Computers & Electronics

Google Just Gave 2 Billion Chrome Users A Reason To Switch To Firefox

  • Last Updated:
  • Jun 1st, 2019 10:28 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jun 8, 2003
8253 posts
664 upvotes
Scarborough

Google Just Gave 2 Billion Chrome Users A Reason To Switch To Firefox

I'm glad to have my Pi-Hole and Firefox is still my choice.
Google is planning to restrict modern ad blocking Chrome extensions to enterprise users only, according to 9to5Google. This is despite a backlash to an announcement by Google in January proposing changes that will stop current ad blockers from working efficiently........................................................................
https://www.forbes.com/sites/kateoflahe ... 81cdb751f6
Thread Summary
Alternatives:
For Android -- Brave Browser
For Desktop PC -- Mozilla Firefox

Android or Desktop — Opera
36 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2009
2993 posts
2919 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Hopefully Firefox learned their lesson that users have no loyalty. I remember loving FF before it went to shit.

If Google actually does this to Chrome i won't hesitate ditching them, but "planning" and "doing" are separate things...
Deal Addict
User avatar
Dec 29, 2008
3545 posts
881 upvotes
Dunno if I'll go back to FF but definitely won't be using Chrome.

Hopefully chromium based Brave or Edge won't have these restrictions, but time will tell. If all else fails then I'm going back to Netscape.
Deal Addict
Jan 29, 2017
2625 posts
1752 upvotes
Been slowly transitioning to FF, this will make it much quicker.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Feb 10, 2007
12235 posts
3386 upvotes
try to switch back to firefox last year, but it sucks

-memory management sucks
-always need to add exception on a self-sign SSL
-chrome extension is much better than firefox's

don't use any adblocking other than my pihole, so doesn't bother me
[self promotion rule violation, removed twice already][self promotion rule violation, removed twice already]Trolling or Threadcrapping Trolling - woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jun 8, 2003
8253 posts
664 upvotes
Scarborough
I have since disabled Chrome from all my Android devices. I don't need it in IOS
Deal Fanatic
Aug 5, 2006
5818 posts
2815 upvotes
Global Village
Is there an easy way to become a chrome enterprise user?
All day I dream about sports
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Mar 17, 2006
6834 posts
5738 upvotes
North York
Menace wrote: I have since disabled Chrome from all my Android devices. I don't need it in IOS
Wait, there are add-ons/extensions on chrome for Android devices?
What are you talking about
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jun 8, 2003
8253 posts
664 upvotes
Scarborough
konsensei wrote:
Wait, there are add-ons/extensions on chrome for Android devices?
What are you talking about
I wasn't born yesterday, I just don't want the crap!

Edited: P-Hole can not filter out ads have same ip address as the server, such as Youtube.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Mar 17, 2006
6834 posts
5738 upvotes
North York
Menace wrote: I wasn't born yesterday, I just don't want the crap!
1. Drafting a plan to disable ad block extensions and Disabling ad block extensions are not the same.
2. Even if they decide to remove all the ad block extensions, it does not change how your chrome browser currently works on Android.

This is like saying, Canada might go to war with China. But since you are living in Nuvanut, you need to move to Greenland.
Member
Apr 10, 2019
354 posts
589 upvotes
Ottawa
Honest question; what does Google have to lose if 2 billion people stop using Chrome? It's always been a free ad delivery medium (the user is the product), now some users don't want to be the product so you're spending resources catering to millions who are not lucrative to your company.

Unless I'm missing something? I mean I'm a Chrome user with adblocking extensions and I'll switch away from Chrome to not see ads..but it makes total business sense from their standpoint and those using their product as intended remain unaffected by this.
Last edited by GrumpyOne1 on May 31st, 2019 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Mar 17, 2006
6834 posts
5738 upvotes
North York
Menace wrote: I wasn't born yesterday, I just don't want the crap!

Edited: P-Hole can not filter out ads have same ip address as the server, such as Youtube.
Exactly why I don't understand you even mentioned pihole in your original post
Menace wrote: I'm glad to have my Pi-Hole and Firefox is still my choice.



https://www.forbes.com/sites/kateoflahe ... 81cdb751f6
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jun 8, 2003
8253 posts
664 upvotes
Scarborough
konsensei wrote: Exactly why I don't understand you even mentioned pihole in your original post
That's ok if you don't understand it, my post isn't only for your entertainment.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jun 8, 2003
8253 posts
664 upvotes
Scarborough
The web developers can put the ads on the same server (or ip address), programs like PHole can't filter them out, Firefox extension can. In the Android world, you can use other browsers other already mentioned. I did have Firefox Focus, I will try to test the other ones like Brave and DuckDuckGO.
GrumpyOne1 wrote: Unless I'm missing something? I mean I'm a Chrome user with adblocking extensions and I'll switch away from Chrome to not see ads..but it makes total business sense from their standpoint and those using their product as intended remain unaffected by this.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
33338 posts
7026 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
I have been using Opera for the last several years

I will never go back to FireFox and I hate Chrome. I still use it on my Pixel, but I have no problem switching out to Opera on mobile. I just don’t use my mobile browser enough to invest the time right now
Deal Expert
User avatar
Nov 7, 2003
20030 posts
715 upvotes
Shanghai, China
Ecsta wrote: Hopefully Firefox learned their lesson that users have no loyalty. I remember loving FF before it went to shit.

If Google actually does this to Chrome i won't hesitate ditching them, but "planning" and "doing" are separate things...
I agree with you. FF used to be good. Then Chrome kind of just took over and I jumped ship. This is just bad news. I don't understand why Google wants to do something so stupid.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Aug 6, 2001
15043 posts
2972 upvotes
Stuck in a Box
Gee wrote: I have been using Opera for the last several years

I will never go back to FireFox and I hate Chrome. I still use it on my Pixel, but I have no problem switching out to Opera on mobile. I just don’t use my mobile browser enough to invest the time right now
Also try Vivaldi

Top