Hot Deals

[Amazon.ca] Google mesh wifi, 3 hubs $234 ALL TIME LOW

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 14th, 2021 1:52 pm
Nov 22, 2009
356 posts
205 upvotes
CanadaDealSeeker wrote: what modes does it offer? can you use it in a repeater mode where you connect it to existing router over WIFI and use it to create its own mesh wifi?
Unfortunately it does not offer repeater mode to connect to your existing wifi. You need to connect one node to your modem, then set it up as a wifi access point and then place the other node based on the app's recommendation to place it in an optimal location. So far I'm extremely pleased with the performance given that its a tri-band router which uses the 5.8 Ghz band as the wireless backhaul.
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2009
1246 posts
387 upvotes
ccylyl wrote: Based on my knowledge, I think you are right.

Like eero pro 6, they advitised 1G speed only can be achieved by hard wired backhaul, it’s not possible through wireless connection. If you are happy with wireless speed, it’s fine, if your internet is over 200MBs and you want full speed, you have to hard wire them
Thanks for your reply which satisfied my curiosity.

I have a 75MBs cable internet and have no plan to do Mesh in the near future. My current setting is Modem -- 1 router -- 1 extender. I leave the modem's Gateway on so it provides hardwired connections to 2 PCs. It's working fine and I am content... until I am not, LOL.
If my sanity has to go, it is my job to keep its absence to myself. :D
Apr 14, 2017
45 posts
87 upvotes
I use this at home and love it. Even configured it to work with pi-hole to block ads with no problems.
Deal Guru
Jan 12, 2017
13242 posts
3624 upvotes
Scarberia
AncasterRFD wrote: From my understanding, it is ultimately the device that decides to let go of an AP, the AP can only nudge it.

Decided to check out AiMesh 2.0 on the AX86U released last week. So now it lets you bind devices to particular AP's, especially stationary devices that for whatever reason may decide to roam and stick to a weaker AP.

For mobile devices, you can lower the Roaming assistant threshold to try to nudge a device to let go sooner say when you go to another floor's AP (this was available before 2.0)

I don't think pucks like eero and google/nest hubs allow this type of granular control.
Does it say aimesh 2.0 on Ur interface anywhere? Tia how do u know it's 2.0foe sure
*SIG: Ryzen R5 2600 cpu w/ ASrock B450M OCd to 4.0ghz@1.265v stock cooler 16gb ram win10 pro w/radeon rx460 rogers Gigabit<< xb1 gamertag: mikka2017 >>
Deal Guru
Jun 15, 2012
13599 posts
7321 upvotes
Southern Ontario
mikka2017 wrote: Does it say aimesh 2.0 on Ur interface anywhere? Tia how do u know it's 2.0foe sure
No “2.0” title in the UI, only from the changelog based on the firmware number and that the binding options I’ve shown in the 1st pic weren’t available before. I’ve cropped out my device list and MAC ID’s on the right of the pic which allow individual binding.
Jul 6, 2017
147 posts
78 upvotes
Ontario
Strongly considering purchasing this. I have a 1425 sq ft townhome and for whatever reason, the wifi blows in the kitchen. It's not THAT far from the router upstairs but I guess far enough. The only hardwired computer in the house is my desktop, which is sitting right below the modem/router anyway.

I have Rogers Ignite 500 and as I understand it, I shouldn't expect these speeds throughout the house. I'm fine with that, as long as I can have reliable wifi in all areas of the house with decent speeds...that's fine. Is that a reasonable expectation for this system?
Dec 7, 2008
659 posts
125 upvotes
gfhyde wrote: Strongly considering purchasing this. I have a 1425 sq ft townhome and for whatever reason, the wifi blows in the kitchen. It's not THAT far from the router upstairs but I guess far enough. The only hardwired computer in the house is my desktop, which is sitting right below the modem/router anyway.

I have Rogers Ignite 500 and as I understand it, I shouldn't expect these speeds throughout the house. I'm fine with that, as long as I can have reliable wifi in all areas of the house with decent speeds...that's fine. Is that a reasonable expectation for this system?
Yes. I have a 2400SF bungalow. Router is on the far side of the house. I have a google mesh on the far side, in the middle, and on the far other side, and the wifi is perfect everywhere.
Jul 6, 2017
147 posts
78 upvotes
Ontario
CanuckFlyHigh wrote: Yes. I have a 2400SF bungalow. Router is on the far side of the house. I have a google mesh on the far side, in the middle, and on the far other side, and the wifi is perfect everywhere.
Thank you.
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2009
2852 posts
1414 upvotes
CanuckFlyHigh wrote: Yes. I have a 2400SF bungalow. Router is on the far side of the house. I have a google mesh on the far side, in the middle, and on the far other side, and the wifi is perfect everywhere.
I have the nest wifi (router + 2 points.) And it's one of my favourite purchases. Its best feature is: I didn't have to do anything special, the darn thing just works. It blankets my 2 story house with wifi. Setting up IoT devices (smart switches, plugs, dryers, etc.) is a breeze, not a single problem.

This is from a guy who's used Merlin for years then switched to Ubiquiti router and commercial APs.
The first rule of Fight Club is: you do not talk about Usenet
Jan 8, 2005
782 posts
121 upvotes
Windsor
My 3-way split home is 75 ft long. Currently, I have Netgear Nighthawk X6 (AC3200 Tri-band) in my basement office where my internet cable comes in. Internet is pretty spotty upstairs and in the garage on the other side of the house. For some reason recently I lost my 2.4 band needed for cameras and the Nest thermostat. After factory reset, the 2.4 radio came back on but lost one of the 5.4 bands. Bought AX86U on the recent sale. Haven't installed it yet but now wondering if Google Mesh would be better and cheaper solution. I don't do gaming, but kids do a lot of online streaming studying and teaching so need a strong WIFI coverage from one side of the house to another (or more than 75ft for outside garage camera). I have at least twenty devices connected to the network. I'll check the range for the AX86U but I wonder if I am wasting my money on such expensive router. Also, if I keep the AX86U but need wider reach how difficult it would be to connect Netgear as a repeater?
Deal Guru
Jun 15, 2012
13599 posts
7321 upvotes
Southern Ontario
xaveryptak wrote: My 3-way split home is 75 ft long. Currently, I have Netgear Nighthawk X6 (AC3200 Tri-band) in my basement office where my internet cable comes in. Internet is pretty spotty upstairs and in the garage on the other side of the house. For some reason recently I lost my 2.4 band needed for cameras and the Nest thermostat. After factory reset, the 2.4 radio came back on but lost one of the 5.4 bands. Bought AX86U on the recent sale. Haven't installed it yet but now wondering if Google Mesh would be better and cheaper solution. I don't do gaming, but kids do a lot of online streaming studying and teaching so need a strong WIFI coverage from one side of the house to another (or more than 75ft for outside garage camera). I have at least twenty devices connected to the network. I'll check the range for the AX86U but I wonder if I am wasting my money on such expensive router. Also, if I keep the AX86U but need wider reach how difficult it would be to connect Netgear as a repeater?
I'm assuming you can't or prefer not to wire and centralize your AX86U?
https://www.princessauto.com/en/50-ft-c ... 0008765836
Jan 7, 2021
9 posts
1 upvote
It's probably better to pay a little bit more to get Wifi 6 (AX) mesh such as Eero 6 or Tp-Link X20/X60. I would think Google will upgrade their next model to AX as well.
Jan 7, 2021
9 posts
1 upvote
Maybe two AX86U routers to make a mesh (certain review complained about 3 won't work, not sure). Pricy but it will be a beast. Tri-band won't lose any bandwidth in a mesh like dual-band. I would pick a cheaper 3-node AX mesh myself for better stability and coverage though. Current Google Wifi is AC not AX.
xaveryptak wrote: My 3-way split home is 75 ft long. Currently, I have Netgear Nighthawk X6 (AC3200 Tri-band) in my basement office where my internet cable comes in. Internet is pretty spotty upstairs and in the garage on the other side of the house. For some reason recently I lost my 2.4 band needed for cameras and the Nest thermostat. After factory reset, the 2.4 radio came back on but lost one of the 5.4 bands. Bought AX86U on the recent sale. Haven't installed it yet but now wondering if Google Mesh would be better and cheaper solution. I don't do gaming, but kids do a lot of online streaming studying and teaching so need a strong WIFI coverage from one side of the house to another (or more than 75ft for outside garage camera). I have at least twenty devices connected to the network. I'll check the range for the AX86U but I wonder if I am wasting my money on such expensive router. Also, if I keep the AX86U but need wider reach how difficult it would be to connect Netgear as a repeater?
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2009
2852 posts
1414 upvotes
SpaceOdyssey2001 wrote: It's probably better to pay a little bit more to get Wifi 6 (AX) mesh such as Eero 6 or Tp-Link X20/X60. I would think Google will upgrade their next model to AX as well.
I more I look at Wifi6, the more I think Google was smart to skip Wifi6. Wifi 6E is where 802.11ax can reach its full potential. No radar, no dfs, no legacy devices! four fat channels!
Dec 7, 2008
659 posts
125 upvotes
bogolisk wrote: I have the nest wifi (router + 2 points.) And it's one of my favourite purchases. Its best feature is: I didn't have to do anything special, the darn thing just works. It blankets my 2 story house with wifi. Setting up IoT devices (smart switches, plugs, dryers, etc.) is a breeze, not a single problem.

This is from a guy who's used Merlin for years then switched to Ubiquiti router and commercial APs.
Agreed. The one issue I have had is that sometimes a smart home item requires 2.4 ghz, and google home is 5 ghz. The tip here is to go through the Google Wifi Guest, which is always in 2.4 ghz when setting up IoT devices.
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2009
2852 posts
1414 upvotes
CanuckFlyHigh wrote: Agreed. The one issue I have had is that sometimes a smart home item requires 2.4 ghz, and google home is 5 ghz. The tip here is to go through the Google Wifi Guest, which is always in 2.4 ghz when setting up IoT devices.
I kinda agree and disagree with you. I always switched to the Guest Wifi before setting up any IoT devices. But when I checked on my phone before setting up the smart switch (or plug, etc.), the phone was on the Guest Wifi, but... 5GHz. However, I had no problem setting up those 2.4GHz iot devices.

My guess is Google bridges the 2 bands of Guest Wifi and the setup requirement is: the phone and the IoT device be in the same network (but not necessarily on the same band.)
Mar 21, 2016
188 posts
46 upvotes
Yvr
I will be using 2 out of 3
Anyone looking for 1?

I am in Vancouver
Deal Expert
Oct 9, 2003
17547 posts
632 upvotes
What is the solution that Amazon has made themselves? Is it Eero? Does it integrate with Alexa?
Deal Addict
Jun 20, 2020
2689 posts
2212 upvotes
Toronto
Super strokey wrote: What is the solution that Amazon has made themselves? Is it Eero? Does it integrate with Alexa?
Amazon acquired eero in the beginning of 2019 and it does integrate with Alexa

Amazon to Acquire eero to Help Customers Better Connect Smart Home Devices
February 11, 2019 at 4:50 PM EST

Amazon announced today that it has signed an agreement to acquire eero, a company that offers products and services for high-performing, reliable, and simple home WiFi

https://press.aboutamazon.com/news-rele ... smart-home

How do I use Amazon Alexa with my eero WiFi system?
https://support.eero.com/hc/en-us/artic ... Fi-system-

Control your WiFi network with the power of your voice using Amazon Alexa and the eero skillset. After installing an Alexa product (Echo, Dot, or Tap) on your eero network, you can ask Alexa to perform various tasks without needing to open the eero app on your phone.