Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert

Google Nest Wifi 5 Router with 2 Points - 3 Pack - $369.99

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 30th, 2020 7:04 pm
May 17, 2009
405 posts
53 upvotes

Google Nest Wifi 5 Router with 2 Points - 3 Pack - $369.99

Deal Link:
Price:
$369.99
Savings:
$90
Seems to be same price everywhere.

I just returned my Netgear Orbi RBK50 from Dell sale a weeks ago (Great wifi signals across the house but unstable - internet would randomly cut off). Now going to give this a try
41 replies
Jun 4, 2019
69 posts
96 upvotes
Don't buy this, but 3 of the nest wifi routers and mesh them. The nest points are useless, and very slow at AC1200, while router is AC2200. Router occasionally go for sale for $169 on Amazon.

Also, router is more powerful, has extra range, and can handle more devices with ease

2 of nest Wi-Fi router has better performance than 1 router + 2 Points
May 17, 2009
405 posts
53 upvotes
NirajP wrote: Don't buy this, but 3 of the nest wifi routers and mesh them. The nest points are useless, and very slow at AC1200, while router is AC2200. Router occasionally go for sale for $169 on Amazon.

Also, router is more powerful, has extra range, and can handle more devices with ease

Honestly, i personally don't care for speed too much as my internet is only 100Mb, and any decent router should be able to max that. I just want a system that has good range, and more importantly, is stable. Like I mentioned in OP, i am coming from RBK50, which is AC3000 but i wasn't happy due to the random downtimes.
Jun 4, 2019
69 posts
96 upvotes
zunairryk wrote: Honestly, i personally don't care for speed too much as my internet is only 100Mb, and any decent router should be able to max that. I just want a system that has good range, and more importantly, is stable. Like I mentioned in OP, i am coming from RBK50, which is AC3000 but i wasn't happy due to the random downtimes.
In that case, this is good, I was just concerned about it being future proof, as you may increase your internet in future to 500 mbps or more
Aug 1, 2011
371 posts
374 upvotes
Canada
NirajP wrote: Don't buy this, but 3 of the nest wifi routers and mesh them. The nest points are useless, and very slow at AC1200, while router is AC2200. Router occasionally go for sale for $169 on Amazon.

100% agree with this. The points dont have a wired backhaul so they are just repeating the signal.

I have one nest router working beautifully with no issues for a year now, never had to reboot or mess around with anything. I'll be looking out for nest router sales myself.
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2009
2845 posts
2536 upvotes
Ontario
If you're serious about good wifi, get a router and hardwire a couple access points.
For $400 you can get two Ubiquity Unifi APs, find a way to wire them back to your router and never worry about it again.
May 17, 2009
405 posts
53 upvotes
CaptainCrash wrote: If you're serious about good wifi, get a router and hardwire a couple access points.
For $400 you can get two Ubiquity Unifi APs, find a way to wire them back to your router and never worry about it again.
Wired backhaul would be ideal for sure. Just don't want to go through it right now lol

I placed an order through Google store (have heard good things about their warranty). I will report back my experience once i receive the units, and have had some time to test them out.
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2011
2207 posts
692 upvotes
Toronto
CaptainCrash wrote: If you're serious about good wifi, get a router and hardwire a couple access points.
Interested to learn more about this. Any info you can point me to? Thanks
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2010
1193 posts
824 upvotes
Markham
2K6TSX wrote: Interested to learn more about this. Any info you can point me to? Thanks
https://www.duckware.com/tech/wifi-in-the-us.html

As for the Unifi setup, you can keep your existing router if it works for you. Connect the APs to it via LAN with the included PoE injectors, and set them up by installing the controller software on a computer to configure.
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2009
2845 posts
2536 upvotes
Ontario
2K6TSX wrote: Interested to learn more about this. Any info you can point me to? Thanks
Yes as mentioned above.
On a basic level you can use your router and just add 2 Unifi APs. Backhaul them via cable to the router whatever way you have to and use the app to activate them.
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2010
1193 posts
824 upvotes
Markham
amitkhosla wrote: Was thinking of getting Ubiquiti Amplifi AC Dual-Band HD Mesh Wi-Fi 5 Router System . Any feedback?

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/ub ... lsrc=aw.ds
I think the pricing is a bit steep for what they're offering. The mesh points and router is only 3x3 and 450mbps+1300mbps. I don't think the product is as refined as the Unifi and EdgeRouter lines.
For about the same cost for a mesh setup, you could go with a Netgear or Linksys tri-band setup that's 4x4.
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2006
4626 posts
3267 upvotes
Ottawa
I have two, want them? They're worth 400 toothpicks.. Uap ac lr they drop, poor range and speed.. I setup two in my house.. The crap bell 3000 modem has better range and speed.. I just don't understand. And one of them was wired outside my bedroom door on ceiling.

Upgraded firmware. Changed strength, changed channels, changed to 5gz only or just one ap. Was horrid. I don't understand, as they're supposed to be the cream of the crop.
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2006
4626 posts
3267 upvotes
Ottawa
Expliciate wrote: https://www.duckware.com/tech/wifi-in-the-us.html

As for the Unifi setup, you can keep your existing router if it works for you. Connect the APs to it via LAN with the included PoE injectors, and set them up by installing the controller software on a computer to configure.
See my previous post, not all they're made out to be
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2010
1193 posts
824 upvotes
Markham
shylok wrote: I have two, want them? They're worth 400 toothpicks.. Uap ac lr they drop, poor range and speed.. I setup two in my house.. The crap bell 3000 modem has better range and speed.. I just don't understand. And one of them was wired outside my bedroom door on ceiling.

Upgraded firmware. Changed strength, changed channels, changed to 5gz only or just one ap. Was horrid. I don't understand, as they're supposed to be the cream of the crop.
The HH3000 is a tri-band router that supports 802.11AC Wave 2 MU-MIMO. I would not be surprised if it outperforms the UAP-AC-LR.
An equivalent comparison would be the nanoHDs.

Proper deployment also plays a big factor.
If you are using the lower end APs, you would need more units with roaming set properly for more consistent and better performance.
Deal Addict
Apr 14, 2006
1152 posts
734 upvotes
St Johns
zunairryk wrote: Seems to be same price everywhere.

I just returned my Netgear Orbi RBK50 from Dell sale a weeks ago (Great wifi signals across the house but unstable - internet would randomly cut off). Now going to give this a try
For $19.99 more yes, good choice.
Deal Addict
Apr 2, 2006
1684 posts
291 upvotes
I have a Cisco router and one ubiquiti AP (LR) In laundry room upstairs but it was having trouble reaching our living area which is at the far end of the house. I bought another AP (Ac pro) and put it in the basement where our router and cable modem is (closer to living room) but in basement. Doing speed test on my iPhone barely gets me 35 mbps download speed on WiFi for a 300 mbps Shaw internet. Does that seem right?

Thanks!
Jun 7, 2013
441 posts
434 upvotes
Mascouche
We have this at home. Given the COVID situation, myself and wife working from home and kids having MS Teams syncs with the school, using a regular router had / has its limits. Here is what I did: we bought this. It gives us very good wifi signal in our cottage and 8000 sqf. terrain. And from the router, I wired 3 PCs with electric outlet adapters (fast enough for our needs). Bonus: the Nest hubs can be used to listen to music and give them commands + the whole system is obviously very well integrated into Google's Home ecosystem, something that others can't offer. We are very satisfied with this product, super solid and easy to operate for the average users. Was hesitating to get an Orbi bundle but I'm glad we get this at the end.
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2009
2845 posts
2536 upvotes
Ontario
shylok wrote: I have two, want them? They're worth 400 toothpicks.. Uap ac lr they drop, poor range and speed.. I setup two in my house.. The crap bell 3000 modem has better range and speed.. I just don't understand. And one of them was wired outside my bedroom door on ceiling.

Can't speak for your troubleshooting, I have two AC Pros and separated 2.4ghz and 5ghz, all of my IOT stuff on 2.4 Including 4 Google Outdoor cameras and the wifi is working flawless all over the house. Speeds aren't extraordinary but they are solid and dont drop. I get 200-300mbps on 5ghz in my main areas, over 400 when right next to the AP and 100 in my further areas.
I've yet to tinker with the controller settings. This is right out of the box.

With AI mesh I had two routers and the cameras were stuttering all day.

When researching many people said the LR is not for home use, but for large open warehouse type applications.

Sorry it didn't work out for you but I couldnt be happier with the $500 I spent.
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2009
2845 posts
2536 upvotes
Ontario
crustydragon wrote: I have a Cisco router and one ubiquiti AP (LR) In laundry room upstairs but it was having trouble reaching our living area which is at the far end of the house. I bought another AP (Ac pro) and put it in the basement where our router and cable modem is (closer to living room) but in basement. Doing speed test on my iPhone barely gets me 35 mbps download speed on WiFi for a 300 mbps Shaw internet. Does that seem right?

Thanks!
Lots of factors in wifi, are you on the 5ghz network? If so I would say that's slow. If you're connected to 2ghz I'd say it's based on how much interference you have.
When I had my Asus router I would barely get 5mbps on 2ghz. Ran a wifi scan and there's over 30 conflicting networks in my area. All bell. Bell tech said he's never seen anything like it.
That's when I made the switch.