• Apr 16th, 2014 11:39 am
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2009
1180 posts
255 upvotes
Toronto
Got shipping notification 2 hours ago. Ordered Black 16gb at 2:24PM oct 31st.
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2007
1836 posts
205 upvotes
NB
Do you still need a screen protector with gorilla glass 3? I am very careful, but I'm mostly worried about small surface scratches.
Deal Addict
Oct 30, 2002
1387 posts
129 upvotes
Burnaby
nikhil1 wrote: Just ordered this case for $1.00+6.50(shipping) from amazon.ca
SPIGEN Google Nexus 5 Case Bumper **NEW Release** [Ultra Hybrid] [Black]

http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00FJJ3 ... UTF8&psc=1
INTERESTING.... If you ship it to a US address... shipping is FREE...
-----------------------------
Oh RFD!!! You've Broken my wallet.... :(
Deal Addict
Dec 22, 2006
2800 posts
256 upvotes
Toronto
Art wrote: INTERESTING.... If you ship it to a US address... shipping is FREE...
That's a great catch. Order 100 shipped to the USA. Resell for $10.
Jul 7, 2008
534 posts
211 upvotes
So I'm confused, I got a shipping confirmation with a tracking number but in my order status it says "leaves wear house in 2 - 3 weeks.
So does that mean my item is not shipped yet?
Nov 26, 2006
534 posts
50 upvotes
Toronto
Colin0317 wrote: Do you still need a screen protector with gorilla glass 3? I am very careful, but I'm mostly worried about small surface scratches.
This reddit post was very helpful when I read it in understanding use of screen protectors.

totalBS 136 points 7 days ago
Here's the simple explanation, Gorilla Glass will resist scratches from almost any material you normally carry around (including keys and coins). The metal you carry around is much softer than GG, but what's much harder and will scratch the glass is sand/quartz. And unfortunately quartz is one of the most common materials around and it's on everything and embedded everywhere. If you want some more scientific numbers you can look at the Vickers Hardness value for these materials (Corning only released the Vickers hardness value). Quartz is close to 1200, Gorilla Glass is around 650, and your keys, coins, and anything else that's metal isn't going to even pass 400. Higher numbers will scratch lower numbers (it's a little more complicated than this but it requires a longer explanation).

I've had my Nexus 4 for 10+ months and there are no scratches you can see under normal light. You have to look really close and shine a bright light on the screen to see micro scratches that comes from the dust in your pocket. I haven't needed a screen protector because I keep the screen off of any hard surface (never put a phone face down on a table) and I keep it away from sand as best as I can. You should be fine without a screen protector as long as you don't go to the beach all the time. And a screen protector will get scratched by your keys while the glass itself won't. So it's your call

Screen protectors from Day One.
Feb 6, 2008
730 posts
138 upvotes
Winnipeg
Hyphy wrote: im glad they unmerged the threads cuz this is one is nothing but bitching and moaning
There's a better thread?
Deal Addict
Aug 24, 2005
1305 posts
430 upvotes
Joining the chorus for having received a shipping notification. Ordered at 6:30pm, shipping notice went from 3-4 weeks to 2-3 weeks to shipped. I guess Google pulled a fast one over us.
Also ordered the Spigen ultra hybrid case for $7.5. Looks like a great deal.

I wonder which one will arrive first :) .
Sep 19, 2009
796 posts
11 upvotes
Toronto
Art wrote: INTERESTING.... If you ship it to a US address... shipping is FREE...
anyone know if SPIGEN cases are good quality?
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2006
1304 posts
147 upvotes
gotridet wrote: anyone know if SPIGEN cases are good quality?
I have heard they make great cases and screen protectors. Never used one but it has to be better than ebay stuff
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2007
1387 posts
675 upvotes
Vancouver
gotridet wrote: anyone know if SPIGEN cases are good quality?
They are much better than the generic ebay cheapies, and are basically up there with the expensive stuff you get at big box stores (imo). This is coming from experience with my friend's cases though, as I have yet to receive my ultra hybrid. Check youtube for SPIGEN Iphone cases to get a better idea.
Deal Addict
Jun 10, 2011
4065 posts
1383 upvotes
oh wow, I didn't think I would be one of the lucky ones.
It originally said I would get it by 22 nov 2013 / 3-4 weeks,
then 1 day later it said 2-3 weeks.

and now SHIPPED! :D

Order date: 31-Oct-2013 10:14:18 EDT PM
black nexus 5 32gb