Expired Hot Deals

Google Home - $39.99 Multiple Retailers - CONTINUES

  • Last Updated:
  • Jun 6th, 2020 1:44 pm
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2011
1599 posts
1014 upvotes
GVRD
silverjelly wrote: I see it in stock at Indigo

edit: and Lowe's
Lowes doesn't allow you to checkout. It gives a couple of error messages related to stock.

So Indigo and perhaps Staples are the remaining stores then... for others who still want to order.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Mar 1, 2002
7857 posts
4087 upvotes
Toronto
RxMills wrote: If that's the case, why did they go to a non-USB plug on the V2 mini?
If the draw is that low, couldn't the V1 Mini just connect with its microUSB plug to a USB powerbank battery for outdoor use?
That's an advantage of V1, but when off wifi and considering its tinny speaker, a portable BT speaker is usually better for the job. From what I read Nest mini went with a 14V barrel plug to increase the sound output.
Member
Jan 22, 2007
345 posts
166 upvotes
RxMills wrote: If that's the case, why did they go to a non-USB plug on the V2 mini?
If the draw is that low, couldn't the V1 Mini just connect with its microUSB plug to a USB powerbank battery for outdoor use?
If the rumours are true the next gen mid-next speaker will finally be a wireless one with a charging dock coming in October 2020, hopefully with improved sound/mics
Jr. Member
Oct 19, 2016
187 posts
60 upvotes
I bought 2 from Lowes 8 days ago, still no word on it being shipped. I assume they will cancel my order...despite buying this within hours of it going on sale. Has anyone bought it from Lowes and received the product? or at least received a shipping email?

So yesterday I ended up buying a from Staples, and I got a shipping confirmation email that same day.
Newbie
Mar 7, 2011
20 posts
9 upvotes
SudburyMan wrote: I bought 2 from Lowes 8 days ago, still no word on it being shipped. I assume they will cancel my order...despite buying this within hours of it going on sale. Has anyone bought it from Lowes and received the product? or at least received a shipping email?

So yesterday I ended up buying a from Staples, and I got a shipping confirmation email that same day.
Lowes is notorious for not sending out the shipping information. I would guess it has long shipped and will just show up in the next week. I have had this happen many times.
Member
May 11, 2012
204 posts
88 upvotes
SudburyMan wrote: I bought 2 from Lowes 8 days ago, still no word on it being shipped. I assume they will cancel my order...despite buying this within hours of it going on sale. Has anyone bought it from Lowes and received the product? or at least received a shipping email?

So yesterday I ended up buying a from Staples, and I got a shipping confirmation email that same day.
My most recent lowes order took about 10 days to become ready for pick-up so I think they may just be really back-logged?
Member
Jun 10, 2017
493 posts
681 upvotes
SudburyMan wrote: I bought 2 from Lowes 8 days ago, still no word on it being shipped. I assume they will cancel my order...despite buying this within hours of it going on sale. Has anyone bought it from Lowes and received the product? or at least received a shipping email?

So yesterday I ended up buying a from Staples, and I got a shipping confirmation email that same day.
I bought from Lowe's on Saturday (16th) and it was shipped on Tuesday (19th).
I got Canada Post tracking number.
Sr. Member
User avatar
Feb 10, 2004
885 posts
72 upvotes
Toronto
SudburyMan wrote: I bought 2 from Lowes 8 days ago, still no word on it being shipped. I assume they will cancel my order...despite buying this within hours of it going on sale. Has anyone bought it from Lowes and received the product? or at least received a shipping email?

So yesterday I ended up buying a from Staples, and I got a shipping confirmation email that same day.
Same here, crickets from Lowes.
Member
May 7, 2003
210 posts
36 upvotes
Bought from Walmart on Saturday, received on Wednesday.

I am surprised to admit it, but for listening to talk radio (like the news), the mini is easier to understand the regular home. Not sure why. The regular home definitely has a fuller sound for music, but I primarily use it for a good morning report while I'm preparing breakfast...
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2007
4751 posts
4364 upvotes
whodachump wrote: Bought from Walmart on Saturday, received on Wednesday.

I am surprised to admit it, but for listening to talk radio (like the news), the mini is easier to understand the regular home. Not sure why. The regular home definitely has a fuller sound for music, but I primarily use it for a good morning report while I'm preparing breakfast...
The be frank, the default eq on the home is a disaster. It's like their only focus was bass and everything else was left by the wayside.

If you listen to bass filled music it sounds rather good. For everything else, it's just wrong sounding. For voice this is especially true.

You can try adjusting the eq, but the physical design of the home lends itself to bass response, so you can adjust, but you can't adjust enough
Member
Jun 10, 2017
493 posts
681 upvotes
repatch wrote: The be frank, the default eq on the home is a disaster. It's like their only focus was bass and everything else was left by the wayside.

If you listen to bass filled music it sounds rather good. For everything else, it's just wrong sounding. For voice this is especially true.

You can try adjusting the eq, but the physical design of the home lends itself to bass response, so you can adjust, but you can't adjust enough
Thanks. This worries me, as I got 2 minis and I got 2 homes thinking it'll be a significant sound upgrade, otherwise I actually did not need it.
Guess I'll wait for it to arrive and try it out myself. My intent is to do a stereo pair with the 2 homes.
Deal Addict
May 1, 2018
1261 posts
784 upvotes
Vancouver
For someone whose never owned any voice smart home devices (Echo, Google Home, etc), how useful is it and would this be better than the Mini?
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2007
4751 posts
4364 upvotes
GenericMember wrote: Thanks. This worries me, as I got 2 minis and I got 2 homes thinking it'll be a significant sound upgrade, otherwise I actually did not need it.
Guess I'll wait for it to arrive and try it out myself. My intent is to do a stereo pair with the 2 homes.
You could always return them?
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2007
1404 posts
262 upvotes
Alivenate wrote: For someone whose never owned any voice smart home devices (Echo, Google Home, etc), how useful is it and would this be better than the Mini?
It depends . Everyone is different.
You can ask for the weather in the morning before leaving for work.
Can ask it do calculation on the fly
Can ask it quickly to look up information like who is the current prime minister and his age
You can buy smart plugs to control devices.
Can use it to find your phone
Can make outgoing calls for free to USA/Canada
Can tell stories to kids
You can play games with it also
The home is better than mini for it's bass
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2011
1599 posts
1014 upvotes
GVRD
This is a great deal but I'm going to hold out for a deal on more Minis down the road.

Mini - huge convenience for being able to hang on the wall, doesn't take up any real estate
- treble range better for talk/voices
- so easy to move around
- the new Mini V2 mics are incredibly sensitive (it hears me 30-40 feet away)

Full GH - better for bass lows, if that's your style of music (for me, I'll use a full sound system for that rather than a smart speaker)

I'd rather have a home with 4-6 minis spread out for coverage that go unnoticed with being on the walls.

If it's your first GH device, this $39 deal is great and this is the time to buy GH products (on a great deal).

Top

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (2 members and 0 guests)

neatooo, Cerebros