Hot Deals

[Amazon.ca] Google mesh wifi, 3 hubs $234 ALL TIME LOW

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 14th, 2021 1:52 pm
Feb 19, 2013
74 posts
109 upvotes
Calgary
I have 3 telus boost wifi mesh routers right now... would there be any point in upgrading to these? My connection is 300/300.
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2005
2579 posts
607 upvotes
GTA
Here's my experience.
Rogers Gigabit internet white modem box is in the basement of a two storey 2500sqft home. One pod on each floor.
My office is on the top floor and I use and old X1 Carbon third generation. No ethernet port, pod is right beside my laptop.
Speeds went from 20-40mbps to 200-250mbps.
My Samsung S9 also went from 20mbps to about 100mbps on the top floor.

Happy enough as my work calls no longer lag. I'm going to buy a dock and see what speeds I can get with ethernet on the top floor pod.

Maybe one day I'll try Stadia... if life would give me some free time.
Damage due to RFD Since April 2013: $5758.00
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2012
2244 posts
1542 upvotes
Calgary
I have 4 of the Google Wifi pucks in my house (not the Nest ones). Work really well and I like the app. Been using Google Wifi for a couple years now - no regrets. I was originally using two pucks, but in the past while I’ve been able to pick up a couple more on Kijiji for $25 each.
Aug 12, 2004
652 posts
13 upvotes
GTA
Dammit fellas.. you got me to spend $270 that was wasn’t looking to spend. Thank you.

I have Rogers 350mbps and the big ugly tower router and I drop off work calls everyday. Looking forward to better signal!
Jul 30, 2012
59 posts
23 upvotes
COQUITLAM
This is a fabulous set. I replaced an old Apple AirPort Extreme and the coverage / speed / range difference with 3 routers setup throughout the house was night and day. It's been out for more than a year, but it's still great.
Mar 3, 2012
259 posts
138 upvotes
HAMILTON
Noob question.

I'm supposed to plug in one in the router and then the other two I set up wherever the app tells me where?
Feb 7, 2007
25 posts
5 upvotes
Calgary
I'm currently using Eero Mesh with it wired backhauling to my switch. https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07WGJ ... UTF8&psc=1

I'm finding the Eero to be quite lacking in terms of performance. I am on 100/10 internet but I can only get 200k sustained upload when using the Eero but if I go plugged in directly I get much closer to my actual speeds.

My question is, I have the opportunity to return my Eero system before Jan 31 (Thank you Amazon!), should I return them at get this google system?
Sep 21, 2004
10536 posts
4872 upvotes
Calgary
Igoran4s wrote: Noob question.

I'm supposed to plug in one in the router and then the other two I set up wherever the app tells me where?
It doesn't tell you where. You place the other two pucks wherever you like. In the app you can test how stable/strong the connection is.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 10, 2002
5879 posts
277 upvotes
Vancouver
Igoran4s wrote: Noob question.

i'd set them up eyesight of each other. once set up, move one puck to where you want it and test strength with app. Move if you have to.
Dec 4, 2017
216 posts
240 upvotes
Whitby
kellyahlers wrote: I'm currently using Eero Mesh with it wired backhauling to my switch. https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07WGJ ... UTF8&psc=1

I'm finding the Eero to be quite lacking in terms of performance. I am on 100/10 internet but I can only get 200k sustained upload when using the Eero but if I go plugged in directly I get much closer to my actual speeds.

My question is, I have the opportunity to return my Eero system before Jan 31 (Thank you Amazon!), should I return them at get this google system?
Have a similar problem. My phone is struggling to keep it connected to my wifi. Debating if I should return and take the google.
May 29, 2017
485 posts
214 upvotes
Canada
AncasterRFD wrote: I'm surprised it wouldn't, you can use Asus' recommendation, it's the same concept.
https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1039645/
Asus picture is a bit off.

I did the opposite of their recommendation.

I have my primary in the office upstairs connected to bridge mode modem, nothing on main floor, diagonally across the house, i have the node in the basement. I get 0 degradation of speed, pushing out my Full Rogers 300Mbps in all areas.

Both my units are facing an open area.

I am using the ZenWiFi with dedicated secondary 5GHz band.
Last edited by Samshares on Jan 11th, 2021 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
May 29, 2017
485 posts
214 upvotes
Canada
kellyahlers wrote: I'm currently using Eero Mesh with it wired backhauling to my switch. https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07WGJ ... UTF8&psc=1

Seems like you have some interference issues, if you are using wired backhaul, meaning your nodes aren't relying on split bandwidth between nodes to deliver the connection....
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2006
1233 posts
241 upvotes
Samshares wrote: Seems like you have some interference issues, if you are using wired backhaul, meaning your nodes aren't relying on split bandwidth between nodes to deliver the connection....
I had the eero 6 (non-pro) and the satellites *DO NOT* have a wired backhaul (which is TOTALLY STUPID). Suffice to say, I sent it back as I barely got speeds over 120Meg on my home gigabit network.
Only the router had quick speeds (450K). Was totally disappointed as I was looking forward to this. The one this guy has appears to be the 5 and have the wired backhaul. Dunno why he is not seeing great speeds.

Instead, I opted for a Netgear Nighthawk for $229 (think that was the price) which has a wired backhaul. Surprised how good this thing is (once I got it set up). Only 1 router + node and it does my long and narrow home fine.
Considering I got one of those homes that is really deep due to it being only 20 feet wide, this thing goes from the front of the house all the way to the back and get decent speeds.
2 boxes (router + node) covers the entire house, basement, 1st floor, and 2nd floor. Quite surprised how good it is.
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2011
1223 posts
953 upvotes
TORONTO
I'm using Asus RT-AC86U. Raw speed wise this is not as good as my Asus right? But better at coverage and setup freedom to my understand.
May 24, 2020
7 posts
77 upvotes
You could buy wall mount pack but please double check the shape of the power plug
Deal Addict
Apr 2, 2007
2007 posts
163 upvotes
do these things actually increasedownload speed??
my home Internet is 150mb... http download is like 10-12mb .... on WiFi..
any help?Smiling Face With Smiling Eyes
Chinese Food+MSG=Good Food :rolleyes:
Oct 3, 2006
346 posts
12 upvotes
Personally while I wouldn't replace an existing system currently due to not many devices supporting it yet I wouldn't spend more than 50$ on anything new that doesn't support wifi 6 at this time. And Google's stuff does not
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2005
2579 posts
607 upvotes
GTA
blues45 wrote: Here's my experience.
Rogers Gigabit internet white modem box is in the basement of a two storey 2500sqft home. One pod on each floor.
My office is on the top floor and I use and old X1 Carbon third generation. No ethernet port, pod is right beside my laptop.
Speeds went from 20-40mbps to 200-250mbps.
My Samsung S9 also went from 20mbps to about 100mbps on the top floor.

Happy enough as my work calls no longer lag. I'm going to buy a dock and see what speeds I can get with ethernet on the top floor pod.

Maybe one day I'll try Stadia... if life would give me some free time.
Update (not that anyone asked), I bought a Lenovo dock for ethernet for my aging X1, speeds are now at 300mbps, upload speed is throttled by Rogers to 32mbps.
Keep in mind, I am on the top floor with my router in the basement.
Damage due to RFD Since April 2013: $5758.00
Deal Fanatic
Dec 15, 2004
6446 posts
961 upvotes
chinese zzz wrote: do these things actually increasedownload speed??
my home Internet is 150mb... http download is like 10-12mb .... on WiFi..
any help?Smiling Face With Smiling Eyes
careful with the units,
M stands for mega, m stands for milli,
b stands for bit, B stands for byte.
1 byte = 8 bits

your ISP speed is in Mbps (Megabits per second)
your download speed shown on your OS is most likely in MB (Megabytes)

150Mbps is 18.75 MB/s
so you are not doing so bad with that speed on Wifi