Hot Deals

[Google Pay] Free 6 months of the Financial Times (YMMV)

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 24th, 2019 4:28 pm
May 9, 2005
109 posts
32 upvotes
TORO
maple168 wrote:
Mar 26th, 2019 7:33 am
Just sign up this morning. But before i cancel it, i receive a email from FT that says sorry to see you go. Does it happen to anyone? Where to check if I have cancelled the sub?
I got 4 of those emails in a row 'sorry to see you go' even though I didn't cancel.
Sep 17, 2009
143 posts
17 upvotes
I have exactly the same issue. Signed up yesterday, used it for 1.5 days and 45min ago received 6 emails (assuming 1 for each month of the free trial).
I tried contacting FT chat, and they cannot do anything as "Google setup this account"
And I can't get a hold of anything Google because their support center has no articles related to this, and they have no phone numbers or chat lines
So I guess we're stuck...
WTF?
canadiantired wrote:
Mar 26th, 2019 8:45 am
Same thing happened to me. I signed up yesterday, but the subscription didn't immediately show on my Google account. Now this morning I received the same "sorry to see you go" email from FT, but the trial subscription is now in my Google subscriptions page as "Active". Strange.
I can't access anything on the FT site because when I try to sign in using my Google account to access content, it goes through an unending loop of "We found your subscription..." and "Signing you in to your account".
I just checked, and there's no option under "Manage" in my Google account to cancel this! So FT says I'm no longer a customer, but Google says that I have an active trial subscription.
Dec 5, 2012
47 posts
44 upvotes
ETOBICOKE
bylo wrote:
Mar 25th, 2019 4:12 pm
Use Google to your advantage, not only for a free subscription but also a free reminder (using Google Calendar) set a day or two before the trial ends so you can cancel before the auto-renew kicks in.

Simple. Easy. Free. All Google.
When you subscribe to any free trial, as soon as you complete subscribing, next thing should be head to Google Play store > subscription and unsubscribe immediately. So you never have to worry about forgetting it.
Apr 12, 2013
343 posts
197 upvotes
BC
Same here, 4 emails, all at 6.08am MT. saying sorrybto see you go. Not cancelled yet either, though I did unsubscribe from a couple of default emails.

What a messy introduction, not impressed.
Jul 11, 2018
6 posts
5 upvotes
cager wrote:
Mar 26th, 2019 9:26 am
I have exactly the same issue. Signed up yesterday, used it for 1.5 days and 45min ago received 6 emails (assuming 1 for each month of the free trial).
I tried contacting FT chat, and they cannot do anything as "Google setup this account"
And I can't get a hold of anything Google because their support center has no articles related to this, and they have no phone numbers or chat lines
So I guess we're stuck...
WTF?
Although this was an offer from Google Pay, which has its own subscriptions page (https://pay.google.com/payments/u/0/hom ... ndServices), you can't actually "manage" the subscription from there. The subscription shows up on your Google Play page (https://play.google.com/store/account/subscriptions). From there you can cancel the FT trial. When I did, I got an email confirmation of the cancellation from Google and it now shows up on the Google Pay subscriptions page under "Cancelled".
Hope this helps some people.
Still means we don't have access to the FT site, but I just wanted to make sure it wasn't hit with a $44.50 change in 6 months.
Sep 17, 2009
143 posts
17 upvotes
Yeah I don't want to cancel it just yet, in case they do a "oh you cancelled your subscription so we can't sign you up again"
canadiantired wrote:
Mar 26th, 2019 9:59 am
Although this was an offer from Google Pay, which has its own subscriptions page (https://pay.google.com/payments/u/0/hom ... ndServices), you can't actually "manage" the subscription from there. The subscription shows up on your Google Play page (https://play.google.com/store/account/subscriptions). From there you can cancel the FT trial. When I did, I got an email confirmation of the cancellation from Google and it now shows up on the Google Pay subscriptions page under "Cancelled".
Hope this helps some people.
Still means we don't have access to the FT site, but I just wanted to make sure it wasn't hit with a $44.50 change in 6 months.
Penalty Box
Aug 26, 2001
17000 posts
654 upvotes
Oak Ridges, ON
Google needs to learn from Amazon how to handle this subscription stuff :/
Apr 12, 2013
343 posts
197 upvotes
BC
Suggestion: email your cancellation messages with a request to investigate to:

subscriptions@ft.com

You will get a case number, and hopefully if enough of us ask for help they will dig into it. Personally, I have absolutely no idea if I am subscribed, committed (payment, not sanity!) or in limbo. Fiasco for FT PR.......
Aug 1, 2008
88 posts
12 upvotes
Toronto
Got charged $44.50 smh, right beside the charge is a description of (6 month trial) lol what a shit show
Sep 17, 2009
143 posts
17 upvotes
lol - i just got a "Welcome to the FT" email, hours after my 6 cancellation emails

what a sh*t show
May 23, 2011
49 posts
11 upvotes
St Catharines
Gotten 7 emails so far. 6 to welcome and 1 "sorry to see you go". Solid.
Nov 23, 2012
416 posts
116 upvotes
Toronto
canadiantired wrote:
Mar 26th, 2019 8:45 am
Same thing happened to me. I signed up yesterday, but the subscription didn't immediately show on my Google account. Now this morning I received the same "sorry to see you go" email from FT, but the trial subscription is now in my Google subscriptions page as "Active". Strange.
I can't access anything on the FT site because when I try to sign in using my Google account to access content, it goes through an unending loop of "We found your subscription..." and "Signing you in to your account".
I just checked, and there's no option under "Manage" in my Google account to cancel this! So FT says I'm no longer a customer, but Google says that I have an active trial subscription.
I have the same thing happen when I use Chrome. I then download the Ft.com app it then works.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
15661 posts
7946 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
Rahmonic wrote:
Mar 26th, 2019 9:42 am
When you subscribe to any free trial, as soon as you complete subscribing, next thing should be head to Google Play store > subscription and unsubscribe immediately. So you never have to worry about forgetting it.
That depends on how the subscription actually works, i.e. is it implemented as a single 6-month long subscription or is it implemented as 6 individual one-month subscriptions that are designated free as each of those months come up? For example the Stack prepaid credit card offered 1 year of Amazon Prime for free by rebating each monthly ~$9 debit from Amazon. OTOH the Brim credit card offered 1 year of Amazon Prime for free by prepaying a year's subscription.

It also depends on whether a cancellation takes effect right away or at the end of the current period.

It's not clear from the Google/FT offer how they implemented this. My suggestion works either way. My concern was that if you cancel right away you could lose the remaining 5 months. I realize that subsequently someone clarified that it's safe to cancel right away. But that was hardly obvious at the start.
veni, vidi, Visa
Dec 5, 2012
47 posts
44 upvotes
ETOBICOKE
bylo wrote:
Mar 26th, 2019 1:01 pm
That depends on how the subscription actually works, i.e. is it implemented as a single 6-month long subscription or is it implemented as 6 individual one-month subscriptions that are designated free as each of those months come up? For example the Stack prepaid credit card offered 1 year of Amazon Prime for free by rebating each monthly ~$9 debit from Amazon. OTOH the Brim credit card offered 1 year of Amazon Prime for free by prepaying a year's subscription.

It also depends on whether a cancellation takes effect right away or at the end of the current period.

It's not clear from the Google/FT offer how they implemented this. My suggestion works either way. My concern was that if you cancel right away you could lose the remaining 5 months. I realize that subsequently someone clarified that it's safe to cancel right away. But that was hardly obvious at the start.
Google/FT offer you can just unsubscribe from Google Play Store, I just did it and it says it will be cancelled on September 24th
So far every subscription I have ever seen works the same way, Netflix, Audible, music streaming, LinkedIn Premium
[OP]
Nov 21, 2017
165 posts
261 upvotes
Toronto
Update: Seems like you can only access the premium contents through the app