Hot Deals

[Google Pay] Free 6 months of the Financial Times (YMMV)

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 24th, 2019 4:28 pm
Dec 22, 2017
153 posts
112 upvotes
Haven't heard of these guys but are they fake news like WSJ or NYT?
Oct 12, 2008
804 posts
1320 upvotes
Markham
GeneralAkbar wrote:
Mar 25th, 2019 8:03 pm
Haven't heard of these guys but are they fake news like WSJ or NYT?
Neutral Face
[OP]
Nov 21, 2017
165 posts
261 upvotes
Toronto
shatilas wrote:
Mar 25th, 2019 12:35 pm
Google Pay is offering free 6 months subscription of the Financial Times. After 6 months it’s $44.50 every month, and you can cancel anytime.
I don't know how much it helps everyone but a free is FREE.
This could be YMMV.

*With this promotional offer, you will receive a 6-month promotional trial, then be automatically enrolled onto a rolling monthly contract unless you cancel during your trial period. This promotion is limited to Google Pay users in the United Kingdom, Australia, and Canada (excluding Quebec) who are not existing subscribers to the Financial Times. This promotion is non-transferable. You can cancel at any time at no cost during your 6-month trial through your Google Account page. Once your paid subscription begins, any cancellation notice will take effect at the end of the same month and previously paid amounts are not refundable. Offer valid through April 30, 2019. Financial Times Terms & Conditions apply.

Screen Shot 2019-03-25 at 12.33.05 PM.png
The deal link has been updated. Hopefully it will work for every Google Pay user.
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2009
2767 posts
566 upvotes
Free is free and nice to stop seeing paywalls.
App works pretty well too, offline reading for those long TTC delays underground.
Apr 12, 2013
343 posts
197 upvotes
BC
Signed up but surprised to find it doesn't include premium content as promised on FT's support pages. Can't really complain for free.

FT has always been globally respected for quality journalism and excellent reporting (I'm a Brit so may be biased...) and is equivalent to the Wall Street Journal (nothing close in Canada sadly).

Thanks OP.
Jun 11, 2017
93 posts
77 upvotes
Thanks OP. Will be nice to have for a few months.

Any Economist deals around lately?
May 2, 2015
253 posts
200 upvotes
Toronto, ON
bylo wrote:
Mar 25th, 2019 4:12 pm
Use Google to your advantage, not only for a free subscription but also a free reminder (using Google Calendar) set a day or two before the trial ends so you can cancel before the auto-renew kicks in.

Simple. Easy. Free. All Google.

not required. you can cancel it right away. you will still get the 6 months free access.
Dec 5, 2018
96 posts
69 upvotes
Thanks OP. Subscribed and cancelled right away. I'm in Quebec and it worked.
Jan 24, 2016
19 posts
9 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
Got this in email this morning too. Personally I think this is hot, FInancial Times rarely sell its subscription at discount (unlike WSJ NYT etc. which regularly have $1 per week promos on)
Aug 1, 2008
88 posts
12 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks, was waiting for 99 usd sale in july but this is great.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
15661 posts
7946 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
trijunction wrote:
Mar 25th, 2019 11:12 pm
not required. you can cancel it right away. you will still get the 6 months free access.
Thanks. That wasn't clear from the "fine print." Sometimes these sorts of deals are designed to take advantage of peoples' forgetfulness. Good on Google and FT for not being among them.
veni, vidi, Visa
Dec 21, 2006
247 posts
14 upvotes
Toronto
Just sign up this morning. But before i cancel it, i receive a email from FT that says sorry to see you go. Does it happen to anyone? Where to check if I have cancelled the sub?
Aug 20, 2016
303 posts
268 upvotes
click on articles it says not included with subscription.
need premium digital to read anything but headlines.
Jul 11, 2018
6 posts
5 upvotes
Same thing happened to me. I signed up yesterday, but the subscription didn't immediately show on my Google account. Now this morning I received the same "sorry to see you go" email from FT, but the trial subscription is now in my Google subscriptions page as "Active". Strange.
I can't access anything on the FT site because when I try to sign in using my Google account to access content, it goes through an unending loop of "We found your subscription..." and "Signing you in to your account".
I just checked, and there's no option under "Manage" in my Google account to cancel this! So FT says I'm no longer a customer, but Google says that I have an active trial subscription.