnt even measure 1 watt when plugged in and being used.
If that's the case, why did they go to a non-USB plug on the V2 mini?
If the draw is that low, couldn't the V1 Mini just connect with its microUSB plug to a USB powerbank battery for outdoor use?
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2007
4968 posts
4555 upvotes
RxMills wrote: If that's the case, why did they go to a non-USB plug on the V2 mini?
If the draw is that low, couldn't the V1 Mini just connect with its microUSB plug to a USB powerbank battery for outdoor use?
microusb ports are horrible for reliability, I much prefer the barrel jack.

That said, I've powered a mini by powerbank for many hours, works great.
Apr 7, 2020
64 posts
154 upvotes
After seeing this thread for a few days I finally caved and bought one. My only other speaker is a Echo Dot right now. Maybe I'll like Google better.
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2011
1757 posts
1236 upvotes
GVRD
jcamldn wrote: After seeing this thread for a few days I finally caved and bought one. My only other speaker is a Echo Dot right now. Maybe I'll like Google better.
Which place?
Jul 10, 2019
39 posts
54 upvotes
Received an update that best buy processed my order (3 day wait). Hopefully I’ll get them soon!
Mar 19, 2008
461 posts
351 upvotes
I ordered online yesterday afternoon for pick up at the local Home Depot and picked it up this afternoon. I got home to discover it was a returned unit. So back to the store to exchange it for a new one (they still had 5 in stock). So the lesson is check your box before leaving the store if you're doing a pick up.
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2011
1757 posts
1236 upvotes
GVRD
Is this sold-out everywhere now?
Jan 4, 2013
512 posts
172 upvotes
Well guess I should have checked out when I had the chance. Hopefully minis go on sale soon.
Oct 2, 2019
20 posts
9 upvotes
restoreDVD wrote: My order from Staples on May 18 got cancelled due to lack of stock
I ordered this afternoon and just got an email said item shipped.
Maybe try another time if u didn't go somewhere else to buy.
Jul 21, 2007
672 posts
244 upvotes
Winnipeg
I see it in stock at Indigo

edit: and Lowe's