Google Home - $39.99 Multiple Retailers - CONTINUES

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 16th, 2020 2:15 pm
Deal Fanatic
Apr 15, 2009
5277 posts
3185 upvotes
M-Arkham
jtkv wrote: Home Depot has a terrible online order system..

I ordered May 19, and no pickup notices yet..
They charged my CC on May 24..
I called the store today... they say the stuff is still not picked, online orders are 2 weeks backlogged, and the system says none in stock.
The order will eventually be cancelled...
Basically wasted my time and now lost the chance to buy the items I wanted.

I will never use their online system again...
Check your local walmart, a lot of them still got stock, at least most of the walmart near me in Markham anyway
2x Zoomer $36 for 5GB , 800min Can wide talk n unlimited txt
1x Fido $40 for 5GB w/ unlimited Can Wide txt/talk small plan(+3GB bonus )
Deal Fanatic
Mar 5, 2007
5575 posts
5204 upvotes
RxMills wrote: Lowes, etc., all have the same problem. It's crazy that online order systems still can't manage a real-time inventory. There are so many companies that still insist on taking the order first, then dealing with their real inventory later.
They CAN manage a real time inventory.

The problem is the inventory isn't real time.

We're dealing with warehouses (stores) where pesky walk in customers can walk away with an item and either steal it, or not put it back in it's place. So automatically the inventory isn't real time since the stores are no set up to deal with that.

And then there is the fact that if the inventory system says there's stock when you order, that might not be the case when the picker goes to pick up the item, since, obviously, those pesky walk in customers might have got it first.

When you're buying an electrical box where they have 1000 on the shelf, that isn't a problem.

When you're buying a super discounted piece of discontinued tech, that's exactly the problem.

Sorry, but you should have gone to the store, or buy from a store that doesn't have this issue.
Mar 6, 2005
641 posts
166 upvotes
IS there a way to add Apple Music to these google home devices?
Dec 3, 2011
129 posts
16 upvotes
Ajax
Brewmeanie wrote: Check your local walmart, a lot of them still got stock, at least most of the walmart near me in Markham anyway
Which location please? (address)
Apr 22, 2020
151 posts
164 upvotes
Alberta
tpirovol wrote: IS there a way to add Apple Music to these google home devices?
I tried to figure out how to do this aswell but unfortunately it looks like Apple Music is not supported as a music service. You can still play Apple Music through the Google home speakers via Bluetooth just like any other BT speaker. I'm hoping they add this feature in the future.
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2011
1918 posts
1542 upvotes
GVRD
You've made some great excuses for the stores. Perhaps you work for one of them. It's 2020 and stores do have the ability to immediately update a centralized inventory system.

Lastly, I was able to get one online without a problem, so you don't have to consider me a disgruntled customer. Nice try though.
repatch wrote: They CAN manage a real time inventory.

The problem is the inventory isn't real time.

We're dealing with warehouses (stores) where pesky walk in customers can walk away with an item and either steal it, or not put it back in it's place. So automatically the inventory isn't real time since the stores are no set up to deal with that.

And then there is the fact that if the inventory system says there's stock when you order, that might not be the case when the picker goes to pick up the item, since, obviously, those pesky walk in customers might have got it first.

When you're buying an electrical box where they have 1000 on the shelf, that isn't a problem.

When you're buying a super discounted piece of discontinued tech, that's exactly the problem.

Sorry, but you should have gone to the store, or buy from a store that doesn't have this issue.
Jul 13, 2013
837 posts
572 upvotes
tpirovol wrote: IS there a way to add Apple Music to these google home devices?
No, only solution is using Bluetooth and asking Siri to play different songs through the phone.
Jan 15, 2004
379 posts
23 upvotes
Calgary
I went Shawnessey Walmart in Calgary and bought 2 last night. I then cancelled my online Best Buy order as nothing had updated since I made the order last week.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 5, 2007
5575 posts
5204 upvotes
RxMills wrote: You've made some great excuses for the stores. Perhaps you work for one of them. It's 2020 and stores do have the ability to immediately update a centralized inventory system.

Lastly, I was able to get one online without a problem, so you don't have to consider me a disgruntled customer. Nice try though.
Tell me: how do you update a centralized inventory system when somebody picks up a Google Home device and walks out the door with the item under their jacket?

Or someone picks up a device and leaves it in a shower stall on the other side of the store?

Or how do you build a time machine that accounts for when you order the Google Home was on the shelf, but 4 days later, when the picker checks that shelf the item is gone??

Please tell us. I guarantee you'll be a billionaire if you solve this problem perfectly

And no, I don't work for any retail store, I'm just a person who understands how hard inventory is to keep correct, and someone who once was on the CS side and dealt with unreasonable customers daily.
Last edited by repatch on May 27th, 2020 12:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 1, 2002
8622 posts
4990 upvotes
Toronto
repatch wrote: If the music you listen to has alot of bass the difference is there.

If the music you listen to doesn't have alot of bass then the difference is far less obvious. Sure there's a difference, but which one is 'better' is VERY debatable.

The minis, given their size, produce 'enough' bass for my listening habits. I don't need or want house shaking bass.
Understood, might be better to pick up a second mini on the cheap for stereo pair. Regardless of music type the stereo separation will be a significant improvement.
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2011
1918 posts
1542 upvotes
GVRD
repatch wrote: Tell me: how do you update a centralized inventory system when somebody picks up a Google Home device and walks out the door with the item under their jacket?
Or someone picks up a device and leaves it in a shower stall on the other side of the store?
Or how do you build a time machine that accounts for when you order the Google Home was on the shelf, but 4 days later, when the picker checks that shelf the item is gone??
Please tell us. I guarantee you'll be a billionaire if you solve this problem perfectly
And no, I don't work for any retail store, I'm just a person who understands how hard inventory is to keep correct, and someone who once was on the CS side and dealt with unreasonable customers daily.
Ummm, most stores keep these expensive electronics locked up so there goes all those excuses.
Lowes.ca is still allowing you to order online but I'm pretty sure you're not going to get one from them now.
Last edited by RxMills on May 27th, 2020 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 5, 2007
5575 posts
5204 upvotes
RxMills wrote: Ummm, most stores keep these expensive electronics locked up so there goes all those excuses.
Lowes is still allowing you to order online but I'm pretty sure you're not going to get one.
My local HD doesn't keep these locked up, they were in the middle of a aisle in a pile. Many stores in my area don't lock these kinds of things away.
Last edited by repatch on May 27th, 2020 12:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Oct 21, 2019
28 posts
31 upvotes
RxMills wrote: Ummm, most stores keep these expensive electronics locked up so there goes all those excuses.
Lowes is still allowing you to order online but I'm pretty sure you're not going to get one.
Yup exactly..
Deal Addict
May 17, 2004
1095 posts
365 upvotes
Markham
Angultra wrote: Understood, might be better to pick up a second mini on the cheap for stereo pair. Regardless of music type the stereo separation will be a significant improvement.
Unfortunately, you can only pair two of the same device. Two minis, two homes, but not one mini and one home.
https://support.google.com/googlenest/a ... 3?hl=en-CA
Pairing gives much better sound than just two devices separately outputting mono.
Jul 29, 2016
170 posts
62 upvotes
Indigo cancelled my order from the 21ST. RIP.