• Last Updated:
  • Jan 2nd, 2014 1:32 pm
Tags:
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2013
1046 posts
149 upvotes
Burlington, ON
Used my hardware upgrade last week but I think I should just sell that and get this. Hoping they stay with that sub $400 price tag, I'll be a first day buyer.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 13, 2002
5738 posts
309 upvotes
Calgary
will buy if under 400... my nexus s is coasting on fumes...
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2011
39499 posts
5839 upvotes
King City
tk1000 wrote:
Sep 16th, 2013 11:25 pm
Rumors: LG Nexus 5 recorded on video in a bar; to be unveiled alongside Android 4.4 KitKat on October 14
http://www.androidauthority.com/rumors- ... 14-270006/
Posted already: google-nexus-5-thread-w-android-4-4-kit ... st17441843
The One and Only and Proud to be an Indian.
If I helped in any way, click that cool little "Thanks" button.
Nov 15, 2004
17574 posts
2873 upvotes
Toronto
My Galaxy Nexus just broke today. A one-month wait isn't too bad for a brand new phone.
Could HAVE, not could OF. What does 'could of' even mean?
Deal Addict
May 22, 2005
3485 posts
173 upvotes
Toronto
I love how people are magically making up numbers of how low the price of the phone should be. Ill say one thing the price is going to be way more reasonable then the new Iphones.
Deal Addict
Jun 25, 2004
3732 posts
322 upvotes
Pickering, ON
caRpetbomBer wrote:
Sep 17th, 2013 11:04 am
I love how people are magically making up numbers of how low the price of the phone should be. Ill say one thing the price is going to be way more reasonable then the new Iphones.
No one is making up prices, they said they hope/will buy at those prices.
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
32228 posts
8515 upvotes
GTHA
To celebrate the upcoming launch of Android 4.4 KitKat, Nestle gave away Nexus 7’s to people willing to take a seat and hold on to it.

Aug 3, 2013
645 posts
66 upvotes
I'm always curious about how you guys believe it should be $400?

A lg g2 costs $600+tax and all speculation says the nexus 5 will be the same with minor changes.

Is lg riping people off? Or Google practicing anti-competitive behaviour?
Aug 3, 2013
645 posts
66 upvotes
Cont.

Bgr did a report last year on the topic on phone price manipulation by Google.

Google is essentially doing what Walmart did to get rid of competition because they can afford to take huge losses on phones and make.up the costs in Ad and playstore.

This will kill manufactures like lg, Sony, and Samsung from wanting to compete in the handset market.

You already see it with Samsung developing their own OS.
Deal Addict
Feb 6, 2012
1006 posts
86 upvotes
Toronto
Jusbokeh wrote:
Sep 21st, 2013 2:25 pm
Cont.

Google is essentially doing what Walmart did to get rid of competition because they can afford to take huge losses on phones and make.up the costs in Ad and playstore.

This will kill manufactures like lg, Sony, and Samsung from wanting to compete in the handset market.

Good, nearly all of the oem's abandon their products after a year anyways, their mentality: "why support an old phone when we can just sell you a new one!"

at least with Google, they want your information for ad revenue so the prices are cheaper to attract many people, the rest still wanna make 6-700 off a phone and still take your information at the same time
Deal Addict
May 13, 2005
3325 posts
3153 upvotes
Montreal
Jusbokeh wrote:
Sep 21st, 2013 2:21 pm
I'm always curious about how you guys believe it should be $400?

A lg g2 costs $600+tax and all speculation says the nexus 5 will be the same with minor changes.

Is lg riping people off? Or Google practicing anti-competitive behaviour?
Because last year Google priced the Nexus 4 around $350 which has similar spec as $600+ LG Optimus G.
The Google Nexus 5 is rumored to be priced at US$299 to US$349. This price is based on the subsidized price of last year’s LG built Google Nexus 4. Given the reported specifications of the Google Nexus 5, it seems hard to believe it will be sold for US$299 to US$349, not even in select countries.
http://thedroidguy.com/2013/09/google-n ... ke-thrice/
It would seem obvious, then, that Google is subsidizing the Nexus 4 to some extent.
http://mobilesyrup.com/2012/11/05/googl ... ogle-play/
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2008
2085 posts
342 upvotes
Jusbokeh wrote:
Sep 21st, 2013 2:25 pm
Cont.

The last thing Google wants is to alienate, let alone "kill" their manufacturing partners. What reason at all would Google have to do that? They still receive data from any phone running Android. Hell, they freely give their software to their competitors. Why at all would Google want to "kill" their partners while helping their competitors thrive?

The low-cost Nexus program is perfectly fine. While I can't speak for the Nexus 5, the Nexus 4 was in perfect harmony with the other Android handsets out there. People that need monster specs, not to mention LTE, bought up the SGS4/HTC One in abundance. People that wanted a simpler and cheaper Android experience bought up the Nexus 4. I assure you that the Nexus 4 didn't shatter any records or put any other company out of business.

The last thing Google wants to be is Walmart. They don't want to be the ones manufacturing the hardware and put the effort into advertising and such -- they leave it to the manufacturers to do that while they sit back and reap the ad revenue benefits. The only reason I could see Google come off the sidelines is when a punk like Samsung starts pushing their own services while still taking advantage of Android. I assume Motorola will be positioned as a counter if Samsung starts with their Tizen crap.