• Last Updated:
  • Feb 25th, 2018 9:36 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 7, 2016
1835 posts
993 upvotes

Google Offline Speech Recognition

Can anyone successfully use Google Voice typing offline in Cantonese right now? Having major issues on two different devices in downloading the Cantonese offline Google Voice typing file. It says update available, but I download the update and nothing installs/nothing changes. I have uninstalled, reinstalled, restarted my phones, tried changing Cantonese to the default language, checked for updates, cleared cache in my download manager, prayed, and clicked my heels three times. I'm at my wits end.

Phones are: LG G6 and Samsung A5. Both are running. Android Nougat 7.0.

Help?
Images
  • upload.png
  • upload.png
  • upload.png
Last edited by rolomonster on Feb 25th, 2018 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Screenshots added
Koodo: $60/10GB
Zoomer: $45 4GB LTE Loyalty Plan
OP of the Zoomer Wireless $36 2GB LTE Promo
2 replies
Deal Guru
May 8, 2009
14440 posts
12314 upvotes
Going to the Moon
Are you doing speech to text for web searches or in keyboard?

Since you reported using LG G6 and Sammy A5, both ship with their respective manufacturers' keyboards. Why not try Gboard instead (Google Play link). I find Gboard handles features better than Sammy's keyboard. Voice to text is also managed at the keyboard level (unless you're doing it through Google Now).
Premium Life: CDC [Icey Private Status]/SwissBorg/Netflix UHD [100% off]/Amazon [Prime 100% off]/Instacart [Express]
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 7, 2016
1835 posts
993 upvotes
titaniumtux wrote: Are you doing speech to text for web searches or in keyboard?

Since you reported using LG G6 and Sammy A5, both ship with their respective manufacturers' keyboards. Why not try Gboard instead (Google Play link). I find Gboard handles features better than Sammy's keyboard. Voice to text is also managed at the keyboard level (unless you're doing it through Google Now).
Keyboard. Should have mentioned that and that I also tried gboard on both devices. English (Canada) offline works fine, but Cantonese isn't working and doesn't seem to be downloading correctly (not sure about other languages).
Koodo: $60/10GB
Zoomer: $45 4GB LTE Loyalty Plan
OP of the Zoomer Wireless $36 2GB LTE Promo