Hot Deals

[Amazon.ca] Google mesh wifi, 3 hubs $234 ALL TIME LOW

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 14th, 2021 1:52 pm
Jun 24, 2013
160 posts
191 upvotes
These are a great buy!

I thought there's no way it's the new 2020 version at this price - I thought it would be the older Google Wi-Fi devices.

I have the Google Nest set up. In my 1960's 2 storey, I bought a 2 pack last spring because people were complaining. In the fall, I set up a small office in another room upstairs and the signal was poor with lots of drop outs. I knew I'd need a 3rd point to get that room good coverage, so I was on the look out for a sale on one of the points. I came across another 2 pack on here from Staples with a coupon that worked out to be a great deal and set both those points up. We now have rock solid Wi-Fi literally down the street from our house. It's overkill, but it works well. Before buying the extra points I tried moving the two points (one point and one router) around the house, but when I'd improve one side of the house or one floor of the house I'd wreck the Wi-Fi in another part of the house.

I probably could have sold one of the points and still had great coverage, but not hearing any complaints about Wi-Fi from the kids - especially when there are so many of us online for work and school meetings at the same time is worth keeping all 4 points.

I think when they state the square footage for each point, they are looking at a "modern" open concept home. Add in a few extra walls and you can use more points than you think you will need.
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2009
1349 posts
445 upvotes
Toronto
mf1982 wrote: These are a great buy!

I thought there's no way it's the new 2020 version at this price
How can one tell if it's 2020?
Oct 8, 2012
28 posts
5 upvotes
CALGARY
Sorry if this is not appropriate, anyone in calgary want to sell just the one point ? :|
Deal Fanatic
May 25, 2009
5470 posts
1745 upvotes
Toronto
Do you really need this when Bell and Rogers offers mesh wifi pods?
Deal Fanatic
May 25, 2009
5470 posts
1745 upvotes
Toronto
mf1982 wrote: These are a great buy!

I thought there's no way it's the new 2020 version at this price - I thought it would be the older Google Wi-Fi devices.

I have the Google Nest set up. In my 1960's 2 storey, I bought a 2 pack last spring because people were complaining. In the fall, I set up a small office in another room upstairs and the signal was poor with lots of drop outs. I knew I'd need a 3rd point to get that room good coverage, so I was on the look out for a sale on one of the points. I came across another 2 pack on here from Staples with a coupon that worked out to be a great deal and set both those points up. We now have rock solid Wi-Fi literally down the street from our house. It's overkill, but it works well. Before buying the extra points I tried moving the two points (one point and one router) around the house, but when I'd improve one side of the house or one floor of the house I'd wreck the Wi-Fi in another part of the house.

I probably could have sold one of the points and still had great coverage, but not hearing any complaints about Wi-Fi from the kids - especially when there are so many of us online for work and school meetings at the same time is worth keeping all 4 points.

I think when they state the square footage for each point, they are looking at a "modern" open concept home. Add in a few extra walls and you can use more points than you think you will need.
How much did you pay each time?
Deal Fanatic
May 25, 2009
5470 posts
1745 upvotes
Toronto
jarfgames wrote: I have 4 of the Google Wifi pucks in my house (not the Nest ones). Work really well and I like the app. Been using Google Wifi for a couple years now - no regrets. I was originally using two pucks, but in the past while I’ve been able to pick up a couple more on Kijiji for $25 each.
Wait you bought the ones in this post for $25 each?
Deal Fanatic
May 25, 2009
5470 posts
1745 upvotes
Toronto
Can someone clarify... Am i correct:

1. There are Google Mesh pucks (old)
2. There are Google Mesh pucks (new, 2020, basically the same thing as the old one) <-- this is what is on sale in this thread for $234?
3. There is Nest Mesh (new, 2020, much better) Goes for like $400?

So what's on sale in this thread is the Google branded 2020 version of the old pucks, but NOT the better Nest branded 2020 mesh system?
Sep 21, 2004
10537 posts
4872 upvotes
Calgary
fightbriz wrote: Can someone clarify... Am i correct:

2. There are Google Mesh pucks (new, 2020, basically the same thing as the old one) <-- this is what is on sale in this thread for $234?

So what's on sale in this thread is the Google branded 2020 version of the old pucks, but NOT the better Nest branded 2020 mesh system?
Yes.
Dec 20, 2014
16 posts
3 upvotes
Wpg
fightbriz wrote: Can someone clarify... Am i correct:

#2. This is what's on the box, Google WiFi, manufactured 11/2020.
Images
  • IMG_20210112_154449727.jpg
Dec 27, 2010
261 posts
91 upvotes
61three wrote: #2. This is what's on the box, Google WiFi, manufactured 11/2020.
Wait, they manufactured something in November and it's already out of date?
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2012
2244 posts
1542 upvotes
Calgary
fightbriz wrote: Wait you bought the ones in this post for $25 each?
Well the first two that I own I bought on sale a couple years ago for a lot more. But yes, I recently bought two of the Google Wifi pucks (not the Nest ones) for $25 each on Kijiji.
Jun 14, 2008
477 posts
404 upvotes
Bubbahee wrote: $257 is a good price on these in my opinion

Yes I know there are tp link routers for 19.99 so I'm hesitant about posting this and watching the down votes flood in

***** Price now 234 currently
How these compare to orbi rbk50 ? Does anyone has experience with both??
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2009
1349 posts
445 upvotes
Toronto
Mine just arrived today and I set it up. I have the main puck connected to my white Rogers modem. The other 2 are elsewhere around the house. I'm not getting the same kind of speeds as I was when using the Deco M5 (all the 3 pucks are in the exact same place as when I had the Deco M5). Anything I should try? Should I put the modem into bridge mode? We do not play online games at home.....
Deal Addict
Oct 8, 2009
1865 posts
1129 upvotes
Kitchener
michiebaby wrote: Mine just arrived today and I set it up. I have the main puck connected to my white Rogers modem. The other 2 are elsewhere around the house. I'm not getting the same kind of speeds as I was when using the Deco M5 (all the 3 pucks are in the exact same place as when I had the Deco M5). Anything I should try? Should I put the modem into bridge mode? We do not play online games at home.....
Yes your modem should be in bridge mode, then the Google or any router for that matter becomes the "brains" of the network.
Aug 12, 2004
652 posts
13 upvotes
GTA
Bought this an installed it yesterday.. I have the crappy white tower from Rogers and 350mbps. After installing the three pucks across the house in the main areas I was having issues (eg. office on second floor getting 26mbps) i only got to about 60-70mbps. Coverages is better as there are no more dead zones in my house but is it normal not to get closer to the plan speed? Fearing I did so,thing wrong during setup which was fairly easy...
Mar 7, 2011
103 posts
91 upvotes
Toronto
i_spotdeals wrote: Bought this an installed it yesterday.. I have the crappy white tower from Rogers and 350mbps. After installing the three pucks across the house in the main areas I was having issues (eg. office on second floor getting 26mbps) i only got to about 60-70mbps. Coverages is better as there are no more dead zones in my house but is it normal not to get closer to the plan speed? Fearing I did so,thing wrong during setup which was fairly easy...
It may or may not boast speed but yes point of mesh is no more deadspots, also if you reposition all 3 underneath each other on different floors you may see speed boost as they are more in line and less distant from each other
Deal Addict
Apr 17, 2014
1246 posts
627 upvotes
Montreal QC
This is the best router I have ever used and this is coming from someone who has gone through the majority of router brand in the $200-400 range over the years. While all other brands either had some sort of technical issue down the road, the Google Mesh WIFI system has been the most reliable and fastest system out there over the 1.5 years of ownership. I will never buy anything else. I paid almost $400 with tax for mine when I got it, so $234 is a steal.
Mar 7, 2011
103 posts
91 upvotes
Toronto
Yes the old version was refreshed in 2020 old look new internals better but same specs new board new chips, and power adapter is no longer USB c but instead a avarge power adapter connector , similar to the ones on the nest mini. Mines were also made in Aug 2020. Old and new they are inter changeable to add on to the network , bought them as backup units
Aug 12, 2004
652 posts
13 upvotes
GTA
Pkosta wrote: It may or may not boast speed but yes point of mesh is no more deadspots, also if you reposition all 3 underneath each other on different floors you may see speed boost as they are more in line and less distant from each other
Got it, thank you Person With Folded Hands