Expired Hot Deals

[Amazon.ca] Google Nest Thermostat - Smart Programmable WiFi Thermostat - Snow $134.63 (28% off)

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 20th, 2021 12:20 pm
[OP]
Jan 18, 2007
111 posts
62 upvotes
Calgary

[Amazon.ca] Google Nest Thermostat - Smart Programmable WiFi Thermostat - Snow $134.63 (28% off)

Style: Programmable Wifi Thermostat - Snow (white)
- regular price $185.99
- other styles are similar regular price (sand, charcoal)

Note this is not the top-of-the-line Nest Learning Thermostat, 3rd Generation, also on sale at $269.99 (18% off)
Thread Summary
Not sure what to look for? Check out RFD Reviews' top picks for the best smart thermostats!
39 replies
Nov 5, 2014
308 posts
256 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Does this qualify for an enbridge rebate in Ontario? I can't find anything confirming that it does
Deal Addict
May 23, 2006
1639 posts
222 upvotes
thx OP had $125 from the amazon business promo and now I can finally spend it haha :)
Zoomer wireless $36/month: 5GB data + 800 minutes
Aug 4, 2019
195 posts
50 upvotes
ONTARIO
This is not nearly as good as nest 3g but price is cheap.
Deal Addict
Jun 28, 2017
2032 posts
1529 upvotes
Isn’t the 3rd gen like years old now? I bought one in 2017
Jun 19, 2011
33 posts
272 upvotes
Anyone able to help me decide whether to get these or Mysa for my baseboard heaters? They seem to be the same.price now.
Apr 6, 2007
478 posts
127 upvotes
Kelowna
It was about $125 last week after the bonus redemption at SDM
Deal Fanatic
Sep 29, 2005
6075 posts
1332 upvotes
Montreal
vashby wrote: Anyone able to help me decide whether to get these or Mysa for my baseboard heaters? They seem to be the same price now.
I don't think these will work with baseboard heaters. However, if you go to the Nest site there's a compatibility check that you can do there. I installed Mysa. The install is much simpler and like them a lot.
Phils
Jun 19, 2011
33 posts
272 upvotes
Phils wrote: I don't think these will work with baseboard heaters. However, if you go to the Nest site there's a compatibility check that you can do there. I installed Mysa. The install is much simpler and like them a lot.

Thanks for this. I will check it out.
Deal Addict
May 12, 2010
2180 posts
605 upvotes
Vaughan
Where does this draw its power from and is there a battery backup?

I am looking for a smart thermostat for a place in Florida that doesn't have a furnace but the AC needs to run year round.
Aug 23, 2020
66 posts
43 upvotes
I would strongly discourage any google thermostat. I bought the nest in December, had it professionally installed and it destroyed my furnace in 10 days. Huge, costly mistake. There is enough information out there regarding the google and thermostats. Proceed with caution.
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2016
1464 posts
1662 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
Yeah I turned the learning features off on my Nest. Otherwise it would turn the furnace on ever hour for 5 min. I just put in a schedule.
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2016
1464 posts
1662 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
d_source wrote: Where does this draw its power from and is there a battery backup?

I am looking for a smart thermostat for a place in Florida that doesn't have a furnace but the AC needs to run year round.
It does have a battery backup, but it's for like if you don't have a 24 volt as it'll slowly charge off the other wires. Not meant to be ran solo.
The Biggest of the Big has arrived!
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2020
1442 posts
965 upvotes
most got the 3rd gen for under $140 with tax last time with just 1 of the 2 discounts. Far better looking than this one and actually has a chrome dial making it very elegant to look at.

This one just looks like the Nest-e
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2020
1442 posts
965 upvotes
StraightCashHomie wrote: I would strongly discourage any google thermostat. I bought the nest in December, had it professionally installed and it destroyed my furnace in 10 days. Huge, costly mistake. There is enough information out there regarding the google and thermostats. Proceed with caution.
The only way this can happen is if the control line wasnt hooked up to the Nest thermostat, and every few single hours it turns the furnace on for a sec to draw power into the internal battery. Either you dont have a control wire, and the installer was too lazy to hook one up (he should have warned you), or it is there but he didnt hook it up.

There is no way way for the Nest to destroy your furnace. And this info is online as well, and very well documented.

TLDR: Dont use a Nest thermostat without a control wire going into it for power.
Aug 23, 2020
66 posts
43 upvotes
evilYoda wrote: The only way this can happen is if the control line wasnt hooked up to the Nest thermostat, and every few single hours it turns the furnace on for a sec to draw power into the internal battery. Either you dont have a control wire, and the installer was too lazy to hook one up (he should have warned you), or it is there but he didnt hook it up.

There is no way way for the Nest to destroy your furnace. And this info is online as well, and very well documented.

TLDR: Dont use a Nest thermostat without a control wire going into it for power.
Contrary to what you are saying...there was a control wire installed with the unit. I called a second HVAC guy and the first thing he asked was “is it a google nest?” He said has had nothing but problems with Google. Two separate HVAC guys said the same thing. Do what you want with that info, but that was my experience with it.
Deal Addict
May 12, 2010
2180 posts
605 upvotes
Vaughan
Bigboy16 wrote: It does have a battery backup, but it's for like if you don't have a 24 volt as it'll slowly charge off the other wires. Not meant to be ran solo.
Any idea how people in hot locations install these devices that need to draw power from a furnace?
Mar 17, 2014
668 posts
362 upvotes
Vancouver
this must be replacement for nest-e as there are no more nest-es being sold. i have 2 nest es and it's been working fine for past few years, no problems, in-floor radiant heating. installed myself very easy to install if you follow instruction correctly.
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2016
1464 posts
1662 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
d_source wrote: Any idea how people in hot locations install these devices that need to draw power from a furnace?
I didn't have a 24 volt wire, but it just charges enough from the G, W and other wires to function.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2020
1442 posts
965 upvotes
StraightCashHomie wrote: Contrary to what you are saying...there was a control wire installed with the unit. I called a second HVAC guy and the first thing he asked was “is it a google nest?” He said has had nothing but problems with Google. Two separate HVAC guys said the same thing. Do what you want with that info, but that was my experience with it.
Other than saying it's a nest problem, did you ask either of them very thoroughly what went wrong? I did my research and it is exactly as i stated. A lack of control wire that caused the thermostat to turn on and off the furnace every few hours leading to a premature death for parts of the furnace.

I would be very interested in finding out what went wrong if my furnace was damaged. It isnt just ok to say nest killed it. I would want to know why and how. None of this stuff it that technical.