Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert

Google Nexus 5 16gb/$349 - 32gb/$399 - Black/White

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 16th, 2014 11:39 am
Tags:
None
Jun 6, 2008
306 posts
31 upvotes
Can Nexus 5 be locked? I thought google phones cannot be locked.
Fido is selling it for $200 on a 2 year term. But the agent says the phone is locked to Fido and can be used only with Fido, Rogers or Chatr. Should I get it?
I want to get one for my brother in India. Planning to buy it with the plan (i am on Fido anyways) and send it to him.
Also, Will it work there? Or does it need to have anything specific to work outside NA?
Sep 29, 2009
65 posts
4 upvotes
hello2adi wrote: Can Nexus 5 be locked? I thought google phones cannot be locked.
Fido is selling it for $200 on a 2 year term. But the agent says the phone is locked to Fido and can be used only with Fido, Rogers or Chatr. Should I get it?
I want to get one for my brother in India. Planning to buy it with the plan (i am on Fido anyways) and send it to him.
Also, Will it work there? Or does it need to have anything specific to work outside NA?
All Nexus devices come unlocked.
Plus even if it is locked to Fido how can it be used on Rogers or Chatr??
Penalty Box
Jul 11, 2008
4368 posts
1508 upvotes
Away from RFD idiots
Bigus_Dicus wrote: All Nexus devices come unlocked.
same network

but all nexus 5 are unlocked anyways.
Aug 7, 2013
35 posts
6 upvotes
Burlington
yann02 wrote: I think i will be getting the phone next week,

any suggestion for carrier, I think it would be good to go with bell since I have TV internet and my brother mobile phone is with them, but I look at their plan does not seems great,

whats the best deal for mobile phone plan right now, and is it possible to negociate with bell?, i'm on the south shore of montreal
Depends on your needs but I took the Virgin mobile $60 silver plan ($54 after BYOD discount). Can't beat unlimited Canada wide, VM/CD, 2GB for that price right now. Fido and Koodo have the exact same plan, so depends on your choice of network.
Deal Addict
Aug 23, 2003
1450 posts
210 upvotes
hello2adi wrote: Can Nexus 5 be locked? I thought google phones cannot be locked.
Search the thread, this has been discussed many times.
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2004
1995 posts
13 upvotes
Bigus_Dicus wrote: All Nexus devices come unlocked.
There are network locks besides operator locks. Mind you I still think that the Nexus 5 is unlocked.
Jun 13, 2012
308 posts
153 upvotes
CALGARY
Fishbulb wrote: Android noob here..... can you connect these phones via bluetooth audio to car audio systems? Can you connect via the USB cable for audio control/charging for stereos with a USB input? Thanks!
Honestly I think I'm ready to switch away from my Iphone but I want this to work well with my car! hahaha
Thanks everyone for your help! As long as the bluetooth works I should be fine, since i should still be able to use that even if I am charging my phone via the USB. (2013 impreza limited for reference)
Deal Addict
May 6, 2007
1413 posts
377 upvotes
Ottawa, On
OK need case advice. Which should I go with:

Spigen Neo Hybrid
+Slim
-Not much protection

Spigen Slim Armor
+Better protection
+Cheaper
-Bulkier

Thanks!
Deal Fanatic
Jan 23, 2009
7611 posts
5047 upvotes
da_guy2 wrote: OK need case advice. Which should I go with:

Spigen Neo Hybrid
+Slim
-Not much protection

Spigen Slim Armor
+Better protection
+Cheaper
-Bulkier

Thanks!
Go slim armor. I initially had the neo hybrid but it is uncomfortable to hold, plus the rubber they used for the neo is slippery as hell. I almost dropped my phone because of it. The plastic ring around the neo feels flimsy as well. The headset whole on the ring is not big enough to fit most earphones so be wary of that. I sold it last week.

The slim armor, although a couple of mm thicker will provide a lot more protection like you said. Your phone will thank you for it. The curves on the case contours on the phone makes it more comfortable to hold. I have the smooth black. The plastic has a matte finish and will not slip out of your hand easily like the neo hybrid would. The earphone hole on the rubber part of the case is a lot wider, so A+ for that. There are some issues with the button part of the older version of the case but Spigen fixed this issue sometime in the second week of November and are currently selling the newer, revised version. It is my current case for my nexus 5 and I love it so far.
Jan 24, 2009
951 posts
21 upvotes
Unionville, Ontario
Hmmm I ordered a 16gb white Nexus 5 from the play store the 21st with ship date of December 11th, just got an email now though saying the phone's just been shipped with estimated delivery of this Friday.
Anyone else experience this? Perhaps hope for people ordering now or in the next few days!
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
50593 posts
6557 upvotes
Toronto
obesepenguin wrote: Hmmm I ordered a 16gb white Nexus 5 from the play store the 21st with ship date of December 11th, just got an email now though saying the phone's just been shipped with estimated delivery of this Friday.
Anyone else experience this? Perhaps hope for people ordering now or in the next few days!
It's "ship by" and usually everyone get their orders earlier than the projected ship date.
Dec 18, 2006
734 posts
142 upvotes
Halifax
hello2adi wrote: I want to get one for my brother in India. Planning to buy it with the plan (i am on Fido anyways) and send it to him.
Bear in mind that there are apparently two variants of the N5, just like the N4. The one here obviously is the North American version - you will have to make sure that the bands in India are compatible with the ones on this version.
http://www.gsmarena.com/lg_nexus_5-5705.php
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2011
2248 posts
908 upvotes
Edmonton
Vacillator wrote: My black 32GB arrived around 6 p.m. last night in Edmonton. The guy knocked a couple of times, and was nearly in his truck by the time I got to the door.

Everything seems to work fine, including the wireless charging. The phone seems extremely fast from my limited time with it; it seemed to rip through all of the updates and installations of the apps I use. I launched a few games and they were ready to go much faster than my S2X or 2012 Nexus 7 would be. I didn't try ART, because I run Whatsapp, but it doesn't seem like it needs a speed boost anyway. I didn't actually spend that much time playing with it since I was already familiar with Kit Kat from the Nexus 7. I'll probably unlock the bootloader and root it soon anyway, so I'll end up setting it up again anyway.

LTE is FAST. I just tested here at work, which probably is not an optimal location, and still got 23.2 Mbps down and 8.3 up on Koodo. I typically don't use a whole lot of cellular data, but I might just find myself using it a bit more while out and about because it's less frustrating waiting for pages to load, but I don't expect it to change my habits greatly.
Well, at least he knocked. The guy just left it on my doorstep and if I wasn't looking out the window I would've missed it
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2007
1223 posts
123 upvotes
There are some decent cases at Pacific Mall for $5 to $10. Recommend trying them out instead of ordering online.
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2001
1609 posts
324 upvotes
Mississauga
Jimboski wrote: It's "ship by" and usually everyone get their orders earlier than the projected ship date.
Ordered Nov 22. Ship date Dec 11. Shipped today with delivery of Nov 29.
Dec 18, 2006
734 posts
142 upvotes
Halifax
yann02 wrote: I think i will be getting the phone next week,

any suggestion for carrier, I think it would be good to go with bell since I have TV internet and my brother mobile phone is with them, but I look at their plan does not seems great,

whats the best deal for mobile phone plan right now, and is it possible to negociate with bell?, i'm on the south shore of montreal
All depends what deals are running in your area. If you can get a combo deal with Bell, you would have to work it out w/numbers.
As a general rule, I think the flanker brands for the big 3 (Virgin/Bell, Koodo/Telus, Fido/Rogers) tend to have better deals than their parent brands, mostly because the parent brands' prices reflect access to latest/greatest phones.

Reception is a moot point between them, as they use each others' networks. You'd also want to explore who has the better reception/coverage in your area, for example Bell/Virgin has the widest coverage area here in the maritimes. Perhaps someone else from your area can chime in.
Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2007
2116 posts
1137 upvotes
Received mine today. First impressions:

-Screen is excellent, much richer colours than the Nexus 4
-Power button isn't as snug as I'd like
-It's noticeably faster than the Nexus 4.
-KitKat 4.4 is a bit of a downgrade, toolbar loses useful colour, flash support is broken, gallery is replaced with "Photos"
-Phone feels much lighter than the N4, even though it's only slightly lighter
-Screen takes up much more of the front surface area, looks perfect
-For WIND users it seems to switch from roaming back to WIND much faster
-Icons are large, a bit annoying

Overall it's better than I was expecting.
Feb 18, 2009
845 posts
256 upvotes
Thornhill
Tangentm wrote: Depends on your needs but I took the Virgin mobile $60 silver plan ($54 after BYOD discount). Can't beat unlimited Canada wide, VM/CD, 2GB for that price right now. Fido and Koodo have the exact same plan, so depends on your choice of network.
It can most definitely be beat! Call Virgin and ask to be moved over to this plan:
Plat 60 6GB H
Txt & Pic msg to Can & US
Unlimited International text
Standard LD Rate (to U.S. & CAN)
Call Display
myPeeps
Smartphone Data - 6 GB
Unlimited anytime minutes
Voicemail 3
Canada-Wide Calling
International Text
Unlimited Incoming Text
Pay per use Voice - U.S. Roaming
Feb 18, 2009
845 posts
256 upvotes
Thornhill
I would say the Fido rep s lying to you, but he isn't that smart! They have drones working for them that know nothing about phones! Go back to the store and tell him you are willing to bet any money the phone isn't locked and will work with any carrier. If he agrees put a Sim of your choice. FOR THE ONE MILLIONTH TIME! NO GSM NEXUS HAS BEEN IS OR EVER WILL BE LOCKED! It goes against everything Google believes in.
Dec 6, 2009
163 posts
73 upvotes
UPS doesn't update their website until it is delivered sometimes. Had both of mines delivered at noon without the UPS guy even knocking or pressing the door bell. Luckily I signed up for "status updates" on the UPS tracking page and got the email 5 mins after it was delivered.

Overall a decent upgrade over my Nexus 4.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)