• Jan 6th, 2021 10:58 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 7, 2009
1053 posts
586 upvotes
East of Toronto

Google Nest Wifi Issues

I wanted to increase coverage in my home so I decided to try Nest WIFI as it supports PPPoE. Initial set-up was easy but I needed to reset all of my "smart" home devices. They only work on the 2.4 GHz band. The way the Nest router works is that, unlike my old router, it uses the same name for the 2.4 and 5 GHz bands. I have a number of 2.4 GHz devices that I cannot set up. Take TP-Link plugs for example. To set them up on your phone you need to have your phone connected to a 2.4 GHz band. I believe that my iPhone always connects to the 5 GHz band. I can find no way of determining what band the phone is connected to nor any way to tell it to go to the 2.4 GHz band. I tried connecting from a greater distance to try to force the phone to 2.4 GHz but that did not work. So it seems that if I want to use this router I might as well toss the devices or see if I can return the router to Best Buy. Wish I had researched this before buying and installing.
Wondering if anyone has ever come up with a work around? Thanks.
6 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2004
3842 posts
1046 upvotes
Seems like the google nest wifi has moved on to the Google home app ? The old Google wifi app does tell you which band each device is connected to :( It was under devices > click on your device > details tab. I am on the previous vesion of google onhub wifi, but its the same thing, the 2.4ghz and 5ghz bands are under the same name.

Heres some interesting suggestions people make to get 2.4ghz only devices setup : https://support.google.com/googlenest/t ... 1640?hl=en

I would think the temporary hot spot method would be easiest? or hooking up an old router temporarily.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 7, 2009
1053 posts
586 upvotes
East of Toronto
Thanks coilz for the link to the suggestions. I tried the walking away trick and it did not work for me. The hotspot might. I think my phone defaults the hotspot to 5 GHz but my wife's might work. Wish Google had added the functionality to turn bands on of off. Still might return it even if I can get that to work.
Oct 12, 2005
272 posts
75 upvotes
Markham, ON
If you have an older phone that only connects on the 2.4GHz band, that would work too. However, that would require the app for your smart devices to work on the old phone, which sometimes, may not be possible.

I keep an old phone to set up my smart plugs and so far, no issues with the apps I need to use.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 7, 2009
1053 posts
586 upvotes
East of Toronto
Thanks for your help. I ended up finding an old tablet that would work but I decided that I will return the Nest WIFI, plug in the old D-Link router and look for another solution.
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2007
4095 posts
1007 upvotes
Same as the Netgear Orbi. It is convenient using one SSID. I have a RT5300 that setup with both wifi channels and using Orbi as satellites (hot spots) so I don't have much problems setting up the little smart devices. There's actually a way to hack the Orbi and separate the two channels with 2 bands with different SSIDs. Not sure about Nest. However there's another way to do this, if you have separate bands, is to forget the 5GHz on your phone and it will only connect to the 2.4GHz band to setup the smart devices.
FS : Promise NS4300N NAS,Linksys RE400W,E5151,HBB1,VIVOTab RT,MemoPad 8
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2009
2969 posts
1573 upvotes
I have nest wifi and have setup many kasa and tuya switches/plugs without any problem. I do use an Android phone (Mi A19).

All I need to do before setting up a device is to switch phone to the guest wifi network (the phone is on the 5GHz band). That's it!
The first rule of Fight Club is: you do not talk about Usenet