Google Nexus 5 | Thread | W/ Android 4.4 "Kit-Kat" ×× Oct 31

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 2nd, 2014 1:32 pm
Tags:
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2002
2278 posts
624 upvotes
I've never got a notification to update OTA for either 4.4.1 nor 4.4.2. I checked system update and it says that I'm up to date.

Is there something I need to do to update it?
Deal Fanatic
May 26, 2009
6024 posts
2116 upvotes
Toronto
djemzine wrote: Are you on 4.4 or 4.4.1/4.4.2?
4.4.2; The non-notifying Voicemail was before I upgraded and now the non-going-away Voicemial notification is after I got 4.4.2.

I also ran into another issue. I usually leave on my phone overnight and only lose about 5-10% of charge. After upgrading to 4.4.2, my phone lost 30% and completely died. Here's what it looked like:

AndroidOS seems to eat almost 40%+ of it, but I'm not sure why. Anyone have any issues?
Deal Addict
Mar 25, 2013
1618 posts
675 upvotes
Xeerochild wrote: 4.4.2; The non-notifying Voicemail was before I upgraded and now the non-going-away Voicemial notification is after I got 4.4.2.
On Virgin Mobile. I had no VM notifications on 4.4 ... never got the 4.4.1 upgrade... just upgraded to 4.4.2 and now I'm getting VM notification. YAY!!!! Finally!!! At first I thought I had the same problem because now the notification won't go away... but I waited a couple of minutes after clearing the new VM and then the notification did disappear, it just wasn't instantaneous.
"I've saved so much money, I have practically MADE money!" :)
Deal Fanatic
May 26, 2009
6024 posts
2116 upvotes
Toronto
amy2421 wrote: On Virgin Mobile. I had no VM notifications on 4.4 ... never got the 4.4.1 upgrade... just upgraded to 4.4.2 and now I'm getting VM notification. YAY!!!! Finally!!! At first I thought I had the same problem because now the notification won't go away... but I waited a couple of minutes after clearing the new VM and then the notification did disappear, it just wasn't instantaneous.
I had to call with another phone, leave a voice mail, listen to it then delete it and it went away. Strange :S
Deal Addict
Mar 25, 2013
1618 posts
675 upvotes
Xeerochild wrote: I had to call with another phone, leave a voice mail, listen to it then delete it and it went away. Strange :S
That's exactly what I did, to test if I could get notifications now. What a relief that is! :) Then I deleted my test VM and the icon stayed, and it can't be "swiped" out of my notifications list, so I thought I had a problem.... but then I looked down a couple of minutes later and the icon had disappeared.
"I've saved so much money, I have practically MADE money!" :)
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
19790 posts
3419 upvotes
Woodbridge
Google shipping the redesigned 5's?
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Deal Addict
Jan 20, 2009
1862 posts
277 upvotes
Toronto
anyone tried the CM 11 Nightly? im confused a little bit...do i need any GAPPS?
Deal Expert
May 22, 2005
21222 posts
6989 upvotes
GTA
n3o321 wrote: anyone tried the CM 11 Nightly? im confused a little bit...do i need any GAPPS?
Nope, but you probably need the latest GAPPS because I had though most custom roms don't have it.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 13, 2002
6877 posts
1032 upvotes
Calgary
stock works fine but had to root though... very happy with purchase...
Jan 22, 2010
703 posts
71 upvotes
NARNIA!, jk Toronto
Jimboski wrote: I don't know if i should bother with custom ROM's, pretty satisfied with stock ROM right now.
Will probably go stock + custom kernal until CM becomes more stable.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 13, 2002
6877 posts
1032 upvotes
Calgary
Jimboski wrote: I miss AdAway, you need root for that right?
yep worth rooting just for that
Jan 22, 2010
703 posts
71 upvotes
NARNIA!, jk Toronto
Jimboski wrote: What's the kernal for exactly? Better battery life?
Yeah you can set custom clock speed for the processor, I've seen some screenshots of 6 hour screen on time. And slowing down click speed won't make a different unless your playing graphic intensive games. That and I think you can recalibrate the screen to have more saturated colors which I like.
Deal Addict
Jan 20, 2009
1862 posts
277 upvotes
Toronto
Jimboski wrote: I don't know if i should bother with custom ROM's, pretty satisfied with stock ROM right now.

try catalyst = stayed true to stock with few added features for more convenience. no complaints so far. kinda want to try CM 11 nightly for the screencast feature for the hell of it.
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2006
1980 posts
263 upvotes
Ottawa
I received my Nexus 5 just after christmas and it's awesome, but I find it has issues turning on. When I first got it I pressed down the power button a few times and then it finally powered up. Recently I had an issue where the flash wouldn't turn off from one of those flashlight apps, so I powered off the phone and then it wouldn't power on no matter how long I held down power, until I decided I would go home and plug it in to my laptop, then on my way home on the bus it just suddenly worked.

Anyone else have this issue?
Deal Addict
May 26, 2008
1266 posts
377 upvotes
Thornhill
n3o321 wrote: try catalyst = stayed true to stock with few added features for more convenience. no complaints so far. kinda want to try CM 11 nightly for the screencast feature for the hell of it.
No need for custom Roms.

1) Root your device.
2) Install Xposed Installer (Google where to get it, most probably XDA)
3) Add the features you want and keep everything stock.