Google Nexus 5 | Thread | W/ Android 4.4 "Kit-Kat" ×× Oct 31

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 2nd, 2014 1:32 pm
Tags:
Oct 21, 2011
381 posts
594 upvotes
Brampton
Thanks for the quick repley, but where is the update zip??
Banned
Jan 11, 2004
19816 posts
572 upvotes
wow... the camera is so much faster (even in HDR+ mode)...really impressed with HDR+ mode.

Whatsapp also now works in ART runtime
Deal Expert
Aug 26, 2001
18145 posts
1741 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
gilboman wrote: wow... the camera is so much faster (even in HDR+ mode)...really impressed with HDR+ mode.

Whatsapp also now works in ART runtime
Can you check if Songza also works?
Deal Expert
May 22, 2005
21223 posts
6990 upvotes
GTA
Uh oh, flashed the .zip but it failed and now it boots to the Google logo, stalls, then restarts into TWRP.

I flashed the stock kernel before attempting to flash 4.4.1 zip.
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2011
47027 posts
9310 upvotes
coriolis wrote: Uh oh, flashed the .zip but it failed and now it boots to the Google logo, stalls, then restarts into TWRP.

Ah I see you have experienced this. Shoulda stuck with stock kernel before even flashing a custom kernel. Flashing stock kernel either by fastboot flash boot.img or restoring it with Franco's backup feature is gonna result in that. I had that with the N4 back in November :D :razz:

Only way to solve was to factory reset and reflash all the factory image files.
Blanka
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
13375 posts
8308 upvotes
Brampton
The OTA for 4.4.1. probably won't hit until the end of next week. But if you can't wait then just side load 4.4.1. I couldn't wait for the fixes. I'm really hoping 4.4.1 fixes the exchange issue. Won't know for a day or 2 as that's how long it takes to act up usually.

So far so good. I wasn't rooted, I sideloaded using the ADB method and then switched the runtime to ART. The phone is fast stock on 4.4 with animations set to 0.5x but then you go to 4.4.1 it's blazing. Turn on ART it's almost precognition.

It's like strapping on a turbo charger on a powerful V8.
Deal Expert
May 22, 2005
21223 posts
6990 upvotes
GTA
djemzine wrote: ah i see you have experienced this. Shoulda stuck with stock kernel before even flashing a custom kernel. Flashing stock kernel either by fastboot flash boot.img or restoring it with franco's backup feature is gonna result in that. I had that with the n4 back in november :d :razz:

Only way to solve was to factory reset and reflash all the factory image files.

fffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff
Deal Fanatic
Sep 10, 2005
5701 posts
3662 upvotes
GTA
coriolis wrote: Uh oh, flashed the .zip but it failed and now it boots to the Google logo, stalls, then restarts into TWRP.

Did you try flashing system.img as well?
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2011
47027 posts
9310 upvotes
coriolis wrote: fffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff
Ya I ain't digging through my own thread way way back lol for this :razz:

Edit: coriolis hopefully you are seeing this.

official-google-nexus-4-android-4-4-kit ... st16350034
EDIT: WORKED LIKE A CHARM! I SHOULD HAVE TROUBLE SHOOTED THIS METHOD BEFORE DOING OTHER TROUBLE SHOOTING TECHNIQUES. Ugh. You learn from mistakes eh?

I had to actually flash the stock image, despite hitting restore and selecting the stock image from Franco's Kernel updater app. So tip to you all, if you plan on flashing it manually or via OTA, PLEASE MAKE SURE TO FLASH YOUR STOCK KERNEL. RESTORING IT from the Franco Kernel Updater App won't do the trick 100% despite it "Restoring" it.

I also had to do a full uninstall for Root access using the SuperSu app (not needed) but might have been just the bloody kernel thing itself. Either way its fine and I am going to have to re-install TWRP and SuperSu which is not a biggy...

Glad I got the sucker working!
official-google-nexus-4-android-4-4-kit ... st16351827
ss7 wrote: I think that could be my problem as well. I woke up today with notification about 4.2.2 OTA update. Once I got to work I restored from Franco and proceeded to do the OTA, it started cycle and brought me into the TWRP recovery.

I had no idea why or what to do, so I restarted it. Once restarted, the OTA didn't show up again and the phone is still 4.2.1.

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/VK7QKcX.png[/IMG]

I went ahead and found flashable .zip of stock kernel, flashed it in TWRP just to reassure, but still no OTA >< I'll try the fastboot method when I get home.
Could be a TWRP thing...
Blanka
Deal Expert
May 22, 2005
21223 posts
6990 upvotes
GTA
Dave98 wrote: Did you try flashing system.img as well?
Where would I find this file? I unzipped the stock .tgz but its not there.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 10, 2005
5701 posts
3662 upvotes
GTA
coriolis wrote: Where would I find this file? I unzipped the stock .tgz but its not there.
Same place as the stock kernel image (boot.img)

It's within the image-hammerhead-krt16m.zip file in the .tgz file
Deal Addict
Sep 16, 2012
3280 posts
489 upvotes
Mississauga
two questions, where can i pick up a decent case and second question bit of a rookie one, but this is my first android phone, how do i delete contacts that where transferred over from my emails, is there somehow i can undo this.
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2013
1046 posts
150 upvotes
Burlington, ON
olek86 wrote: two questions, where can i pick up a decent case and second question bit of a rookie one, but this is my first android phone, how do i delete contacts that where transferred over from my emails, is there somehow i can undo this.
I got this case: http://www.ebay.com/itm/RINGKE-SLIM-Goo ... 1291176170
Very nice IMO. I don't like those big bulky cases. This fits well, feels solid but doesn't add too much to the phone.

If I want to clean up my contacts I just log into my gmail on a desktop, select contacts and do it that way. Just easier.
Deal Guru
Feb 14, 2006
10084 posts
1418 upvotes
Holy crap, with 4.4.1, this is like a whole new phone. The speaker is insanely better, and so is the camera. Well done Google. Those were my 2 main gripes with this phone, but all that has been remedied.

Rocking Cataclysm Dec 6 Build w/ Franco r19.
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2013
1046 posts
150 upvotes
Burlington, ON
Cataclysm is great, the stability of stock but with tweaks. Loving this phone.
Deal Expert
May 22, 2005
21223 posts
6990 upvotes
GTA
Dave98 wrote: Same place as the stock kernel image (boot.img)

It's within the image-hammerhead-krt16m.zip file in the .tgz file
Saved my life! Haha, this got it booting back into the original 4.4 of before I attempted to flash the 4.4.1 OTA. It ended up unrooting my phone too, no matter though. It's back, I flashed 4.4.1 successfully and its Optimizing all my apps now.
Deal Expert
Nov 7, 2009
16955 posts
1538 upvotes
scarberia
Bisons wrote: I got this case: http://www.ebay.com/itm/RINGKE-SLIM-Goo ... 1291176170
Very nice IMO. I don't like those big bulky cases. This fits well, feels solid but doesn't add too much to the phone.

If I want to clean up my contacts I just log into my gmail on a desktop, select contacts and do it that way. Just easier.
i like that slimmer look but no WHITE color huh :( ?
i5 2500k PC RIP | Corsair Neutron GTX 240GB SSD | Samsung 840 Pro 256 gb SSD | Eco Coolit hybrid | MSI P67A-GD53 (B3) | 16 gb DDR3 RAM | GeForce GTS 450 x 2 SLI | Antec TP 650W modular | Antec 300 case | ACER H236HL IPS | DIR-880L AC router | Buffalo LS421DE NAS | Windows 8.1 Pro

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)