• Dec 12th, 2020 11:05 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2018
4596 posts
4656 upvotes
Vancouver

Google Home finally gets delayed commands

You can now add a delay or time to the end of verbal commands, such as "Hey Google, turn off the light in 15 minutes". You can even use sunrise and sunset.

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/google-home ... -to-do-it/

But don't get too excited. I tried it with my Christmas lights controlled by a TP-Link switch.

"Hey Google, turn on Christmas lights at sunset"... "Sorry, 'Christmas Lights' is not in a home, so I can't do that"

Ok. It is in a home, but not in a specific room, so I move it to "Garage".

"Hey Google, turn on Christmas lights at sunset"... "Sorry, for safety reasons I can't schedule actions for devices identified as socket switches"

Uh-huh. Every manufacturer of smart switches allows their operation to be scheduled. Google has more lawyers than are good for it!
13 replies
Jan 9, 2003
458 posts
275 upvotes
Ajax
Try setting up a room called Christmas Lights and put anything you want in there. I can say turn on the Christmas Lights and it turns on the 4 Globe devices I have in that room.
Last edited by hurricane on Dec 11th, 2020 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Jun 16, 2009
3491 posts
3699 upvotes
GTA
Just tried this now, it turned on and off my Globe bulbs after a 10 second delay. Nice.
c'mon get happy!
Sep 7, 2015
31 posts
16 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Try changing device type from switch to light in the Home app. I have an electric fireplace that I control with a smart outlet (switch) and it works if I set it as light for device type.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2018
4596 posts
4656 upvotes
Vancouver
hurricane wrote: Try setting up a room called Christmas Lights and put anything you want in there. I can say turn on the Christmas Lights and it turns on the 4 Globe devices I have in that room.
Interesting idea, but I tried it and it didn't work. It still rejects turning on outlet switches with a delay, even if they are in a room group.
Jan 9, 2003
458 posts
275 upvotes
Ajax
In Home, I have three Globe Outlets and one Globe Light (Switch) assigned to a Room called Christmas Lights. I have them on a schedule in the Globe app so that they come on at sunset. I've linked them to Home so that they show up there and I can use the voice command to turn them on and off. Are yours defined to Home differently?
Scote64 wrote: Interesting idea, but I tried it and it didn't work. It still rejects turning on outlet switches with a delay, even if they are in a room group.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2018
4596 posts
4656 upvotes
Vancouver
hurricane wrote: In Home, I have three Globe Outlets and one Globe Light (Switch) assigned to a Room called Christmas Lights. I have them on a schedule in the Globe app so that they come on at sunset. I've linked them to Home so that they show up there and I can use the voice command to turn them on and off. Are yours defined to Home differently?
Those things all work fine. Now try "Hey Google, turn on Christmas Lights in 5 minutes". If the room contains a plug switch, you'll get a refusal to schedule an operation for that device.
Deal Addict
Sep 24, 2007
1975 posts
570 upvotes
Tired it with plugs have same issue no delay on/off but with smart bulbs it works.. guess they don't want to get sued for fire issues..
Jan 9, 2003
458 posts
275 upvotes
Ajax
Ok I see it's the delay command you're talking about sorry about that. I tried it and it will schedule the switch but it states right away that it won't do the outlets for safety reasons.
Scote64 wrote: Those things all work fine. Now try "Hey Google, turn on Christmas Lights in 5 minutes". If the room contains a plug switch, you'll get a refusal to schedule an operation for that device.
Deal Addict
Jun 16, 2009
3491 posts
3699 upvotes
GTA
Same issue with the delay command not working with the CE Smart plug switches I bought at Costco. That sucks because I like to leave devices charging for 3 hours, so I will have to still turn it off using the app's timer.
c'mon get happy!
Sep 7, 2015
31 posts
16 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Scote64 wrote: Interesting idea, but I tried it and it didn't work. It still rejects turning on outlet switches with a delay, even if they are in a room group.
Weird, It worked for me after I changed the device type to light. I say, for example, "hey google, turn on fireplace in 5 minutes" and it replies something like "OK will turn on fireplace at 7:45".

Also, I noticed that when I tried the command right after switching the type it told me that it was not setup yet. Tried again later, it worked. Synching delay I guess.

The version of the home app on my phone is currently 2.32.1.5 if it makes a difference.
Mar 7, 2006
194 posts
5 upvotes
Toronto
This is a great feature added and my devices work well with it.
Deal Addict
Jun 16, 2009
3491 posts
3699 upvotes
GTA
db9514022 wrote: Weird, It worked for me after I changed the device type to light. I say, for example, "hey google, turn on fireplace in 5 minutes" and it replies something like "OK will turn on fireplace at 7:45".

Also, I noticed that when I tried the command right after switching the type it told me that it was not setup yet. Tried again later, it worked. Synching delay I guess.

The version of the home app on my phone is currently 2.32.1.5 if it makes a difference.
Which brand and type of devices were you able to turn into light and then it worked? Maybe it has to do with brand.
c'mon get happy!
Sep 7, 2015
31 posts
16 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
One of them is a CE Smart smart outlet I got from costco. Changed the device type from outlet to light

The other one is a Sonoff smart switch module (eWeLink) I wired into a cheap extension cord. Changed device type from switch to light.